Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Going fixed (seatpost, not gears)
  • stooo
    Free Member

After ages of envying my friends who didn't have to stop to drop their saddle on fast steep techy descents I finally bit the bullet and bought a gravity dropper post a few months back. I have to admit to loving it. It went straight on my 140mm travel trail bike and changed the way I rode trail centre type stuff, with jumps and drops… once I got used to remembering to drop the thing just before a bit of air.

Recently, I've been hankering after a more sprightly ride, with a lighter build, shorter travel and more climbing ability…. so, I swapped out my 140mm trail bike (MSC Zion) for a 120mm endurance type bike (Trek Fuel EX).

I built up the fuel fairly light, with most of the bits I'd all ready lightened on the MSC… but the Gravity dropper just didn't seem right on there. I also found I wasn't dropping it as much on descents.

I've changed my riding to suit the new bike, going for a more head down, saddle up and pedal style. I'm enjoying it so much that I've got rid of the GD in favour of a lighter, and all together better looking, Thomson post. Yes it's made me a little more nervy on drops and jumps, but overall I'm enjoying a bike that likes to stay glued to the trail and rail those corners really fast… I'm not missing it.

Yes, I can stop and drop the saddle with the aid of a QR seat clamp, but I'm finding that I'm just not doing that so much any more.

Anyone else gone back to fixed height ?

pinches
    Free Member

never changed to a gravity dropper.

i always run the post on my on one at the same height, last time i rode at inners i dropped my seat half way from normal height and actually hated it, and stopped at the next point and put it back up! like you say on the odd drop its a bit nervy, i just got used to having to get my arse off the back of the bike and push my feet forwards a bit more for drops.

My QR seatclamp is massively worn (hope, brass bush) so i need to get another, and i'll be buying a bolted one this time

5thElefant
    Free Member

I briefly went back to an old-fashioned post when my GD snapped in half. I can't say I enjoyed the experience.

andrewh
    Free Member

I've got an integrated seatpost, even less adjustment than you have. Raising it requires the insertion of some spacers, lowering requires a hacksaw. No problems so far.
    They claim it is stiffer, but to be honest I can't tell any difference. Managed the DH course at Inners on it.

schmiken

I've always been a highposter XC jeyboy!

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

The seat height stays constant on both of my bikes. Both bolt-up seat clamps. I just hang my scrawny backside off the back of the saddle.

duntstick
    Free Member

I remember wishing you could raise and lower the seat at the push of a button loooooooong time ago on my Raleigh Grifter,I used to carry spanners around with me for the fun bits. I'm not giving up on my adjustable post now I have one.

(Even if it is knackered and awaiting a replacement)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Going fixed (seatpost, not gears)’ is closed to new replies.