Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Goggles and a 'normal' helmet
  • patriotpro
    Free Member

Who does it?

Main reason for wearing them is stop all the shit spraying in to my eyes.

I’ve got some DHB eye-gear but I don’t like wearing them so am considering some goggles.

How do you find them?

rocketman
    Free Member

Have worn goggles with my Giro Feature a few times (mostly under cover of darkness 🙂 ) and they work quite well the Feature has a slight recess for the strap. Oakley MX Pros and Spy Optics both resistant to fogging and optically pretty good.

Have also worn them when it’s snowing again most excellent.

Not entirely convinced about the combo for everyday trail riding though.

monkeyboyjc

isnt this the ‘double denim’ of the mtb world?

rocketman
    Free Member

As above it’s a very ‘unique’ look:

😉

Tom-B
    Free Member

This thread needs more pictures

patriotpro
    Free Member

As above it’s a very ‘unique’ look:

MY EYES 😯

That’s more of a colour-clash than the goggles clashing with the helmet.

The main concern was the fogging, I suppose you drop them when stopped or climbing and lift them back on for descending?

I_Ache
    Free Member

It works well but you look like a complete tit. But then you (everybody) looks like a tit when riding anyway so that shouldn’t matter.

Oh and on long slow climbs when they are soaked through they steam up a lot. So you have to take them off to see and then you get mud in your eye at that exact moment.

rocketman
    Free Member

The main concern was the fogging, I suppose you drop them when stopped or climbing and lift them back on for descending?

My Oakleys and Spys are both pretty good in that respect the Oakleys probably more so because they’re taller and narrower than the Spys and fit better with the Feature. They don’t fog up any more than basic safety glasses would in the same conditions but if it’s cold and still they have to come off.

scottfitz
    Free Member

untitled by scottgolfgti, on Flickr
    Under the right conditions there great!!!!!!

honourablegeorge

Find they fog up if I’d pedalling, doubly so on wet days which are the days when you need them. But handy to have in the bag, not fussed about them looking daft.

Northwind

I tried it but didn’t find much benefit, and I didn’t like the feel of the strap round the helmet much. But every so often there’ll be a day when my eyes won’t stop streaming behind my safety glasses and I wish I was wearing my MXs.

jock-muttley

Tends to be a Gravity Enduro thing..

scottfitz
    Free Member

And mate’s race’s 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

Not bothered about how it looks if it works but saying that I don’t think it looks bad as a combo.

I mean what can look worse than a man in lycra anyway…

aye-aye
    Free Member

A man in lycra with an XC helmet and goggles.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We’ll all be wearing them next year thnen

patriotpro
    Free Member

aye-aye – Member
    A man in lycra with an XC helmet and goggles.

Absolutely! – I JUST WANT TO MAKE THIS ABUNDANTLY CLEAR, I do not wear lycra, well I do but not “on show” 😆

jam-bo

crudcatcher + neoguard.

works well enough that I never even wear glasses even in the shittiest of conditions.

patriotpro
    Free Member

crudcatcher + neoguard.

Better than a CC/Bender Fender combo do you know?

I_Ache
    Free Member

I JUST WANT TO MAKE THIS ABUNDANTLY CLEAR, I do not wear lycra, well I do but not “on show”

Only in the comfort of his own cellar.

ransos
    Free Member

crudcatcher + neoguard.

works well enough that I never even wear glasses even in the shittiest of conditions.

Doesn’t stop mud being thrown off the rear wheel of the rider in front.

billytinkle
    Free Member

I tried some cheap low profile goggles for a while – these to be precise… http://www.i-sunglasses.com/Birdz-Wing-Lightweight-One-Piece-Goggles-Yellow

They do versions in smoke, blue and clear too and I thought they would be ideal for mountain biking. Unfortunately I found a few issues, the biggest being that when I sweated heavily on a climb the sweat would leak into the goggles and they would actually fill up! Not ideal.

Ventilation wasn’t particularly good either, but I still keep my eyes open for something similar that may perform better.

Northwind

Yeah, I tried a similiar 3M pair, found they steamed up a lot, as soon as there was a wee bit of sweat in the air.

eatsdirt
    Free Member

I recently started wearing them. I know I look a total twonk, but frankly don’t care. Tried several types of glasses but they all either steam up or the wind gets round them and makes my eyes water so were not of any use. I get none of this with the goggles, so I’ll take the sniggering over blindness\squinting and crashing ta!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Eatsdirt, i share your take on them. 🙂

I_ache – you are welcome in to my cellar any time xxx

I_Ache
    Free Member

Do I have to bring my own Lycra?

banks
    Free Member

When its cold/snowy/muddy etc they are spot on! Keeps the shit out and I can wear my glasses.

nickc

Don’t decent wrap around glasses do this function? Don’t think I’ve ever thought “what I need are goggles”

jam-bo

Doesn’t stop mud being thrown off the rear wheel of the rider in front.
    POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Don’t ride so close then…

knightrider
    Free Member

since I lost the vision in 1 eye (not bike related) I’ve started wearing goggles all the time, I first got some scott otg now have some low profile Dixon jobs with prescription insert

I also put the strap under my helmet

watsontony
    Free Member

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I also put the strap under my helmet

😯

knightrider
    Free Member

facepalm

nickc

watsontony, goggles make you crap at cornering, and make your tyres fall off?

andeh

My eyes water at anything under 10°C and anything more than a walking pace (I’m a sensitive soul) so I tend to wear them on downhill sections. It probably looks ridiculous but I couldn’t care less. I can concentrate better with goggles on and there’s much smaller chance of getting a tree in my eye.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Goggles and a 'normal' helmet’ is closed to new replies.