Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Gods County
  • Dales_rider
    Free Member

Why would you want to live anywhere else ?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa599p0lvH4[/video]

johnellison
    Free Member

Because we still haven’t forgiven you for the dirty tricks at Towton… 👿

failedengineer

Ahhh. The old myth that the Wars of the Roses was between Lancashire and Yorkshire. I’m a Lancastrian and I’m on the side of the Yorkists, me. Who were from the Midlands, BTW.

johnellison
    Free Member

And most Lancastrians were actually from (what is now) Yorkshire (and what was then Northumberland)…I do know my history, I just like antagonising grumpy Yorkshiremen…

djglover
    Free Member

Yorkshire has potential. In a couple of million years hopefully continental drift will have improved the climate and killed off the grumpy locals who have an inflated sense of their own importance.

Kryton57

I thought this was going to be about Kent *leaves in disgust*

bikebouy
    Free Member

Gods County = Hampshire.

I see no Hampshire in that vid.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

The single most exciting thing to happen in British Cycling for at least 7 months… 😀

Can’t bloody wait – OH is a Yorkie and the in laws live in Knaresbourogh!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

God’s Own Country is Sussex.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It’s colder than the south. Good enough reason not to live there, TBH. 😉

binners

Hampshire.? That’d sure make for some majestic shots from the helicopter…. as the riders brace themselves, psychologically preparing themselves… summoning up those months of gruelling training…. and there it is…. the slight incline on the way into the car park. There’s a particularly tricky speed bump at the top that’s easy to get wrong 😆

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

Nope I believe thats known as “The Garden of England” anyways you dont live there Essex Boy

bikebouy – Member

Gods County = Hampshire.

I see no Hampshire in that vid.

Sorry But I dont think a Video of Hampshire would somehow make the grade 😛

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Dear disillusioned Southerns.

Google Gods Own County

Dales_rider
    Free Member
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Wait a minute there sonny..

We have hills, we have the South Downs, thems hills by any other name them is. I’ll grant you they have a max hill’idge of about 400mtrs above that Sea Level thingy and they don’t go on longer than say 15mins at an ave of say 20mph, but hills they is.

They make your lungs burst a bit and yer legs.

I’m pretty sure I saw God one day down this way, he was riding a Recumbent and pushing a big gear with a grin like a Maxed Gnnnnar to the power 11 pyjama wearing ewok. So in conclusion, God rides out in Hampshire, fact.

thepurist

Hold on.

God is omnipresent, therefore every county is God’s own county. Including Essex and even Yorkshire. FACT.

SaxonRider

Was it God that stripped the trees off the hills up there?

Kryton57

Dales_rider – Member

Kryton57 – Member

Nope I believe thats known as “The Garden of England” anyways you dont live there Essex Boy

I don’t live in Essex either.

mogrim

Why would you want to live anywhere else ?

This is why: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ne/print.html

Cold, wet, and full of northern types.

mos

whats tke knobbly hill at the end with the cairn on top?

failedengineer

johnellison – how were most Lancastrians from Northumberland/Yorkshire then? I thought i knew my history, too.

I reckon the government took away Manchester and Liverpool because they thought we were too powerful, BTW. Lancashire was the engine of the country. Plus, the home of most of the best comedians. Name a funny Yorkshireman? William Haig?

cranberry
    Free Member

Oh dear, there’s a few people on here who are a smidgen bitter about not being born in the paradise on earth that is t’Yorkshire.

It’s all right, we’re not judging you, it’s just that you aren’t as good as us.

shifter
    Free Member

God can keep it 🙂

footflaps

It’s all right, we’re not judging you, it’s just that you aren’t as good as us.

That’s very big of you 😉

cranberry
    Free Member

We’re a kind and generous folk.

thepurist

Actually it all makes sense. God made yorkshire first and put all his effort into it. Then he looked at the rest of the country and thought “how can I make it fair for the people who live anywhere else”. And Lo! God created the yorkshireman.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

generous folk.

Erm….

mt
    Free Member

cranberry – Member
    We’re a kind and generous folk.

I’m not sure that sarcasm is welcome on the is thread.

headfirst
    Free Member

And Lo! God created the yorkshireman.

Indeed he did, fine folk like Brian Robinson:

Brian Robinson (born 3 November 1930[1] Huddersfield, Yorkshire[2]) is an English former road bicycle racer of the 1950s and early 1960s.
    He was the first Briton to finish the Tour de France and the first to win a Tour stage.
    His success as a professional cyclist in mainland Europe paved the way for other Britons such as Tom Simpson and Barry Hoban

EDIT: See also 1:20 in on this clip

tazzymtb

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VVhfvCRbadk[/video]

MrSmith
    Free Member

anyone who thinks their county is ‘gods own’ and superior to any other is obviously trying to make up for other failings like having a city called Hull or a jingoistic self aggrandising population with an overinflated sense of self worth.

johndoh
    Free Member

Hull is actually great. People that haven’t been just assume it is shit because the internet told them that.

grum
    Free Member

I will be moving to God’s Own county in the next few months (from Lancashire 😳 ), will probably have a house about 5 mins walk from the route of the tour, can’t wait!

Yes the south has slightly better weather, but it’s still hardly great is it. Southerners boasting about their weather is a bit like boasting about eating a cow shit sandwich instead of a dog shit sandwich.

binners

Sorry to hear about your exile Grum. What was it you did to deserve that? Been caught in flagrante with the local nobleman’s mistress?

Anyway… can we put our tents up in your garden next summer then grum? We’ll bring black puddings and other delicacies you’ll be craving by way of payment

johndoh
    Free Member

Southerners boasting about their weather

My brother moved from Knaresborough to Cornwall 4 years ago.

Instead of warm summers, wet autumns and snowy winters, he’s had warm summers, wetter autumns and even wetter and windier winters.

He moves back ‘home’ next month.

grum
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your exile Grum. What was it you did to deserve that? Been caught in flagrante with the local nobleman’s mistress?

Some of the locals here found out I had a bike made by On-One – the pitchforks and flaming torches came out pretty quickly as you can imagine.

Anyway… can we put our tents up in your garden next summer then grum? We’ll bring black puddings and other delicacies you’ll be craving by way of payment

If the grounds of my mansion are big enough then yes certainly.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Hull is actually great

Close, but I think it’s actually Grimsby that’s great.

johndoh
    Free Member

But Grimsby is in Lincolnshire isn’t it?

Santorini is great but that isn’t in Yorkshire so it doesn’t count either. 😆

anonymouse
    Free Member

It is across the border, but I raised it because it’s near Hull and it’s official name, as included on the city signs etc, is Great Grimsby. Without apparent irony.

johndoh
    Free Member

Great Grimsby. Without apparent irony.

And they built a motorway too. I assume so people can more easily escape.

I actually found myself in Withernsea last summer.

😯 is all I can say.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Gods County’ is closed to new replies.