Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Going 1×10 on my trail bike (sorry another 1×10 thread)
  • stevede
    Free Member

Thinking of going 1×10 on my five. Have a few questions before i do.
    I currently have a 22/36 double and bash slx chainset with 9spd xt shifting and mechs. To go 1×10 i’m going for a gamut p30 chain guide on the front with xt shifter,rear mech and 11-36 cassette.

Question time before i add to my wishlist:

– Can i use a sram 10spd chain or does it need to be shimano?

– Can i use my existing slx chainset, losing the granny ring and keeping the 36 on the middle and will a 9spd chainring work or do they do 10spd specific rings?

– If so is 36 about right for a single front ring? Think 34 would have me spinning out on the downs but hopefully 36 will give me enough range with a 36 on the back as well for climbing.

I use my five for everything apart from full on xc which i use my inbred for. 2×9 works well but would be nice to lose a bit of clutter and a noisy front mech (my five is noisy enough already)!
    Any feedback from anyone who’s done similar much appreciated too.

Sorry if i’m going over old ground and thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Steve

peath
    Free Member

I use a SRAM 10 speed chain on a Shimano 10 speed SLX chain set with no problems.

Will be interested in answers to the other questions… (Also thinking of going 1×10 soon)

oxym0r0n

Watching with interest too.

You obviously need a new shifter, but I guess any old rear mech would work?

I’m waiting for the new E13 guide to come out that was on the front page of STW a couple of weeks back to convert my Yeti ARSsl to 1×9 then eventually 1×10. I think I’m going to go for 34 on the front as when I start spinning out on the SS I just let the bike roll 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but I guess any old rear mech would work?

no, the cable pull ratio’s are different this time. You need a new chain, cassette and shifter. I’ve no idea about chainrings, but running a ramped ring in a chain device isn’t recomended as they’re designed to let the chain come off not keep it on like a dedicated single ring.

stevede
    Free Member

Forgot about the ramped side of things on the chain rings. Will change that as well then, if it doesn’t have to be specifically 10spd then an e thirteen 35t ring could be perfect.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I use a Blackspire mono veloce chainring with my 1×10 setup.

argyle
    Free Member

further 1×10 information available in this useful handbook

poppa
    Free Member

I currently use a 1×9 set-up but my bottom gear (32×32) would be the same as yours (36×36).

It should be fine as long as you are quite fit, but it depends on the length of rides and terrain too. If you ride all day to the point of exhaustion you might find yourself running out of gears at the bottom end, and if you ride particularly long, steep climbs you might also have problems.

I tend to ride flat-out ~2hr rides on hilly but not mountainous terrain and find it perfect.

heihei

Running 1×10 with a 32 ring and 11-36 cassette. Find it perfect. Any bigger ring would have me walking quite a bit, and yet to spin out the 11t, but ride v little on road or fire roads.

dasilva
    Free Member

Does anyone notice high wear on these set ups? – I used 2×9 for a while with quite a hard lowest gear and I ended up going through blocks within a few months as the chain was stretching and wearing them out so quickly. I would expect 10spd to be worse and notice that shimano have a dedicated mtb 10spd chain due to “different load requirements”, whereas XX just uses a road chain as far as I can tell.

poppa
    Free Member

Does anyone notice high wear on these set ups?

Been using the same cassette for about 18 months now, about 10 months as 1×9, and haven’t experienced any out of the ordinary wear.

STATO
    Free Member

nice to lose a bit of clutter and a noisy front mech (my five is noisy enough already)!

Is the front mech actually noisy? my chain never touches it unless im shifting. If you want to stop clatter just run a lower roller with your current double set-up.

stevede
    Free Member

STATO – no not overly noisey, poorly set up by me in reality, run a blackspire stinger already and between that and my crap set up skills i have a few issues with chain rub that could be sorted with a bit of time and patience.
    In reality i will soon need a new cassette, chain and cables so whilst i need that lot and with a bit of extra cash inbound i thought i might try 1×10, i ride as much dh as i do trail and would prefer the security up front as long as it doesn’t compromise climbing back up too much.

I_Ache
    Free Member

As soon as my current setup wears out im going 1×10 its setup 1×9 at the moment bet has spent the rest of the year as 2×9. I have a 32×11-28 and struggle a little with that up the big hills but changing to a 36×11-36 should see me getting up the steep hills easier while also being able to get some good speed up on smoother DHs. In theory its perfect for me I love only having one ring up front and 10 speed makes it viable for my fitness level.

jcromton
    Free Member

9 speed chainrings work fine.

I operate a g-ring 32tooth.

e-thirteen freechucker chain guide. It seems to do the job, obviously not as good as rollers, but should cope with the mud better.

nsynk
    Free Member

my understanding from what i have read is the BCD on 9 speed compatable chainsets is different to that on 10 speed chainsets. so you can’t just attach a new chainring to your old chainset.

10 speed chains/ chainrings are narrower than 9 speed. so from what i have read it is not possible to upgrade to 10 speed without changing the chainset too.

Unless of course someone is making after market rings to fit.

if it is just lower gears you want youcan buy a 12 -36 9 speed cassette. that should be fine with your 36 tooth chairing.

Hope are brining out a 9-36 10 speed cassette. that coupled with a 32 chainring should cover a full range of gear ratio’s for any trsil riders needs.

jcromton
    Free Member

Seemingly the inner width of the chain is the same so it’s fine to operate a 9 speed ring as I am.

9-36 cassette? Surely that’ll require a different freehub body too?

phil.w
    Free Member

Surely that’ll require a different freehub body too?

It has no freehub body, fits directly to a pro2 hub. I think it’s agreat idea as the range of gears it gives is massive. Not cheap though.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Seemingly the inner width of the chain is the same so it’s fine to operate a 9 speed ring as I am.

9-36 cassette? Surely that’ll require a different freehub body too?

Yes, 10 speed chains are the same internal width as 9 so no probs there, no difference between 9 and 10 speed chainrings either, both will work.

The Hope Cassette fits on instead of the freehub body, the pawls directly mount into the cassette then the whole caboodle pushes onto the hub. This is obviously only compatible with Hope Hubs, oh, and also not released for production yet either….

stevede
    Free Member

Love the idea of the hope system but whilst it’s still in proto stage i’ll stick with the big S for drivetrain requirements.

Think my shopping list is now:

35t e thirteen chainring
    sram 10spd chain
    xt 10spd shifter
    xt 10spd mech
    gamut p30 chain guide
    xt 11-36 cassette

Plan on using my existing slx double chainset with the e thirteen ring unless this isn’t going to work? Do the granny ring tabs need modifying at all?

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Cheers for all the advice so far.

poppa
    Free Member

You can use the 35t ring on the middle of your SLX cranks, but you will need ‘short’ chainring bolts to account for the lack of a big ring. You can get these from CRC but IIRC http://www.hubjub.co.uk/ was cheaper for me. You won’t need to modify your granny tabs.

br
    Free Member

35t e thirteen chainring
    sram 10spd chain
    xt 10spd shifter
    xt 10spd mech
    gamut p30 chain guide
    xt 11-36 cassette

Plan on using my existing slx double chainset with the e thirteen ring unless this isn’t going to work? Do the granny ring tabs need modifying at all?

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Setup your front mech correctly, spend nothing and have a wider spread of gears?

stevede
    Free Member

b r – cheers for that 😀

phil.w
    Free Member

35t e thirteen chainring
    sram 10spd chain
    xt 10spd shifter
    xt 10spd mech
    gamut p30 chain guide
    xt 11-36 cassette

I’m not sure if the Sram chain will work.

The spacing on a Shimano 10spd mtb cassette is different to a Sram 10spd cassette.

Sram 10spd (mtb & road) is the same as Shimano 10spd road. It’s just Shimano mtb that is different.

The internal diameters of the chains are the same (or close enough) that front chainrings do not need to be specific. You just cant mix rear mechs and cassettes, so i assume also chains.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Here’s a few facts-

1- You can’t use your old rear mech (it can be bodged with a roller but it’s not perfect).

2- 9 speed rings work fine up front. I’ve even got an 8 speed ring on one bike.

3- As far as I know, only XTR has a special BCD.

Why not get a lighter guide like an E13 XCX? There’s no need on a trail bike for a big full guide.

Also, I’d recommend a smaller front ring. 32T offers the best compromise of climb-a-bility (again, if you live somewhere with short sharp climbs you can just power up or gentle gradients then 35 may be fine) and if you keep on spinning you can get the 32T up to about 27mph (albeit with a very high cadence of around 120). Beyond that and if the trail’s any good it’s freewheel time.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Going 1×10 on my trail bike (sorry another 1×10 thread)’ is closed to new replies.