Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Go-pro best place to mount
  • lee170
    Free Member

I’ve just got a go-pro hero4 session, I have the go-pro chest mount but I’ve found that to be a little to low when out biking, can’t really see the trail ahead when watching vids back. Maybe a helmet mount would work better but there’s the one that sits on top or to the side, maybe a handlebar mount?

So what’s the best mount to get a good view of the trail ahead/rider in front

nwmlarge
    Free Member

mount the go pro higher

Under the visor on a full face is a good one.

Like this

this is a pic with my old Faux pro

The naked frame works best for this type mount. a lens cover stops any mud issues, unless it’s pouring down.

timmys

Chest but mount it upside down so you can angle it correctly. ie. pointing straight ahead not down. In other words in needs to point up if you are standing up straight rather than being parallel to your chest.

whitestone
    Free Member

With the chest mount you need to put the Go-Pro in “upside down” so that you can adjust the camera better. It’s also worth getting the app for your phone so you can get a live view of what’s being recorded in any particular angle – much easier than getting back home to find all the shots are looking up your nose!

Once you’ve set it up it’s easy to replicate again, in my case two fingers side by side sit between the back of the camera and my chest.

lee170
    Free Member

Ah ok I’ll try it that way, I have the new hero4 session. I take it this will work mounted how you suggest?

turbo1397
    Free Member

As has been said above- chest mount and mount it upside down..

lee170
    Free Member

Cool, thanks for the help, going out tomo to try

chrisdw
    Free Member

the session will fit in the cage anyway up wont it? shouldn’t even need to flip the video after.

twistedpencil

Session will autorotate the picture, mine goes in upside down, but as others say angle upwards and use the app to check position. The chesty mount gives a good shot when set up right.

prawny

The session auto corrects the flip anyway doesn’t it? But yeah, chest mount flipped up is the best, helmet mounts need to be quite far back to get some helmet in the shot otherwise you just get a weird disembodied ghost view of a trail.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

More than one place, on the floor, under jumps in corners on trees. Just got a saddle mount. The more varied the more interesting the footage

rondo101
    Free Member

Gimbal mount on your chest. No one wants to watch shakey videos any more!

nwmlarge
    Free Member

for the chest mount use a J mount rather than the standard, you get more range.

Curly bit at the top.

Trim a zip tie and stuff it in the back of the clip on the j mount to stop the clicking on the footage.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    More than one place, on the floor, under jumps in corners on trees. Just got a saddle mount. The more varied the more interesting the footage

as mike says but yeah chest mount mainly for me. Make sure you angle it up at 45 degrees to the base plate to get a good pic. Seems far too high when you look at it but as soon as you get in position on your bike it will be perfect.

Oh and for road bikes a selfie stick is also useful for alternative views as per my vid below

Let Me Go

PrinceJohn

If you’re filming dont keep it in one place, makes pretty boring videos, change the angles as often as possible

whitestone
    Free Member

If you are filming then it’s worth doing the ride slowly (assuming you don’t know it already) so you can check out possible filming spots. Try and get at least three different angles of all the interesting bits, drops, berms, splashes, etc. then you can edit them together. Filming also takes time, unless you’ve got multiple cameras then you need to session each shot. Generally don’t chase the action, let it move in and out of shot.

There’s a pack of different Gopro mounts available on Amazon (and other sites presumably) for less than just the Gopro Chesty mount. The only mount it doesn’t have that I use is a tube clamp but there’s a chest mount, selfie stick, helmet, head and wrist mounts.

When editing be really ruthless, better a decent video that’s 3 minutes long than a poor one at fifteen minutes. If you use music as background then change shots on the beat or something similarly repetitive. Keep each shot short, three to five seconds unless it’s a deliberate scenic type shot. It can be worth having a “story” or theme to the video rather than just: “me and my mates riding at xxx”

As with any “rules” there are always exceptions but you need to minimise where and when you break them. Find videos that you like or are well regarded and watch them in a technical light working out how they’ve put things together.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Go-pro best place to mount’ is closed to new replies.