Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Go on…which digital radio?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Has anyone got a digital radio that’s easy to use, simple presets etc? Looking for one for the kitchen.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Go on…

😆

IHN

We got one of these:

https://www.goodmans.co.uk/product-heritage.html

Looks nicely retro, sounds decent, easy to use, Bluetooth to connect phone.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Internet radio. 1000s more channels, not limited by DAB reception, play stuff from anywhere in the world, and most have other options like streaming from other devices.

Would have recommended Squeezebox Radio but Logitech have pulled the plug on those. Discussion on net radios a few weeks back – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-internet-radio

5thElefant
    Free Member

Is actual radio still a thing? Amazon echo is the best ‘radio’ for the kitchen.

Rich_s

Roberts Play10 here. Tiny but surprisingly good sound. Piece of piss to turn on and tune in. Holds signal well. Much better than Aldi sourced pos I had before.

RustySpanner

We got one of these for the kitchen:

It’s fine, but I don’t think the new generation of Pure stuff is near the build and sound quality of the older stuff.
    Had an Evoke 2S for ages, it’s bombproof and sounds fantastic.
    This just doesn’t feel like it’s made by the same people.

These look good:

Roberts eco4bt.
    Bluetooth like the Pure, so you can use internet radio via your phone.

Not had a duff Roberts or Sony.

Cletus

+1 Amazon Echo – certainly ticks the “Ease of use” box

Caher

Internet radio as above – have both but DAB does not seem to be the future. Also wherever you have the wireless access it can be used – unlike DAB

RustySpanner

Some weirdos just like radios.
    🙂

Have four scattered around the house, FM and DAB, that get used daily and an ancient Sony ghetto blaster in the garage.

Just nice, simple things that work and are pleasant to have around.

mugsys_m8

I’ve got a pure Evoke 1 xt Prestige sitting un-used and like new in a cupboard I’ve been meaning to do something about. It’s here in France though so postage will be a bit. Reason I’m getting rid of it is DAB doesn’t really exist here. Lovely bit of kit. Complete with power adaptor and maybe I can find the manual.

I’d be happy to let it go for £30 plus postage?
    danjDOTheywoodATgmailDOTcom

johnnystorm

Amazon Echo is brill, especially when cooking etc so you don’t have to touch it or want news/weather/etc on demand.

I’ve just taken delivery of an Echo dot as I didn’t realise to begin with they actually had decent enough speakers in them. £50 is an absolute bargain.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Go to John Lewis/Currys/etc where they have a display and have a play with a few.

Have 4 DAB radios around the house. We only really listen to R4 and 6Music so internet radio doens’t offer any advantages. If you have more than one DAB radio on they at least have a chance of playing close enough in sync that it doesn’t drive you made. Tune much quicker (no wait for buffering).

If you do listen to more than one station (most people actually don’t) then just look for one with a few preset buttons.

If money is no object the Ruark radios are lovely.

Pigface
    Free Member

Got a 10 yr old Sony, still going strong (touch wood) has a great sound but setting it up is a pain.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

ah yes, worth remembering that DAB radios are based on one of a very small number of chipsets (https://www.worlddab.org/products/chip-manufacturers). There used to be only one or two. That means a surprising number have the same interface.

5thElefant
    Free Member

no wait for buffering

Buffering music? I didn’t know anyone still had dial-up 😯

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Pure seem to do well at pulling in a signal.

My main problem with most dab radios is that theyre fairly light with a big antenna poking out the top, and this means that they can wobble about when you’re trying to change the station. Worth trying out a few beforehand.

Lidl sometimes sell a sturdy looking ‘builders’ style dab radio. No idea what it’s like in practice but it also has an ‘aux in’ socket should you wish to play your smartphone through it. Reasonably priced too,

aP
    Free Member

I have a Ruark as a bedside radio and it’s got a nice solid feel and sound, the display is clear and tuning is easy. Herself has a Roberts dual speaker on her side. Not much in it between them except for size.
    In the kitchen we have a portable Roberts plastic thing which is good when tuned in but the interface and process of doing anything with it is not great.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Using internet radio on the phone hasn’t even occurred to me! I’ve got Spotify so I’ll seek out some good Bluetooth speakers I reckon. Ta

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Go on…which digital radio?’ is closed to new replies.