Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • "Go Pros"…. what is the best budget alternative?
  • fathomer

If you’re interested in the cheap GoPro, here’s a video of mine, excuse the mincing etc.

[video]http://vimeo.com/114179662[/video]

There’s a couple more on my Vimeo profile though the later couple also have a bit of iPhone 5s footage.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Earlier today I bought camera from Sainsbury’s.It’s called a Kitvision splash,looks like a GO-PRO,£70 reduced to £40.According to the box it films at 1080p @ 25FPS or 720p @30FPS. For £40 I thought I’d take a punt.

hammerite
    Free Member

For the price I’d be tempted by the Virb too.

We’ve had a Muvi for the last couple of years. The quality is really good, even though most of what we film is guff and we rarely edit anything or mess with the settings! The quality once put on to Youtube is pretty poor though.

One difficulty we have though is using the chest mount on the bike… it’s difficult to put the camera at such an angle so that it isn’t filming the front wheel!

superleggero
    Free Member

I can recommend the Mobius actioncam. Solid performer with good quality footage, easily configurable , and plenty of aftermarket accessories: http://www.minidvcameras.co.uk/viewitem.php?productid=17 . It’s now in version 3 format.

dogmatix

I have read and seen that SJ4000 doesnt have good light to dark transition (kind of essential for mountain biking).

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/11/16/gopro-hero-budget-camera-vs-the-sj4000-review.html

So I went for a second hand gopro 2. The problem with the entry gopro is that if the casing snaps your buggered. I think the a new entry gopro is not any better than a gopro 2 (in fact i think it is lower spec). I got a gopro 2 in very good condition with lots of mounts and a sea casing and lcd back for 100 on gumtreee. I found gumtree cheaper for gopros than ebay.

Get one you wont regret it… great fun… even though i have the lcd back i never use it, its of no real use for mountain biking.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Let us know which one you went for anyway!

iain1775
    Free Member

I have read and seen that SJ4000 doesnt have good light to dark transition (kind of essential for mountain biking).

I read that too but mine seems to have coped ok on a test run in the car (by no means a conclusive test)
    Elsewhere in the review he also adjusts the settings and improves it’s dark performance (shows footage inside the Printworks in Manchester), plus the more recent firmware updates have apparently addressed it as well, although I have no idea how or if it’s improved
    Might get an idea on Saturday when I hopefully take it for it’s first play

Goldigger
    Free Member

Anyone bought a virb and used it since they popped up in this thread?

zero-cool
    Free Member

You can buy a GoPro for £100. It’s the basic one, but still a pretty great bit of kit.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘"Go Pros"…. what is the best budget alternative?’ is closed to new replies.