Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Going for a full custom steel hard tail
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

What experiences have people had with going down this road? I’m in a position where I think I know precisely what I want, but I’m curious to hear whether anyone who held the same view, ended up feeling the same way after they took delivery of the frame.

I’m considering it simply because having tried three different hard tails in the last 12 months, I just can’t get something that’s 100% right.

I’ve been in touch with 18Bikes in the Peak and they seem to be able to offer precisely what I’m after with the required attention to detail so anyone whose bought a custom frame from them, I’d be really interested to hear your thoughts. Also considering the Curtis route.

RealMan
    Free Member

Have you looked at soulcraft as well?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Nope but I will now. Thanks. Do you have one yourself?

singlespeedstu

I’ve had a few custom frames. (in Ti though not steel.)

The only advice I can offer is talk to a few different builders and ask loads of questions. Look at other stuff they’ve built and then just go with what feels right to you .

It’s great fun but at times can be a little frustrating.

Oh and when they tell you how long it’ll take to build double it and then add a bit more.

5lab

I’m building my own, next year

http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/custom_bike_frames-About_The_Course-44.php

Possably too far away to give you a decent review though 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

LOL at the time thing! Yes, well this is what it was like buying the Nicolai and that was only a few custom elements like a specific seat tube length but it still took twice as long as expected.

the_lecht_rocks

if it’s custom, and it’s sized to suit, what’s not to like ?

if you don’t get what you want on a custom build, based on your info, who’s to blame ???

good luck – what are your specific requirements ?

did you ever get a ti456 ?

firestarter
    Free Member

I fancy the Dave yates course but put off somewhat by the pics of previous builds, some of them look so out of proportion and oddly sized that they must be sized wrongly

geetee1972
    Free Member

did you ever get a ti456 ?

I did and it was amazing, but just too big. I ended up with an 18″ and it just felt too long and tall for what I wanted. I sold it on to a mate for what I bought it for so nothing lost.

Had a medium Soul, which was lovely but also a bit too long and a bit too ‘whippy’ for a heffer like me. Now have a small Alpine and that’s perfect in terms of height and standover, but just a little too short.

Everything is close but not perfect. The real question is TLR, how often is the idea of perfection just that – an idea that never actually ends up being the same in reality?

BadlyWiredDog

The real question is TLR, how often is the idea of perfection just that – an idea that never actually ends up being the same in reality?

I know a few people who seem to be engaged on an ultimately fruitless quest for ‘the perfect bike’, trouble is the goalposts keep moving. One year’s it’s a long-travel ti hardtail, then it’s a rigid 29er, then it’s a full sus 29er, next it’ll be rigid singlespeed 650B, but the top tube’s too long and… so it goes on, for ever. I’d rather settle for ‘just right enough’ and right now, ‘just right enough’ is ‘pretty damn right’ and just enjoy riding.

Thing is, the goalposts do seem to move. A few years ago – wanders back on topic – I had Setavento build me a ti frame based on a Marin Rocky Ridge because I really liked the geometry. I think if I’d known a little more about frame building, I’d have specced it differently – maybe a fatter top tube, but definitely a stronger bottom bracket area. I liked the end result, but a few years down the line, my idea of what works has changed and while I like the ti frame, I’d rather have something slacker at the front and a bit more laterally together at the rear and maybe with a lower front end and steeper seat angle for better climbing.

But while I think all those things and I could go to a custom frame builder and ask them for all that, I’d be completely reliant on them knowing how to translate that into a frame and…

Didn’t you write that ace review of the Ragley Ti? Why don’t you just buy one of them? I hear they’re quite good 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

Didn’t you write that ace review of the Ragley Ti? Why don’t you just buy one of them? I hear they’re quite good

BadlyWiredDog you have the radar of an AWAX and the scent of a bloodhound!

Yes, that is precisely what I keep coming back to. May have to knock on Brant’s door after all.

RagTi
    Free Member

Just flogged my Rag Ti, and not because it is a bad bike, very different to ride for all reasons positive, recomemnded.

Why not try a Ragley Bagger with some 180s up front ! 😯

mildred

You were loving your Alpine a week ago, what happened with that?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Still love it. It’s just not quite perfect being just a little too short. That’s the point of the thread.

Do you just work around the imperfection and adapt or do you go for broke?

mildred

BadlyWiredDog

BadlyWiredDog you have the radar of an AWAX and the scent of a bloodhound!

You saying I smell like a dog, erm… hmmmph 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

😛

tommid
    Free Member

I fancy the Dave yates course but put off somewhat by the pics of previous builds, some of them look so out of proportion and oddly sized that they must be sized wrongly

Surely part of the attraction for some is building a bike that fits there weird dispropotioned bodies, that they can’t buy bikes from traditional bike companies.

singlespeedstu

or do you go for broke?

Yes you do. It’s a custom build. 8)

singlespeedstu

or do you go for broke?

Yes you do. It’s a custom build. 8)

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m considering it simply because having tried three different hard tails in the last 12 months, I just can’t get something that’s 100% right.

You sound like you are looking for disappointment.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do you just work around the imperfection and adapt or do you go for broke?

I’ve ridden lots of bikes, most have been fine, some very good, and only a few I couldn’t get on with.

I gave up looking for a perfect bike years ago…more fun to have a few different ones.

But what do I know, I ride 55 and 59 road bikes happily 😕

irc

Saw a thread somewhere about this framebuilder. THe guy that ordered this bike was happy with it. Certainly non standard. Seem to remember there was a waiting time for orders though due to popularity/workload.

http://www.shandcycles.com/2010/08/15/mor-dearg/

the_lecht_rocks

STEM LENGTH / SADD;E POSITION.

ENOUGH ADJUSTMENT FOR ME……

aaaargh caps !

geetee1972
    Free Member

Well it’s OK because I put my money where my mouth is and went for the Ragley Ti.

I’ve read that they’re very good apparently 😀

digiphotoneil
    Free Member

Rode a Ragley Ti on an Ed Oxley jumping course. Really liked it, seemed perfectly balanced with no quirks to adjust to.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i got a solitude (now no longer being made). process was longer than planned, but it all came good. had it over 4 years now and still love it.

its been rohloffed, SS’d, 2×9’ed and now 1×10.

main tips – future-proof it as much as possible! if i did it again i’d get a larger BB shell (for press-fit/EBB whatever), tapered head tube, seat tube to take a dropper post and i’d make sure the seat tube was a standard size, so that it would take a front mech properly.

i bought it based around a rohloff, but took the rohloff out of the solitude a couple of years later. the lack of cable stops etc was a real hassle.

i still love it though… 🙂

AJ
    Free Member

@geetee1972 My frame is currently in the jig at 18bikes and i can say up until now i have been more than pleased with Matt and Si’s approach to my project. As to the reasons i went custom, what i think work as bike for me is’nt quite available anywhere else.
    I chose 18 because they said yes… well maybe yes when alot of others said no way .

Matt has been really happy to make my dreams work and not just say no that won’t work.

Trekster

AJ…until you ride it how do you know it will “work” ❓

I went from a 16yr old Bonty which I will have renovated and ride again to a Pig. Have no idea why it “works” considering the vast differences in the 2 bikes but it felt “right” from the moment I sat on it and turned the first pedal stroke.
    Would have absolutely no idea where to start speccing a frame but would love to to a Yates build when I win the lottery 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Make sure It’s fillet brazed, then IF, you want to change it a bit later, you can, easily.

Plus it looks MILES better….

AJ
    Free Member

Trekster I don’t and I didn’t say that,

I said I have been more than happy with Matt and Si’s approach to my project.

I gave them the numbers, so it’s my risk, but if it pays off it’ll be a great money saver.

BadlyWiredDog

Well it’s OK because I put my money where my mouth is and went for the Ragley Ti.

I’ve read that they’re very good apparently

Yeah, I’m sure I read that somewhere as well. Enjoy, they are absolutely freakin’ brilliant things 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Going for a full custom steel hard tail’ is closed to new replies.