Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Going clipless … tips, hints and health warnings!
  • secret-squirrel
    Free Member

I am going to have a try … tempted to for years, but the pedals arrived today and the shoes tomorrow (hopefully). If nothing else, I at least need to know if they are going to suit me.

I've read various horror stories and also heard people who wouldn't use anything other than clipless, so it's obviously a matter of taste.

I would appreciate any tips for my first forays with the pedals, based on your own experience … what to do, not to do, avoid at all costs, etc.

A little worried, but also looking forward to it.

Cheers!

Lactic
    Free Member

Start off with the tension on the clips set nice and loose, and get used to unclipping your foot before you come to a stop. You are bound to have a pratfall or two to start with, so best not practice in heavy traffic, but persevere and you soon won't be able to ride without them.

Mintman
    Free Member

Don't forget to unclip prior to reaching traffic lights, stiles, gates etc. The fall from "super-cool clipless rider" to snotty mess on the floor can be a wee bit embarassing…

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Yeah make sure you practise unclipping! I love using clipless pedals on the road, but I'm still cautious about them on anything remotely technical just because I like the option of getting my feet down very quickly! I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

Its amazing how much difference it makes being clipped in. Faster speeds for less effort 😀

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Yes, I like the idea of easier and faster ascents, but remain a little concerned about the "pratfall" side of it. I know some fairly quiet trails to practise on. I think it'll be up and down the road to start off with, although tarmac is a bit unforgiving 😳

joolsburger
    Free Member

Set the cleats up right by hanging your feet off a table and seeing where your toes point, the cleat should be facing straight on but your shoes aren't always going to, your shoed feet should point whatever way they naturally point when hanging but the cleats always straight on, this means the cleats could well be quite skewed in the shoe – this is fine. Initially set the cleats up right at the back of the slots as your feet are likely to have been in that position on your flats. If you get this wrong you will find it hard to unclip as you will have to twist your feet further from their natural resting position to get out of your pedals and your knees may suffer becase your feet aren't where the like to be. Your setting the shoes cleats up for your natural foot position not forcing your feet to point straight on.

Your pedals probably have a tension adjuster with + and – symbols on them undo them to the minimum tension on both sides of both pedals (this is important)

Clip out before you stop or you will come a cropper!!!

I and I expect most other habitual SPD users can clip out so quickly it's not an issue even on very technical stuff. Getting them set right is really important.

Use some threadlock on the Cleats if they come loose you'll have a nightmare getting out!!

PiknMix
    Free Member

Lean against a wall and get used to clipping and unclipping, and don't worry when you miss you pedal for the first few rides.

DON'T pull a wheely as I did on my first spud outing, went off the back and couldn't unclip upside down and looked very silly in front of a very hot group of ladies!!!!

Woody
    Free Member

The practise bit is easy as you are thinking about it. THE FALL happens when you are nice and relaxed and simply forget. I'd be very surprised if there is a single person on here who hasn't had the embarrassing moment.

Mine was cycling nonchalantly up the side of my local to the packed beer garden 😳

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Sound advice above.You WILL fall off because of clipless pedals,but you'll soon get familiar with them.
    When I first used them,I would un-clip,if I knew a technical section was approaching…and invariably I would dab,or fall. Now,I check that I'm clipped-in when arriving at the tricky stuff.I feel more in control,with my feet up.

SnS
    Free Member

All of the above advice.
    Plus, if you've not bought them already, try the duel sided/entry cleats. Just gives you a bit more confidence.

It took me a good few years to get around to trying clipless. Finally took the plunge some five years ago. A couple of butt-cheek clenching moments were inevitable. But took far less time to adjust than I thought.

Started off with mine loose & they kinda stayed(ish) that way. Even a mild pedal strike has my foot unclipped.

Chris

Bing
    Free Member

About 10' before you wanna stop – for god sake unclip at least one foot! Once you got that sorted you will never look back!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I had spds on my 1997 Stumpy and eventually gave up on them.

Two years after getting my 2007 Stumpy I got some XT SPDs – 10 minutes after setting off, some pedestrians suddenly stopped and moved, I slammed on the brakes and keeled over – I had forgotten about the pedals! Once grazed leg and a very scratched spd – DOH! Now fully used to them and all is good.

If I think I might need to release (junctions, very technical bits, etc) I release one foot and "cover" the pedal.

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice … will be bearing it all in mind very soon, I hope.

I think what worries me is the thought of arriving at the steep / technical bit, suddenly realising I'm in the wrong gear and grinding to a sudden and rather undignified stop. I still do this and wonder if I've ever really progressed beyond the 3 gears on the Raleigh Shopper I had when I was 8. Maybe it's laziness, so the need to make better gear choices (minus the ability to get a foot on the ground PDQ) will actually make me a better rider …

I'm an optimist at heart 😉

matt_outandabout

You will never go back.

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Should I get some knee and elbow protectors? 😳

Mintman
    Free Member

I dont think it requires extra protection; I'm sure most people that made the transition did so with some extra caution and common sense. I run mine loose and can honestly say I've never fallen off because of them on the trail. The biggest riski face is riding back to the car/cafe/pub and forgetting I'm clipped in when I attempt to dismount!

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Thanks Mintman – it's good to hear from someone who hasn't fallen off because of them on the trail, although I'm sure I will.

tony24
    Free Member

Its great converted just over a month or 2 ago and will never go to flats again. I have how ever fallen, usually on silly steep climbs when you just cannot pedal any more and the pressure does not allow you to unclip 😆

But falling does not hurt tbh when you fall just relax and you land on your side in a bush or onto some mud.

when you tyre slips on a slippery root is another classic. But when you begin seeing the benefits of it you will think i like this.

Poggy
    Free Member

As 'Matt Outandabout'

You'll love them, 20% extra output with no extra effort, use them on mtb & road bike, fabulous!

Advice – As all have said, keep at least one side nice & loose to start with constantly clip in & out on initial rides. I always clip out kerb side, to make sure i know which side to lean into, there's never any doubt which side you're focussed on then…

Good Luck 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Does anyone know what 'SPD' actually means?

& no, It's not 'Shimano Pedal(ling) Dynamics'. It's 'Silly Pedal Design', or as some of us may have found out, 'Serious Predicament Of Doom'

epicyclo

Bolt my feet to a chunk of metal? No way 🙂

julians
    Free Member

I tried clipless pedals for about 6 months last year, and whilst they were far more efficient, and got me up hills faster, I was slower downhill and I have never had so many injuries/falls as when I had clipless pedals. I have now gone back to flats as I feel far more confident on downhill and technical sections , and for me that far outweighs the increased efficiency of being clipped in.

I also never felt the need for shin/knee/elbow pads until I started riding clipless pedals.

I'd use clipless if I was biking on the road/tame paths no question though.

mushrooms
    Free Member

I fell on my elbow a few times at first.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Go down the local playing fields for an hour to play about with them. Falling off on grass is a bit nicer than the road.

philsimm
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    You will never go back.

I did – just could not get used to being clipped in, after a couple of hairy moment on a a canal towpath! decide to go back to flats and 5 Tens. Much more confident now.

Horses for courses and that

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Recently taught my husband to ride a bike on the local playing field – watched him fall off a few times with nothing more than injured pride (and a few nettle stings) – I'm sure he'd love it if I started falling off too 😆

brooess
    Free Member

As above, you'll not go back. Climbing is easier and they keep you attached to the bike on technical stuff.
    Best advice is practice clipping out somewhere you can fall off without hurting yourself until you're happy. A field is good. I did it in the lounge (I was a student at the time, in someone else's house!)
    Also worth practising short trackstands, ie keeping your balance momentarily, it'll give you the second or 2 you need to unclip if you ever have to stop suddenly. It'll give you a lot more confidence.
    tbh it won't take long before you feel fine on them an unclipping becomes 2nd nature

cbrsyd
    Free Member

Don't want to hijack the post but I've got some Time Atacs that work really well on the road but can't get on with them off road. Need to plan when I unclip can't do it instinctively.

Bought Atac's because of my dodgy knees but are shimano SPD's easier to unclip?

sambob
    Free Member

try not to unclip your left foot and fall to the right or vice versa. that hurts more because your unclipped leg hits the frame on impact/

cinnamon_girl

Used spd's for years then changed to flats. So much happier. I just got sucked into 'if you're a proper rider then you must use spd's' thing.

It's not compulsory. 😉

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

I rode trails with clips and straps until clipless pedals were developed for mountain bikes. Clipless are far superior, although I don't care what anyone else rides.

When I want to be attached to the pedal, I am. When I want to take my foot off it, it comes right off as easily as it would off a flat pedal with no attachment at all.

I like being connected to the bike when that helps, and I like the fact that you aren't connected at all when you don't want to be. How does anyone ever get "stuck" on the pedal? The idea of riding DH on flats terrifies me. I want to keep contact.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

SPD =

Stop
    Panic
    Dump

😉

gothandy

Wear gloves when clipping in and out for the first time!

tazzymtb

do not threadlock your cleat, if anything make sure the little blighters have a thin smear of copper slip or similar otherwise when it's time to replace the cleats you'll need to drill them out which if a right faff. There's been enough posts on here about having to remove stuck cleats and that's without the added help of threadlock.

SPD's are top banana but just remember if you are going to fall off make sure yo do it in style in front of as many people as possible whilst screaming like a girl. (worked for me)

daveaasmith
    Free Member

Fact is, you WILL fall off, maybe not much, maybe loads, but it WILL happen.

Best thing is just to get out there, avoid the wet so you get used to the trails, and get your confidence up with them.

It VERY soon becomes second nature – and once you're there, you'll wonder how you managed without them!

Enjoy 🙂

Dave.

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Tazzymtb – but I am a girl! Do I have to scream like a boy instead?

Getting excited now, as the post should be here soon with my new shoes. I have a horrid .ppt presentation to get ready today, so falling off unceremoniously later will be my reward. Will head to the local playing field 😆 😳

joolsburger
    Free Member

I can't be clattering down a rocky trail flat out without my feet firmly attached, for me it's not about increasing pedalling power more about being well attached to the bike and able to use my feet to help things along when cornering etc.

If you get the set up right you wont have problems.

Getting the right level of twist is so important and most people don't do it, it's essential AFAIC. Not only will it save your knees it will also mean that you'll unclip so much more quickly and rarely if ever accidentally unclip.

Macavity
    Free Member
    hels
    Free Member

Yes – I have never had any falls from stopping and not getting foot out.

Have had a couple of embarrassing ones from starting a descent and not being able to get foot IN. Looking down, going all offline and off balance, trying to bail etc etc – but if you are used to riding flats the old flappy feet might not bother you !

titusrider
    Free Member

One thing i never get is the idea of clipping out to get through a technical section, this really decreases your chances of getting through it successfully. Stay confident, head up and stay clipped in, you will get through difficult sections with much greater control of the bike and less chance of comming of the pedal/ dabing/sitting on the crossbar/ raming your crotch into the stem/ etc
    (disclaimer: requires MTFU bravery)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Going clipless … tips, hints and health warnings!’ is closed to new replies.