Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Go Pro cameras…
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Anyone use one? They look really good, but is this just the marketing hype?

I fancy taking more video etc and like the idea of them with the variety of strap on options..

Is it worth going for the full HD one of the cheaper model?

Phototim
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHjKWuOMX1Y[/video]

Need I say more?!

Not got one myself but will definitely be going for the full HD jobby.

Euro
    Free Member

I’ve a HD one and it’s a great toy. The extra price over the standard version is worth it as the quality is so good. The 1080 widescreen footage is superb, the 720 is also very good.

Cons
    • File sizes are fairly big on the higher settings. Not so good if your computer is old and weak.

• Native mg4 files are not supported by some video editing software and converting them can be slow (again could just be my pooter)

• Some mounts can rattle a bit, which doesn’t really affect the picture, but is amplified on the sound (easily fixed with a well placed bit of tape).

• Screws that hold the outer lense are made of cheese. I landed head/camera first onto a big rock and scratched the lens. Got some replacements lenses but the wrung the screws trying to get them out. Rest of the camera was fine though. It’s a surprisingly tough wee thing.

• Lack of a view finder can make it tricky to get a decent view. A bit of trial and error is needed.

• And lastly it’s not great in poor lighting

Hope that doesn’t put you off though. I had mine for almost a year and would happily buy another if it broke.

Here’s a 720 widescreen video I made a few months back. It’s mainly headcam stuff but there’s a few bits in the middle using it as a normal camera.

[video]http://vimeo.com/14415385[/video]

Ewan
    Free Member

Phototim – 2.20 of that video. Sweet.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

I’d also recommend the HD option.

I have the standard Widescreen (Non HD) and this is the footage I get when uploaded to youtube:

VIDEO HERE

devon_roadie
    Free Member
    MartynS

and like the idea of them with the variety of strap on options..

snigger….

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I’ve got an HD one too. Fantastic bit of kit.

Make sure you get the HD version.

GoPro HD Helmet Hero shot movie from Les Arcs

Retrodirect
    Free Member

oy euro, what tune is that?

brant
    Free Member

I’ve never used one, but I was editing some vids shot on an HD one the other day.

Amazing quality and stabilisation.

Northwind

It’s definately worth going for the HD… the standard def one is OK, it still has the best mounts in the business and good image stability etc, but it’s not brilliant quality. Still, the AAA batteries give you effectively unlimited runtime and the files are smaller and easy to work with.

But the HD’s another story. Picture quality’s not just about up-close detail and losing the pixelation, it’s also about detail at a distance- with the standard def camera, you need to be really close to the rider in front to have any idea of what they’re doing, for instance.

The downsides are, well, cost. And the format causes some software problems- old Windows Movie Maker can’t handle it, standard Sony Vegas can’t preview it effectively…

But still, if you want a bike camera it’s the one to get, no doubt about it.

If you want a standard def one I need to get mine sold, still never got round to trying yet 😳

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Video quality is awesome just from viewing those clips.

Brant – loving that one of the scalp.

Looks like its going to be on my Xmas list. 🙂

Euro
    Free Member

Oi Retro! It’s Listen by Urban Species.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Heres a bit of Helvellyn goprohd from last week,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JJuAJKwWAY

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Go Pro cameras…’ is closed to new replies.