Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Going 1×10/11 – do I need a chain device?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So I’m sure most read my thread about the new Orange 5 having no front mech and me now needing a 1x drivetrain.

Now that’s sorted (thanks Orange 🙂 ) im wondering do I need a vmcgain device?

I’ve always ran a triple or double so I simply don’t know with a 1x drive train.

I’ll have a NW upfront, is that enough?

jam-bo

In my experience, no. Clutch mech and NW chainring will be fine. I’ve lost a chain once in two years and without a chain device it takes a few seconds to put it back on.

Simon

Clutch mech and narrow wide ring should be all you need.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah I have a clutch mech too. Perfect.

Cheers 🙂

seadog101

Just swapped to NW for 1×10 on my hardtail. Nothing more still on regular mech, cassette and chain. Working perfectly.

seadog101

Just swapped to NW for 1×10 on my hardtail. Nothing more, still on regular mech, cassette and chain. Works perfectly.

BigDummy
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Only when it’s worn out…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yes, IMO, although not quite as antagonistic as good old Team Robot.

It’s certainly better than before, but I’d still lose a chain very few rides. No use when racing, and with the likes of 77designs & one up doing minimal little one for £30 odd, it’s a no brainier for me.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Hobnob do you have a link to the model you recommend

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I just use one of these: http://77designz.com/product/freesolo-iscg-05

It’s a bit more expensive now, it’s rare I lose a chain now, might be better if I ran a full guide, but that’s a bit overkill, plus they drag on the bottom roller a surprising amount.

SirHC

Yes, run the oneup components guide: its cheap, light and adds additional chain security, OTB events arn’t pleasant due to chains coming off!

Chain Guide – ISCG05

philwarren11
    Free Member

I couldnt ride without a chain device personally.

eshershore
    Free Member

running 1 x 10 with clutch mech and thick/thin chain ring, not lost chain yet.

previous bike had same setup with E13 upper guide, but it just made noise / contact in low gears in the mud so removed it

kiwijohn

+1 for the One up.
    Started to lose the chain a bit more often than I should on the Absolute Black NW, even with a clutch mech.
    Chain ring still has plenty of life left in it.

kimbers

Some suspension designs are more likely to need one, ime, no idea about orange , but my Process I have an mrp 1x.
    Happened a few times, especially annoying in race runs.
    I also find shimano has a stronger clutch, which helps, I had to keep retightenibg the SRAM clutch

Tracey

Running without one on the Chameleon N/W ring and a clutch mech. Got a Oneup on my Enduro, looks like Specialized use a very similar version, as I didn’t want to risk it coming off and damaging the carbon.

whitestone
    Free Member

Running 1×10 with NW chainring (have used both Raceface & Hope) with clutch mech. Not dropped a chain in nearly two years and that includes leaving the clutch mech in the off position at times when I forgot to set it to on after cleaning or whatever. So IME it’s the NW chainring that does most of the retention.

coogan
    Free Member

Been running 1×11 for about two years now with no chain device and think the chains dropped off once. See no need at all for one personally. It’s been raced and Alp’d with no problems. Like what’s been said, might be different for different suspension designs.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If you are doing any racing definitely get one.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

I think the five is still ISCG3 not 5 as highlighted above .

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d have thought Oranges were more likely to need one, with the chain growth?

I fancy one of these for my Reign, though I’ll need to wait until they get a bit cheaper…
    http://www.mrpbike.com/amg/

nwmlarge
    Free Member

i use:

34t Uberbike NW ring

Zee Clutch mech on a wide range 11-36 cassette

Gamut SXR top and taco

This is hands down the best combo for me.

I have an ariel 162 and i like to jump and hit rock gardens etc with abandon and this is a very secure set up.

I tried a nw and clutch only but it kept jumping on rock gardens.

I had a specialized top guide only and that worked well but i got the SXR to add the bash protection.

prezet
    Free Member

You should be fine – but on my new Scout build I made use of the e-mount and put one of these on:

http://www.mrpbike.com/1xguide/

gelert
    Free Member

The 77designz stuff looks awesome. Thanks Hob Nob. I fancy a taco on my Alpine if they fit 30mm Cinch BBs (email sent).

I’m running an oval NW ring experiment ATM on Orange Five on SLX cranks 32T AB 104BCD and Zee mech. It sets the chain line to 48mm and there’s no way any guide will work which sucks. It’s an experiment so I’m ok with that and with one 20 miles ride in the bag and no dropped chain I’m happy so far. Tomorrow’s ride will be a better test though.

However I really do want a chain guide but I can’t step up to a 34T Oval which would go back to 49mm CL and make my existing guide fit again.

If I continue to like the oval I’ll have to get an AEffect crank (or another from RaceFace) and DM Oval and go back to 49.9mm CL (which poses another problem on a Five because of the very short chainstay it’ll not backpedal in 1st then). My Alpine is setup with this and the longer stay works fine at 49.9mm and even 51mm CL works but I already know 49mm on the Five isn’t great.

It’s a first world problem nightmare™ 😈

Goldigger
    Free Member

Mosey, where’s the current build progress pics?

cubist
    Free Member

Is it more likely to be needed on a FS rather than a Hardtail?

gelert
    Free Member

77designz replied asking for a photo as they think it (The bottom only TACO) may not fit with Cinch 30mm BSA BB on ISCG03 too.

Goldigger
    Free Member

If you but a complete bike from orange with 1×11 they all seem to come with a 1xMRP single guide. Maybe orange have a reason for doing this..

survivor

To many ” don’t need one” replies so I’ll chip in with the opposite!

I spent a massive £9.99 for the on one BB mounted guide. Was occasionally dropping chain when hitting fast rocky sections and jumps so according to the link at the top I’m riding hard enough 8) this is on my hardtail and to be fair I don’t play gently with it. ..

gelert
    Free Member

I have the BB mounted 1xMRP one that came on the bike… that works.

What I’m trying to do also works just fine with 24mm axle cranks.

I would LOVE to see what Orange are using on the Factory Alpine with SixC Cinch cranks but can’t get near one. All their standard builds still use the 24mm axle AEffect cranks.

gelert
    Free Member

It’s a slow burn for me, I’ve waited ages for one already but I did have a rock jump up off a trail and and destroy my original RaceFace NW ring that came with the bike. Maybe that was a one off…

I’m glad I’ve got the top guide. I’d just like a solution to the taco too since it’s not rock-et science, after all.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Goldigger, it’s stopped for now with just cables threaded and headset pressed.

Chainring and Extender came from Orange today and my reverb turned up.

Full build is tomorrow morning.

Pics will follow.

I’m going no chain guide to start and I’ll see how I go. I don’t know what iscg tabs I have either as Mark mentioned they’d changed.

maxtorque

When i first went 1by, a couple of years ago, i went deviceless, and lost the chain twice (both times when pedalling across what looked to be a fairly flat grassy field somewhat randomly). Fitted minimalist top guide (first an E13 jobby, now a OneUp Jobby) and never dropped the chain since.

Make sure you get one that is easily removable / adjustable in situ.

I don’t bother with the ones with an integrated bash guard, as i think the chain wheel with a chain around it is more likely to survive any large impact than the usually pretty poxy looking three little set screws that make up most guide mounts………

Northwind

Maybe. But try without first, because it’s no hardship to drop a chain occasionally while you’re experimenting.

The tiny wee minimal chainguides are good though, especially the iscg ones that don’t have a full ring or cage- so you can mount them without removing the chain or cranks, ideal. I put mine on for racing because I know my chain hates me. (can’t remember who actually made it, it’s the same deal as a one up type)

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Going 1×10/11 – do I need a chain device?’ is closed to new replies.