Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Going 2×9 – anything i need to know?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Got an SLX 2009 3×9 chainset and looking to go 2×9 with an SLX 36-tooth middle ring and bashguard.
    Anything i need to know regarding chainline etc or should everything just marry up with the existing set up?

jam-bo

Don’t bother. Go 1×9. It’s bettererer

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Not round here its not, not with a 15kg bike and Pennine valleys to climb out of…

crikey
    Free Member

Get some bicycle clips or you’ll spoil your new suit!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Not bought it yet Crikey 🙂 (mind you, i’ve found a bespoke tailoring service on’t net so just need a tape measure)

jam-bo

Excuses. I winch my five up some pretty big hills on dartmoor with 1×10.

Having a granny ring makes you lazy.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

So you’ve not actually ridden my local hills yet you sneer at my question and make your claim based on a totally different regional enviroment?

Only on STW….

jam-bo

8)

loddrik
    Free Member

Don’t bother. Go 1×9. It’s bettererer

This

Dickyboy

MD – I went 2×9 with 36/22 chainset & the first thing I changed was back to 32/22 chainset as I found the jump at the front too big

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

I just done it.
    Took of big ring.
    Put in single ring bolts (6.5mm)
    Fitted stinger guide.
    Dropped the mech a few mm.
    Took a few chain links out.
    Haven’t put on a bash, going to see if it’s good without.

LAT

If moving from a 32 tooth middle to the 36, you may find you are shifting on to the granny ring more frequently.

There is an SLX front mech designed for double chainsets. They shift much more precisely than the triple version on a 2×9. It may be worth having one of those.

mjsmke

I went from an xt tripple, 22,32,44 to a double 26,36. I found the xt tripple mech works fine. i never used the old 22 granny. Now i find i stay in the 36 most the time and the 26 gets me out of trouble if im tired.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Going 2×9 – anything i need to know?’ is closed to new replies.