• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Going 1×9 / 1×10 – some (perhaps stupid) questions
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’m getting a new to me bike; a SC Chameleon. At the moment I’ve got a perfectly fine 3×9 X0 set up on my bike but will run a single front ring on the new bike.

1) Are single ring gears more likely to drop the chain as the don’t have a front mech keeping the chain on?

2) Are clutch mechs as good as chain guides? A zee mech and shifter, a Shimano cassette and chain are the same price as a lot of chain guides.

3) If clutch mechs aren’t enough, what are people’s suggestions for XC type chain guides? I’ve been really surprised by the cost of some of them! I like the look of the Superstar XCR (BB fit) guide but it gets very mixed reviews. I definitely want to err on the side of light weight simplicity as opposed to hurling myself through rock gardens at 30 mph and keeping the chain on.

Before anyone suggests “ride the bike and see if you lose the chain”, I’m picking up the frame in the UK but bringing it back to Thailand where mtb parts are pretty hard to come by.

Thanks

weeksy

1. Depends on the chainring
    2. Sometimes, they are open to debate. A proper chainguide is arguably ‘better’
    3. Don’t buy Superstar ones… they’re cheap.. well, because they’re crap. The E-13 one whilst expensive is very very good

fin25
    Free Member

Narrow/wide front chainring with clutch mech = no need for chain guide

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

How about the blackspire stinger? Is it cheap for a reason too? It gets much better reviews online?

Do you mean the E-13 XCX weeksy?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I would run a top guide, a NW ring and a clutch mech.

weeksy

Yes mate, the XCX is excellent piece of kit. Mine was the ST- version as I was running a PRessfit so had it seat tube mounted.

So so so much better than the Superstar one it replaced.

jonnouk
    Free Member

A top guide may not be necessary if you are only looking for 95% reliability. With a Zee & N/W on my Patriot the chain has only dropped twice both whilst going through/out-of bumpy compressions (only 3 days on it though). On a hardtail I would guess you’d still drop chains but it would be a rare occurence as you can run the chain tighter and there is no growth.

Overall, I’m impressed but not overawed by N/W & clutch-mech combo. It’s a marked improvement over stock ring & mech but not a chain-device killer.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I think I’ll go for the XCX. I’m looking to spend as little as possible. Going from 9 speed would need mech, shifter, cassette, NW ring and chain. Then, if I still dropped chains, I’d need a guide too.

A clutch mech, NW ring and guide are a bit much for me. I’m getting the Chameleon, not because of my gnar credentials, but because my old-man’s back can’t be doing with a stretched XC frame.

Thanks for the replies.

D0NK

I’ve been really surprised by the cost of some of them!

no shit, what is effectively a jammed dérailleur for more than the price (sometimes a lot more) of a working one.

I’m currently using one of these on my CX bike, admittedly not had the harshest of tests but no problems so far, will be knocking one up for my mtb when that goes single ring before I spend proper money on a guide.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

That’s lovely DONK.

Surely lovely enough to take to market.

benz
    Free Member

Bbg bash and inner ‘bash’ from them here….on my hardtail and never a problem. Looks mat and tidy too.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes mate, the XCX is excellent piece of kit. Mine was the ST- version as I was running a PRessfit so had it seat tube mounted.
    So so so much better than the Superstar one it replaced.

This

D0NK

Surely lovely enough to take to market.

unlike this picasso (first hit on google image chain device)

it’s on my commuter so I don’t care. Function (and price) over form everytime, probably lighter than most proper chain devices too.
    Besides it Skoolshoes design so I can’t take the credit for it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Going 1×9 / 1×10 – some (perhaps stupid) questions’ is closed to new replies.