Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Going from iPhone 6 to Android…
  • munkster
    Free Member

Am considering switching (back) to Android after a few years’ flirtation with Apple. I do like the iPhone but it does perturb me the cost to “upgrade”, or more accurately “replace”, which I am considering doing so that Mrs M can have my iPhone 6 to replace her ancient and creaking 4.

Question is – is there a current Android phone I could buy new for £150-200 that would have a similar level of performance as the iPhone? Like I say, I had an Android phone before the iPhone so I am not in any way bothered about changing OS, it’s more the idea of getting a little more for my money that appeals! £150-200 wouldn’t go very far if I were to go iOS again methinks.

TIA as ever!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Moto G5. I’ve owned two iterations of it, and have no complaints. Just make sure your heavy hitting apps are running on internal storage rather than the SD card and you are good to go.

thepurist

Xiaomi mi 5 was rated similar to the galaxy s7 but fits your price range

johnnystorm

Push the budget a bit and the G5S looks good.

I bought my MIL a Moto C Plus for £99 to replace her (my old) iPhone 4S and I’ve been very impressed at what £100 buys you.

munkster
    Free Member

Verrry interesting, ta, that Moto G5S looks good. Will peruse further, thanks.

tomnavman
    Free Member

Whilst cheap Android are getting better…

a similar level of performance as the iPhone

Not a chance for that budget.

What features do you use the most? If you use the camera you will be VERY disappointed with a cheap Android phone.

chvck
    Free Member

Question is – is there a current Android phone I could buy new for £150-200 that would have a similar level of performance as the iPhone?

IMO, no chance.

On a sidenote, I have a Xiamoi Mi5. The only sellers I could find were on ebay and mine came with a dodgy ROM on it (something many people probably wouldn’t notice) which could be fine or could be rammed full of dodgy stuff. The first thing that I did was put the official global stable ROM on it but that’s certainly not for everyone – I had to go through a website that was mostly in Chinese to request an unlock and then flash it etc… So possibly not the right phone for most unless you can find a reputable seller.

stumpy01

Define similar, I suppose.

The camera on my Lenovo is not as good as those on flagship phones. It’s perfectly usable, but cameras on the latest flagship phones are much better.
    But, apart from that I am not sure there is that much real world difference between them.

Perhaps if I was to use a flagship phone all day every day and then swapped to my Lenovo I would notice the difference, but every time I have a fiddle with a friend’s iPhone or Galaxy S7 etc. I am left wondering where the extra money has gone.

munkster
    Free Member

I guess when I say “similar level of performance” I more mean “doesn’t run like a total utter dog” which I’ve found to be the case when I’ve lazily bought cheapo Android handsets usually for Mrs M. I spose I don’t realistically expect it to run as quick as an iPhone 6 but anything that runs “well” is what I would like!

And yes, I do use the camera… But Mrs M doesn’t, so maybe the Android phone could be her iPhone 4 replacement then.

allthepies
    Free Member

Bought a Xiamoi Mi5s from Gearbest a few months back, arrived quickly with the pukka Global ROM.

stumpy01

I would suggest the Lenovo P2 I bought earlier this year, but it’s hard to get hold of now as Three have stopped stocking it.

My Wife has just upgraded to a Samsung J3 2017 and that seems pretty good.

I did a Flickr album of pics from my P2, as a Facebook friend was considering getting one. I’ll try and post the link so you can see what a budget camera can do.

IMG_20170627_095411

Admittedly, there aren’t many low light examples which is where it stats to struggle.
    I’ve taken loads more pics since then, so should probably update the album.

Kryton57

Moto G5. I’ve owned two iterations of it, and have no complaints

+1

munkster
    Free Member

I would suggest the Lenovo P2 I bought earlier this year

£300 off Amazon, only double the lower end of my budget, perfect! 😉 Just kidding, thanks for the suggestion, it might be cheaper elsewhere…

stumpy01

munkster – Member
    £300 off Amazon, only double the lower end of my budget, perfect!

It was only £200 from Three when they were selling it, so would have fitted into the top end of your budget. But Yeah, they don’t do it anymore.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Going from iPhone 6 to Android…’ is closed to new replies.