Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Goatfell (on foot) Best Route?
  • franksinatra

Staying on Arran this week and going to take Mrs Sinatra up Goatfell if the weather lifts. Any advice on best route? Trying to avoid straightforward tourist route and happy for a bit of ‘interest’ but don’t want to scare or over challenge Mrs S. No scrambling this week I’m afraid!

Happy to plot my own route off OS and route guides but always like a bit of local knowledge…

althepal

Done it from Mid Sannox a coupla times but a decent bit of scrambling up to the ridge. Think there’s a coupla routes up Glen Rosa at the Brodick side but if you’re not wanting anything too rough for the missus you’re as we’ll just heading up the main tourist rout.. It’s still rough in places and will require a bit of work.
    Great summit on a clear day. Must have been about 20 years since I’ve been up there though!

franksinatra

Thanks for that

boxelder

The A’Chir ridge – she’ll love it….

Ace place Arran

Dolcered

Wave over when you get to the top, i can see you from my work!

Have only done the tourist path myself.

peterfile
    Free Member

The A’Chir ridge – she’ll love it….

That’s my neck of the woods, and I’m always staggered when I remember it’s supposed to be a VDiff (I think?). More like a Moderate, and I’ve taken a rope but never used it. Most of the technical sections are avoidable.

That said, I wouldn’t dream of taking anyone who wasn’t very comfortable with exposed scrambling 🙂

I love it, it was like having a mini version of the Cullins in my back garden (and with less people!).

ElShalimo

For a pleasant and quiet approach you could try this route:
    Ascent:
    Sannox – Cioch na h-Oighe (Maiden’s Breast) – Mullach Buidhe – North Goatfell – Goatfell
    There are options for the descent:
    – down the “Tourist path” to Brodick
    – or down via Coire Lan to Corrie
    – or retrace steps to North Goatfell then on to The Saddle (there is some scrambling here) and out via Glen Sannox
    You can get the bus back to your car, or thumb a lift, or run!

A’Chir and Cir Mor are no place for someone who does not like exposure and scrambling. They are blummin fantastic if you do like scrambling.

roady_tony
    Free Member

i remember running up it one year, yeah i was training for something or other, but also when i stopped i got swamped by midges – so i never stopped again!

Its a lovely ascent from anywhere really, Arran really is a nice place esp. out of season – whisky, food, cafe’s, coastlines, walking and roadying….

would be wondrous if they built an 8 Stane there! 🙂

iainc

roady_tony – it has some cracking mtb’ing as well – have a look at the Arran Bike club website. there is a ‘classic black’, onto which you can attach the Cleuchlands Point loop from Brodick, and if keeping a reasonable pace do it between 11 and 1630 to fit the ferries

roady_tony
    Free Member

will check out the club – i’m sure a few years ago i took a look but couldnt find anything – sounds like an Arran trip in the planning…(outside of midge season!!!!!!!!!)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Goatfell (on foot) Best Route?’ is closed to new replies.