Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • God Save The Queen and other anthems.
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

Whilst those of us alive today are clearly not responsible there is nothing wrong with being ashamed/embarrassed/ disliking the shitty aspects of our countries past. They are as many and numerous of the things to be proud of. Probably better the national anthem focuses on the positive.

If i was to start a list of the things the Tories should apologise about I would be here all day 😉
    Like what have the romans ever done for us but less funny

bigrich

Or is apologising for something with absolutely no responsibility for not a problem?

well, in that case, lets look at the current, approved lyrics:

Scatter her enemies
    And make them fall
    Confound their politics
    Frustrate their knavish tricks

well, we are very good at blowing the shite out of far off places to secure our GDP

and, my favourite bit

May she sedition hush
    And like a torrent rush
    Rebellious Scots to crush
    God save the Queen

that’s nice, isn’t it?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

that’s nice, isn’t it?

Not really. That’s why I’d like a new national anthem which mentions Spitfires and mushy peas.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Don’t suppose we are the only country with a significant part of the population who like to focus on the historical negatives rather than the positives but suspect we might top the league table. Glass half full people!

MSP

Glass half full people!

As the nation that invented science and engineering, I think you will find that glass is not half full or half empty, but twice the size required for the amount of liquid it contains.

scotroutes

The nation that invented science and engineering?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

The nation that invented science and engineering?

Aye, he’s talking about Scotland. 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

It isn’t about a single person, it’s about the Monarchy

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It’s not God Save the Royal Family….

MSP

Only if you ignore the actual words and pretend to hear something else.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

As the nation that invented science and engineering

The peoples inhabiting the British Isles at the time when Arabs were discovering science probably weren’t capable of much more than making grunting sounds, and they certainly couldn’t be called a nation.

Granted by 1750 AD they had caught up. No doubt due to the constant flow of foreigners into the country for the previous 2,000 years.

MSP

Oh FFS it was an obviously bombastic line to set up the glass half full/half empty joke.

nealglover
    Free Member

As you claim they are the “current approved” lyrics.

Can you give an example of either of those verses actually being sung in the last half a century or so ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m sure jambalaya sings all verses when he sings the national anthem. I’d be disappointed if he didn’t.

nealglover
    Free Member

Ok. If you like.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/Symbols/NationalAnthem.aspx

epicyclo

ernie_lynch – Member As the nation
    The peoples inhabiting the British Isles at the time when Arabs were discovering science probably weren’t capable of much more than making grunting sounds, and they certainly couldn’t be called a nation.

Pretty much swallowed a load of vintage propaganda there Ernie?

The tribes of England at the time the Romans came in and deconstructed that country were not primitive savages. They destroyed an ancient culture. Suggest you read Terry Jones “Barbarians” for a start, and Caesar’s “Gallic Wars” (between the lines).

As for engineering, I think the mining technology in Cornwall was pretty well up to par for the times, if not slightly ahead. It was one of the attractions to a greedy imperialist coloniser.

Northwind

MSP – Member

Only if you ignore the actual words and pretend to hear something else.

It’s sort of true though- it’s not about the current queen, it’s about “the queen”. In the same way as “the king is dead, long live the king”. GSTQ refers to the position rather than the person occupying it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The tribes of England at the time the Romans came in and deconstructed that country were not primitive savages. They destroyed an ancient culture.

Oh here we go……..what did the Romans ever do for us.

Listen fella, the Romans didn’t just bring bridges, roads, sewers, baths, etc, they also brought culture, theaters, poetry, wine, olives, etc.

After the Romans had gone the Brits had to wait another thousand years before a province of France came over and sorted things out for them, with common law, parliament, and tweaked the language so that it made more sense. And they brought some more desperately needed culture.

Ffs even the royal motto is in French.

During the intervening period things kept going backwards with the arrival of semi-savage tribes from the north which couldn’t contribute much more than rape and pillage.

epicyclo

ernie_lynch – Member
    …During the intervening period things kept going backwards with the arrival of semi-savage tribes from the north which couldn’t contribute much more than rape and pillage.

Look we all have a problem with the residents of Glasgow when they’re on the ran-dan, but it doesn’t invalidate what else I’ve said. 🙂

athgray
    Free Member

I think the truth lies between epic and ernie. The Arab golden age fell during our dark ages. Great scienctific and cultural advances were made in the Middle East while Europe went backwards, although it seems not as far as previous historians would have us believe. It does not help that remains and records from this period in Europe are so scant.

epicyclo

We also tend to forget the civilisations of the far east when we talk about science and engineering.

GrahamS

Pretty sure Billy Connolly sorted this out some time ago:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9nnnM-__JQ[/video]

konabunny
    Free Member

Seems unlikely. He’s been performing for a while but I don’t think he was even alive in the dark ages.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Sorry but whenever I see “God Save The Queen” written, I don’t think of the U.K. National Anthem. That, I call “the national anthem”.

“God Save The Queen” is followed by “the fascist regime” etc

bencooper
    Free Member

Look we all have a problem with the residents of Glasgow when they’re on the ran-dan, but it doesn’t invalidate what else I’ve said.

Come ahead, square go.

(I’ve proved your point here, haven’t I?)

epicyclo

bencooper – Member
    ‘Look we all have a problem with the residents of Glasgow when they’re on the ran-dan, but it doesn’t invalidate what else I’ve said.’
    Come ahead, square go.

(I’ve proved your point here, haven’t I?)

Where else in the world do people rush towards a terrorist bomber to give him a good kicking? 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘God Save The Queen and other anthems.’ is closed to new replies.