Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Go Orange Day
  • fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

As a crew member of an independent lifeboat I would like to plug something close to my heart and something that is lifesaving. This year it is FEB 10TH and 11TH.

I know not many of you are coastal but you still may have significant rivers around you also!

For one day only the Independent Lifeboat Crews of the United Kingdom will be joining forces to raise awareness for the lifeboat stations that operate outside the auspices of the RNLI.

Throughout the UK there are around 60 lifeboat units that are not run by the RNLI and every year their volunteer crews respond to pager callouts in an identical way to the RNLI crews. Training is to the same high standard and all rescue craft must adhere to the same strict code as the RNLI.

There is only one major difference. Unlike the RNLI the independent units do not have a large organisation backing them. The people seen out on the boats and in the watch room windows are the whole team. Not only do they respond to emergencies at sea and on the shores nearby, they are also responsible for their own fundraising, training and maintenance of equipment. If something breaks it is up to those present to work out how to fix it.

The Independent Units within the UK have existed for many years and need support to continue to operate to the same high standards for which they have become known. Often mistaken for the RNLI, the work of these units can go unnoticed and the public will donate to the RNLI thinking the money is going towards their local Independent Unit.

The Independent Units hope is that by all celebrating on the same day, they can highlight the number and contribution of non-RNLI units around the country. Everybody who has an Independent lifeboat unit near them is urged to join in with the day by wearing something orange or holding an ‘orange’ fundraising event for their local lifeboat unit.

If you wish to donate but dont have a local lifeboat I would be more than happy to donate to the station I am involved withs just giving page.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

Really? no body here gives a care to this?

philconsequence
    Free Member

humans are not designed to be in the sea, thats where sharks live. i wouldn’t want a shark coming in my house then calling shark rescue cos it got stuck somewhere its not designed to be, so why should humans assume its ok to go play in the sharks house?!

for that reason i’m out.

(i have a lot of respect for lifeboat crews, but i’m all tied up in other charities. might be worth getting this kinda thing posted up on surfing forums, sailing forums etc?)

wwaswas

Out of interest why do the independent units not ‘affiliate’ with the RNLI and thus benefit from their infrastructure, fund raising etc?

binners

Well… rather than ask that, with a faintly accusatory tone, you may want to have a read through what you’ve typed.

Then ask yourself if, as well as describing a worthy course, which I’m sure all would support, you might want to add:

a) Locations of said events
    b) Maybe a website?
    c) Ways that you can donate (weblink maybe)

You may get a bit more of a positive response. Just a thought…..

philconsequence
    Free Member

or instead of joining forces for a one time fundraising event, join forces and take on the RNLI in a epic battle for control over the seas?

binners

RNLI, you say?

SPLITTERS!

molgrips
    Free Member

I read this and felt like giving, but I’ve got no link or any idea how. I am really not capable of organising a fund raising event myself, but I’m happy to give.

Plus I ride an Orange.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Justgiving link? Facebook link?

RustyMac

There is more info here

http://www.i-lifeboat.org.uk/news/in-the-news/60-go-orange-day-for-independent-lifeboat-crews

But I still don’t know how to donate!

I work for a company that is world renowned in shipping, that I know do a lot for the RNLI but don’t feel comfortable in taking that little info onwards to see if something could be done at a corporate level for the independent crews.

Creg

I’m volunteer crew for a local independent rescue boat. This is our 30th year of operation.

Donations can be made on our website

Runswick Bay Rescue Boat

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

Big sorry i didn’t want to flood the post withl inks to start off with, i wanted to feel the area and see what the response was:

Links as follows: Hust giving

Text to – 70070
    Place this only into the message box – SSIL21 £10
    Send

You will be able to donate from £1 to £10, just change the amount in the message box to reflect you donation, this can be £2, £3, etc up to £10.

You donation will go 100% to saving lives at sea and not have admin charges applies like some other charities do.

Our ebay auctions:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280821623875?ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Because we dont work with the RNLI we follow a different bunch of cll out procedures. We can launch after 1 phone call. The RNLI require more than one call to be made.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Go Orange Day’ is closed to new replies.