• This topic has 40 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Go-Faster petrol Q
  • slowoldgit
    Free Member

Would my boring, ordinary car perform better or be more economical on the modern equivalent of Five-Star? Just curious, with a >500-mile journey on Mway and A9 coming up.

Drac

No, it’s a con it has no effect on your systematic.

P20

You should be able to see old 5th gear tests on YouTube. For normal engines, no. For modern performance engines, you might gain a couple of hp.

prettygreenparrot

No. Just think it out.

Caher

Nope Asda Petrol is fine…maybe (not a petrol head – just what i heard).

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Well I understand how engines and timing used to work. It seemed worth asking if modern electronics could adjust to get more out of it.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, it won’t.

Some engines are designed to run on higher octane (higher compression ratio), then the electronics adjusts the timing to make it work on lower octane, but with reduced power. If your engine is designed to work on lower octane in the first place, there’s nothing the computer can do to get more power out of higher octane.

Octane rating indicates the resistance to spontaneous combustion. Higher compression ratio means more power, and higher octane fuel enables this – rather than the fuel itself giving the extra power.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You have to have a modern engine where the ignition system can take advantage of the additional octanes. But it is real and measurable if you have a modern enough engine, but not necessarily noticeable.

I used to use it with my old 944 turbo, not because it generated more power or better economy (it didn’t do either), but it had better knock resistance so was ultimately safer for a 20-odd year old turbocharged engine. But obviously it’s like most things where it comes to engines – they’re only as good as the weakest link, so don’t expect higher octane fuel to fix problems due to poor maintenance or an engine in poor condition.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Thanks all.

binners
    sweaman2
    Free Member

Being in Canada I have a choice of really low Octane fuels 😀

So what I can tell you is that get noticeably better fuel economy (1l+/100km) out of 93 Octane when compared to 87 in a 2007 Mitsubishi.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Thanks for that, binners. I shan’t try drinking it.

philjunior
    Free Member

I do wonder if the cleaning stuff may help, however it’s more expensive than just chucking red-X through every now and again, and the MPG benefit people have told me of is less than the cost differential.

molgrips
    Free Member

You have to have a modern high performance engine

Or maybe turbo charged.. a bog standard engine won’t make a difference.

bearnecessities

I once filled up a hire 1.6 Astra with super unleaded – the engine exploded on the outside lane of the M1.

I’m not sure whether that was related.

Thinking about, my own Astra (mkII GTE 8v for nostalgia) also exploded in a fire ball a few years later at the bottom of Haldon Hill.

Maybe Astras are just prone to blowing up?

I’m pretty sure I’ve provided a valuable contribution to this thread.

Cougar

I once filled up a hire 1.6 Astra with super unleaded – the engine exploded on the outside lane of the M1.

1.6L diesels will do that.

(-:

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

drive at below 55-60 mph.

Speshpaul

The ecu will allow your car run on a huge range of fuel from utter shite to avgas. It will run not necessarily very well but run.
    If you have it remapped to only run on the high octane super fuels you will gain some more power.
    How much depends on the car, as ever turbos have a lot more to give. A normal aspirated small engines – you’ll engine to send quite a bit to see a marginal gain.

Northwind

How common is it for an engine to be able to adapt to it, these days? It used to be pretty scarce, rapid turbo stuff and the like but cars are pretty damn clever now… I suppose all you really need is a knock sensor and a bit of timing control.

I accidentally overtuned my motorbike so it could only run safely on super, that was annoying.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Modern cars have a closed loop control between the knock sensor and ignition, so the engine is always pushing the ignition to the limit, pulling it back as the knock sensor detects the onset of knock. So you increase the octane of your fuel you can push your ignition more, and that can translate in more power if you’re pushing the engine, or better economy if you’re just pootling along. Its a fairly basic feature of modern engines these days and would have thought standard feature for any engine manufactured in the last 10 years.

anagallis_arvensis

Should I use the expensive stuff on my 1978 motorbike?

jimjam
    Free Member

Is it turbo charged?

anagallis_arvensis

Nope. Honda gl1000

P-Jay
    Free Member

If you’ve got an Japanesse import (as is imported from Japan after purchase not a UK/EU spec Jap car) it’ll likely run a bit smoother and make a bit more power on 99ron fuel as that more the standard in Japan I’m told. It’s supposedly the reason why JDM cars are power rated a bit higher than their export versions, it’s nothing to do with them keeping the ‘best’ engines for themselves.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Nope. Honda gl1000

Poor bugger, it’ll probably be pining for 5 star with a lovely bit of lead on top…

jimjam
    Free Member

P-Jay
    If you’ve got an Japanesse import (as is imported from Japan after purchase not a UK/EU spec Jap car) it’ll likely run a bit smoother and make a bit more power on 99ron fuel as that more the standard in Japan I’m told. It’s supposedly the reason why JDM cars are power rated a bit higher than their export versions, it’s nothing to do with them keeping the ‘best’ engines for themselves.

If it’s an older turbo charged car it’ll either be mapped for one or tother.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

It’s odd.

My old petrol bimmer always returned less MPG with posh petrol.

My diesel bimmer does the same with posh diesel. Why?

jimjam
    Free Member

Because they can advance or reduce the engine timing on the fly depedning on the fuel. At least the petrol ones can or so I’m told, so I presume the dirty tractors can do the same.

molgrips
    Free Member

My diesel bimmer does the same with posh diesel. Why?

Completely different thing for diesels. Posh diesel has high cetane rating, which indicates how easily it burns under compression, the opposite of octane rating for petrol.

So higher cetane = smoother running, better starting and better combustion in any diesel engine.

mark90
    Free Member

Over the last 10k+ miles or so in my van I have tried to stick to using 4 types of diesel. Regular Shell or Esso, Shell V-Power Nitro+ or Esso Supreme. I really can’t notice any performance difference between them, but with 170bhp+ on tap I’m rarely pushing the limits of the available power. What I have found though is that the regular diesel and the Shell V-Power all seem to give similar MPG (27.5 to 30.5), but the Esso Supreme is giving better MPG (30.0 to 32.0). Each MPG measurement is taken over at least half a tank before being brimmed again, more usually over 3/4+ of a tank before filling. Driving is a mix of long runs, motorway, local pootling, and over the course of the 10k+ miles probably averages out.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

As above, if your modern car has a fancy ecu that will fuel-learn and adjust the timing on the fly, you may get a few more mpg or a few more horsepower, depending on how you drive it.

Higher octane stuff can help keep your injectors nice and clean too. I usually do a tank full every few thousand miles for this purpose.

I also use it in the classic car: some of the higher octane offerings have no biofuel in them. This reduces moisture absorption into the fuel, and reduces mould growth in tanks, filters and lines in cars left sitting for long periods. I’ve seen some really horrific mould growth on fuel senders in classics run on normal pump fuel containing 5-10% biofuel.

IHN

So it’s worth it in diesels? Specifically, 2004 VW 1.9tdi?

alibongo001

I remember an Evo test they did a while ago on different cars.

If I remember rightly it only made a difference on turbo cars (they could sense the fuel and adapt)

Not sure if they did any diesels, but perhaps the presence of a turbo on nearly all diesels means it is worth a go?

solamanda
    Free Member

I’ve recently started the habit of running a tank of Shell Premium Diesel every few thousands miles as I think it’s a good idea for the cleaning benefits and probably more effective and better engineered than pouring an additive into the tank. Hopefully that’ll keep things like injectors and the DPF running cleaner for longer.

I have noticed a performance difference when running higher octane fuel in motorbikes on track days but that’s in an environment where a few more bhp on a long straight at over 150mph will be noticeable and I think it also protects the engine better for that kind of use. I’ve never noticed a difference on the public road.

sobriety
    Free Member

I feed my Motorbikes on the posh stuff, but they’re old two stroke sports bikes, so anything that will reduce the chance of detonation is worth the money! As well as having less ethanol to bugger up tanks/fuel lines.

molgrips
    Free Member

So it’s worth it in diesels?

It’s worth trying it out – it’s not limited to performance engines with diesel. In my experience the cars run better and give some increased economy, but not enough to justify the cost on economy alone.

Total diesel also seems to be better. And Shell basic diesel smells like it has cetane improver in it.

kayla1
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure most Japanese bikes were designed to run on boggo unleaded from the mid-late 70s.

If your car or bike can take advantage of the higher octane fuel whether it’s through fancy-dan electrickery, or accidentally having made the compression ratio too high or the timing too advanced to be able to use the cheap stuff without it blowing up then there’ll be a performance advantage. If not, there won’t, and it’ll be slower because the higher octane fuel doesn’t burn as quickly, therefore the expansion of the gases happens at the wrong time in the piston stroke (or rotor for all you Wankels!) to get the most out of it.

So probably no, but possibly yes 😀

Super unleaded and Avgas smell a bit nicer too.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’ll probably say in the manual.

My FiL’s new Volvo XC70 said it wanted 91 but would work with 87 (US numbers).

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’m probably not the best person to ask, but – fire away…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Go-Faster petrol Q’ is closed to new replies.