Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Go directly to jail ?
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm surprised they can still be sold if there's no legal way to get them home, surely it's incitement to commit a crime ?

Burls72
    Free Member

Doesn't matter on the size of the blade, as you can always get done for having a 'sharply pointed object' under a different bit of legislation.

I was talking to a solicitor about this and he said you can theoretically be prosectuted for carrying a ball point pen under this legislation. Another case of good idea but executed with little or no common sense.

konabunny
    Free Member

I remember observing in court a man charged with burglary (a local smack head who could hardly keep his eyes open in court)! He was found in possession of a screwdriver (the offensive weapon).

Sounds like he was probably charged with "Going equipped for stealing" (s25 of Theft Act 1968) rather than carrying an offensive weapon.
    http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=All+Legislation&searchEnacted=0&extentMatchOnly=0&confersPower=0&blanketAmendment=0&sortAlpha=0&PageNumber=0&NavFrom=0&parentActiveTextDocId=0&activetextdocid=1204274&versionNumber=3

coffeeking
    Free Member

Either way, getting caught with a lock knife in a public place may mean you will have to explain yourself in court and knowing how much a lottery courts can be, is it worth the risk?

That's just paranoia though, in my humble, the number of people who must get legitimately "caught out" by this a year must be about what, 5 or 10. In 66 million. I'll take my chances.

epicyclo

The point is that there should not be laws that criminalise people who have no criminal intention.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

the point is it's Gerber and is therefore blunt anyway

take it into a decent knife sharpener and get a proper edge put on it Simon, i have had a couple of those (and still use one almost daily) but the straight blade is pretty rubbish, the sawtooth blade would however cut the very fabric of time and space given half a chance

Talkemada
    Free Member

The point is that there should not be laws that criminalise people who have no criminal intention.

Trouble is, how do you determine who has 'criminal intent' or not?

It's all very well assuming that some crackhead with previous has criminal intent, and that a nice, gentle, respectable 57 year old internet botherer from Lancaster hasn't, but in the eyes of the Law, both are equally capable. Barnes could in fact be a latent psycho murderer.

Just say, for example, he was out somewhere, happily photographing bottoms, and some disgruntled STWer attacked him, or provoked Simon into stabbing them repeatedly in the eye and neck, killing them to death, by death.

Likewise, as crackhead with previous could quite legitimately be carrying a knife at 3.30 am, to take to his mum's house to peel some potatoes. The unusualness of the hour is irrelevant. Indeed, any previous convictions are equally irrelevant; each case must be tried on it's own merits. Were the crackhead able to provide a suitable defence, they would surlely be found not guilty of any crime. While Barnes goes daaahyn for 20. And rightly so.

The Law is there to protect people from being the victims of crime, and to bring justice to those what commit crime.

You can't have 'one law for crackheads and another for simonfbarnes'. That's not on.

Burls72
    Free Member

That's just paranoia though, in my humble, the number of people who must get legitimately "caught out" by this a year must be about what, 5 or 10. In 66 million. I'll take my chances.

Sold a new knife to a guy in his 60's who got stopped at an airport by the police (before all the new security measures) who had a victorinox in his backpacking rucksack with backpacking gear and they prosecuted. I know it's in an airport but he is going away camping and in his 60's what harm is he ever going to do? A few policeman on here if so be interesting to hear their opinion?

Talkemada
    Free Member

A few policeman on here if so be interesting to hear their opinion?

Irrelevant what police persons think. Their job is to arrest according to what the Law says, not judge a particular case. They can have their personal opinions, of course, but it's up to the CPS to decide to prosecute, and the courts to do the judging and sentencing bit.

Of course, current knife laws often seem stupid and pointless, but in such a litigation-happy society, everyone's got to cover their backs. The recent tightening up of Law regarding knife possession was a shortsighted knee-jerk reaction to media hysteria over stabbings. The draconian measures introduced have done bugger all to reduce nasty knife crime. Waste of money even introducing them.

It's a bit like Cannabis; someone with a bit of personal puff is hardly a master criminal, but the fact that Cannabis is a controlled substance criminalises possession. The Law is the Law. You can't pick and choose how or to whom to apply it; it has to be impartial. If the old boy cannot offer a suitable defence, then he goes daaahyn. Simples.

It's not nice, but that's the way it goes, at least until the Law is reviewed and changed.

ski
    Free Member

5 or 10. In 66 million

Sorry you saying 66 million people carry lock knives!

Its the law, stupid as it seems to make a safty feature illegal, its still againt the law to carry a lock knife in public with out a good reason.

Burls72
    Free Member

Irrelevant what police persons think. Their job is to arrest according to what the Law says, not judge a particular case. They can have their personal opinions, of course, but it's up to the CPS to decide to prosecute, and the courts to do the judging and sentencing bit.

You are 100% correct in what you say but generally speaking if a policeman arrests you for a minor crime you will either get a caution or go to magistrates court and get prosecuted. It's all about targets and if they don't prosecute after an arrest it affects those targets.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My mother has twice been caught trying to get on planes with a 4" locknife in her handbag! Very lucky not to be prosecuted – she is a biologist and carries a knife in case she finds interesting things to cut a bit off.

Nowadays she only is allowed a swiss army knife by the rest of the family and is reminded not to leave it in her handbag.

samuri
    Free Member

I've got two cars.

I've also got empirical evidence that cars are more dangerous than knives.

I've got some alcohol downstairs. That's more dangerous than knives too.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Talkemada you really have a massive downer on authority figures don't you!? Police officers are encouraged to use discretion when dealing with people. Not all of them do it as well as they should I agree, but that's life unfortunately.

The law around points & blades or offensive weapons is getting a little mixed up here and does sound confusing. But it really isn't that bad. You can't really get a proper understanding of the law by reading it without case law as it all depends on the courts interpretation of the legislation.

The only bit you really need to worry about is the without good reason. If you have a multi-tool with you when you are riding, in your car, in the garden or whatever then you have a good reason to have it. If you are going to the pub and getting pissed you might struggle to explain it.

Nonsense
    Free Member

And Talkemada which new bit of knee jerk legislation are you talking about? The Criminal Justice Act is over 22 years old?

Nonsense
    Free Member

Burls72 you can only get a caution if it meets fairly strict criteria such as sufficient evidence, admitting the offence in question in interview, having no relevant previous convictions and if it's authorised by a senior officer. Most minor offences still require CPS charging authority to go to any court and this only happens if there is sufficient evidence to give a realistic prospect of conviction.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Sorry you saying 66 million people carry lock knives!

haha spotted the purposeful mistake eh… ok you got me. 🙂

No, but looking at the probability of being stopped and searched, then looking at the probability of picking a pain in the arse policeman AND not having a quick and obvious defence, I'd say the odds were pretty close to that anyway.

Karinofnine

Eek! I regularly carry my Swiss Army knife, I have it with my other bike kit (pump, spare tyre, tyre levers, mini tool etc) when cycling and I take just it with me pretty much every where I go and have done for over 20 years. It comes in very handy very often.

Funny thing, I went to the cinema, took my shoulder bag (complete with SAK and a small torch, which I also carry regularly) – got searched. No reaction from the security man. I remarked on this to my friend – apparently they are searching for FOOD, it seems that because the cinema is such a rip off food-wise, people try to smuggle in their own.

So it's fine to take your knife to the pictures. Bloody hell – can I really be arrested for having my little knife with me?

Burls72
    Free Member

Nonsense – Originally wrote "if your very lucky you get a caution" but edited it out.

You obviously have a far greater knowledge of the law than me but would you not agree that your more likely to be convicted in magistrates court than crown I think I read somewhere thats its around 80% magistrates and 50% crown. The main reason for this is the minor and less complicated cases are heard at magistrates court. The police would therefore have a greater understanding of the law involved so would be less likely to arrest as they know the probable outcome and know it's just not worth the wasted paperwork and target not met.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Karinofnine

a swiss army knife is not a lockknife nor is the blade over 3" so its the sort of knife you are allowed to have. so long as you don't wave it at anyone you will be fine

Karinofnine

Good news TJ – no, I don't make a habit of waving it at people.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Talkemada you really have a massive downer on authority figures don't you!?

Yes, but I meant no disrespect to police here. Just making the point that it's the courts who decide on guilt, not a policeperson.

As for the legislation; I refer to recent amendments regarding locking blades. At least, maybe these are simply recommendations regarding such, rather than actual changes to legislation, but my point remains. Recent media hysteria has led to a tightening of Law regarding possession of knives. Previous to this, possession of such a knife would not necessarily be illegal.

I would go and have a root around for the relevant info, but CSI's on!

Karinofnine

So, how does it work with kitchen knives then? I've got a knife I use for food prep which has a 5" blade, sharp as owt. When it breaks how do I get its replacement home from the shop?

Mail order?

thegreatape
    Free Member

It works fine, because you have a good reason for having it with you, so there's no problem. Relax!

Nonsense
    Free Member

Karinofnine – you would have a reasonable excuse!!! Honestly people it's not that difficult 😉

Talkemada I know you weren't having a dig at the police in that instance. I just think people often mistake media hysteria for reality, as evidenced by some of the comments in this post. The legislation hasn't changed at all, the only thing that might have changed are the sentencing recommendations and that is a matter entirely for the courts.

Burls72 I'm not entirely sure what stats you are talking about. As they are statistics I would be inherently wary of taking any notice of them whatsoever. All criminal cases are heard at the magistrates court in the first instance. It's just that if the sentencing options open to the Magistrates are insufficient it then get's heard at the trial stage at Crown court.

Conviction rates depend on a huge number of things and has very little to do with which particular court it's heard at. I would suggest that the most frequent cases heard at a Magistrates court relate to road traffic offences, most of which aren't criminal convictions and aren't exactly comparable. So in short … no idea what you are on about. Sorry.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Ok, so it's the recommendations which have changed. But that has happened undoubtedly as a result of media and public pressure, and for the Home Office to be seen to be responding to the 'spiralling number of knife crimes'.

I still think Barnes should go daaahyn though…

Mark

I have a Topeak Alien in my bag.. I've carried it on my person a fair bit. Put shelves up with it and stuff.

It has a locking blade.. Ooops!

Talkemada
    Free Member

It has a locking blade.. Ooops!

Officer! Another perp over here!

Book 'em, Danno…

TenMen
    Free Member

this only happens if there is sufficient evidence to give a realistic prospect of conviction

In my police experience, the CPS only charge if there is a 110% chance of conviction. And I've given evidence in both Crown and Magistrates courts numerous times, and I'd suggest that if there is a lower conviction rate in the Crown, it's because of the jury system. Rightly or wrongly, the use of a jury brings a lot of unpredictability into the decision-making process. As well as defense barristers, who can pick holes in the tightest of cases. Giving evidence is something I've learnt to enjoy, but it took a while!

As for quotas, in the forces that still use them, most just use arrests as a mark of performance, not how the crime is then dealt with i.e. court, caution or no further action.

user-removed
    Free Member

I've always carried a penknife of some description or other. Saved up for my first aged 10 – the age at which my parents judged me responsible enough to have one (I still managed to cut myself a fair few times, play knifey with my mates etc and finally respect how dangerous they can be!).

When all the media hype started kicking off a few years ago I got myself the most inoffensive, old mans' folding knife I could find. It's in my pocket now – a George Wostenholm from Sheffield. Looks lovely but utterly un-macho 🙂

I still have a few lock knives and sheath knives but sadly, they never leave the house – just not worth the risk IMO – you never know when you're going to meet the one in one hundred tosspot policeman like the one who arrested the pensioner mentioned on page one.

samuri
    Free Member

You can't have 'one law for crackheads and another for simonfbarnes'. That's not on.

But what you can do is have a quick look at the stabbing statistics and make a quick determination about who should be able to carry knives from that. My guess is that most stabbings are carried out by young men under the age of 20, probably younger.

I doubt very many 50 year old men stab people so which should it be illegal for Simon to carry a knife?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Because if it's illegal for a teenager in Hackney to carry a knife, it must therefore also be illegal for a 57 year old man in Lancaster. The Law cannot be seen to be prejudiced or discriminatory in any way. I know it's bollocks, but that's the way it is. The Law has to apply to everyone equally. If Barnes has no good reason to be carrying a knife, then he goes daaaahyn.

Think about anything else; nice respectable Middle Class bloke, and a scrote off a housing estate, both caught whilst over the limit (by exactly the same amount) in charge of a motor vehicle. You can't let the former off just because he's more 'respectable'. You have to apply the Law equally.

konabunny
    Free Member

In my police experience, the CPS only charge if there is a 110% chance of conviction. And I've given evidence in both Crown and Magistrates courts numerous times, and I'd suggest that if there is a lower conviction rate in the Crown, it's because of the jury system.

:mrgreen:

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Go directly to jail ?’ is closed to new replies.