Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Go Pro type thingy for Holiday
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

Had an idea that a Go pro would be good to take on holiday
    Have absolutely no idea which one to get. Needs to be waterproof though

Don’t want to spend loads.
    Which one I need….?
    Help

akira

Not cheap but loving my session 5 for filming, easy to chuck in a pocket and you can download stuff onto phone. Plus waterproof up to 10m so good for pools.

nickjb
    Free Member

We’ve got an SJ4000 which was the go to GoPro copy a couple of years back. The buttons are a bit stiff but apart from that its great. Video quality is excellent and its totally waterproof. I suspect there are newer and better models now but this is a great no frills unit for very little money

Markie
    Free Member

We have a session 4 which is fantastic – the sessions are their simplest cameras, just one button to deal with! Photos can be taken at intervals from every half second to every ten minutes (or something like that!), nice videos too.

That said, now I’d get a session 5. The key benefit I reckon is the image stabilisation it offers, but it adds other stuff besides. It is more expensive though.

The most used mount for us is the floating handle, followed by the pole/handlebar mount.

Ace things!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have a Hero 4 Session.

Honestly though, see if you can borrow one. I bought one, and it’s been a fairly painful experience. I take it with me and shoot footage which I know is no good. I then store it on my hard-drive, taking up space while I try to summon the time and fortitude to craft it into a sick edit. The results are fundamentally mediocre and the entire business has a small but clearly negative impact on my quality of life. If I didn’t live in Hong Kong I’d just offer to send you mine. 🙂

This took ages and made me quite unhappy. It is rubbish:

[video]https://youtu.be/EZwHV-jVtIE[/video]

🙂

Markie
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that big dummy.

We use ours in a different way – mostly have it set to take a photo every half second and then sift through them on the app at the end of the day, keeping between 4 and 50 depending on how ‘epic’ (8 year olds word of choice) the day has been. I’d video something if it wasn’t the kind of thing that needed editing, a pump track run or whatever.

markshires
    Free Member

We’ve just got back from our holiday, and used the GoPro session 4 camera. It is really small and great for letting the kids mess about with, in the pool and on the beach. It’s also waterproof without having a case too. Most of the holiday it was just attached to the floating mount. I used to use one of the cheaper cameras, and the quality was of footage was fine, but I find the GoPro apps to be really good to use for editing the footage, particularly the Quik app. I find just recording shorter clips makes the editing quicker, than ones that are minutes long.

If you are interested, here’s the video, but there’s no bikes included!
    [video]https://youtu.be/JxuYhnEE_co[/video]

timidwheeler

Markie, that’s what I do with mine, take photo every half second. Tend to get half a dozen good ones every ride. I’m happy to pay for quality though and have a 5 Black. It and the session 5 have voice control which is surprisingly useful when it’s stuck on your head/behind your seat/bungied to your back wheel.

timidwheeler

Double post

breadcrumb

I’m happy with my £50 Aldi GoPro copy, not sure when they’ll be stocking then again though.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Found a Go Pro Hero Session for £120
    That’ll do us I think.
    Looking forward to it.
    Now what about a bike mount…

markshires
    Free Member

I’ve always found it better to mount it to your person (Chest or Helmet mounts). I’ve never really had good results with mounting it on my bike.

duncancallum

I’m considering an olfi bit I’m not sure if I want the hassle of editing stuff

Might just take pictures on my phone

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Go Pro type thingy for Holiday’ is closed to new replies.