Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Gluten free haggis
  • redmex
    Free Member

5 mins in the microwave, Sainsburys seeded folded flatbread filled with the haggis , tomato ketchup with a side dish of petis pois. Fast food and couldnt be bothered peeling tatties and neeps an acquired taste.
    Is that a healthy dish being glutten free and a portion of green? It was tasty nice and peppery nor stodgy. No reciting tam o shanter to be heard

RobHilton
    Free Member

Probably sacrilege, but I’ve got a thing* for the vegetarian haggis Waitrose do.

*I like to eat them – nothing more

geoffj

Is that a healthy dish being glutten free

No

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08bhd29

poah
    Free Member

What’s unhealthy about prolamins?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

5 mins in the microwave, Sainsburys seeded folded flatbread filled with the haggis , tomato ketchup

Probably fell off the healthy train around here.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ketchup?!

I hope you meant brown!

Northwind

Which one did you get, the Simon Howie? We usually get Findlays, bloody lovely.

ratherbeintobago

Numpty question – I though haggis was made with oatmeal, which i thought was gluten free?

Drac

Numpty question – I though haggis was made with oatmeal, which i thought was gluten free?

Traditionally yes but if there’s a marketing opportunity to be had then someone will think of it.

Northwind

Oatmeal isn’t gluten free, because oats are so widely contaminated with wheat. The only thing you have to do differently to make GF haggis is source pure oats.

But I hope nobody lets that get in the way of a smartarsed comment 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

This is my favourite Haggis.

Always eat it with Tabasco.

RobHilton
    Free Member

if there’s a marketing opportunity to be had then someone will think of it.

Reduced calorie orange juice – orange juice diluted with water 😯

Costs more than orange juice!!

Some people are too gullible

Northwind

Rob Hilton – Member

Reduced calorie orange juice – orange juice diluted with water

Costs more than orange juice!!

Some people are too gullible

But gluten free haggis = a genuine alternative that lets people with medical conditions eat things they want to. So what’s your point?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Second the macsween haggi…

myti
    Free Member

Was the flat bread gluten free?

Drac

So that’s what these pure oats are? Oats that have been prepared in environment that there has been no wheat used.

redmex
    Free Member

No ive never bought or needed gluten free before love caffiene full fat or skimmed red can coke etc just picked up the haggis but its really good. Is haggis only enjoyed here north of the border or all of the uk? I wouldnt go near tripe i would rather starve

tjagain

My fave “fake food” is low fat cheese – its just cheese made with milk and water mix ie your 100g of “cheese” only contains 50g of cheese and 50 g of water.

Veggie haggis is a nonsense. Haggis is sheep offal mixed with oatmeal. Veggie “haggis” is not haggis.

Drac

Is haggis only enjoyed here north of the border or all of the uk?

All over the UK really just like most foods.

poly
    Free Member

So that’s what these pure oats are? Oats that have been prepared in environment that there has been no wheat used.

as I understand it the issue is not just the factory, it’s the entire supply chain has to be gluten (not just wheat) free. Crop rotation means it is common for oats to be grown in fields that have barley, Rye, wheat, etc too. And then to be harvested by machines that are used on gluten containing crops, and stored in silos/warehouses that have been used for others. traditionally there is not great segregation or cleaning between these crop types. if you doubt this is an issue you are welcome to share a room with Mrs P after eating non-gf oats!

TJ – I’d say Haggis is a “peasant food” about using oats and spices to make the most out of stuff that would probably go to waste; I am sure that in hard times such puddings were sometimes made without a sheep’s pluck and so I have no issue with vegetarian Haggis, just as I have no issues with vegetarian sausage.

deadkenny
    Free Member

redmex – Member 
    Is that a healthy dish being glutten free and a portion of green

Gluten free isn’t a health option, it’s an option for those who truly are intolerant of gluten as in it will make them sick. If you aren’t intolerant it won’t make any difference whether the oats or whatever are GF or not, other than weight of your wallet.

theotherjonv

Veggie “haggis” is not haggis.

It is bloody tasty though.

BenjiM

My fave “fake food” is low fat cheese – its just cheese made with milk and water mix ie your 100g of “cheese” only contains 50g of cheese and 50 g of water.

You mean a hard cheese (akin to cheddar) or a soft “cream type” cheese? Seeing as we make reduced fat cheese, that’s definitely not how it’s made. We used skimmed milk rather than whole milk and is made using the same process as the rest of our territorials.

Or do you mean Dairylea spread and its ilk?

For those who want to eat cheese after a workout we’re now selling protein cheese! 37% protein and 3% fat. It also gives your jaw a good workout!

Northwind

poly – Member

as I understand it the issue is not just the factory, it’s the entire supply chain has to be gluten (not just wheat) free. Crop rotation means it is common for oats to be grown in fields that have barley, Rye, wheat, etc too. And then to be harvested by machines that are used on gluten containing crops, and stored in silos/warehouses that have been used for others. traditionally there is not great segregation or cleaning between these crop types. if you doubt this is an issue you are welcome to share a room with Mrs P after eating non-gf oats!

Exactly. In fact, the contamination is so wide that for years it was generally believed that coeliacs could neither eat wheat or oats. Pure oats are gluten free but do contain avenin, which is a pretty similiar protein to gluten, and it was thought that they both triggered the same autoimmune response. Now we know that was effectively like saying “Northwind can’t eat a ham sandwich therefore he has a ham intolerance” I always have a mental image of a big production line where people in labcoats take oat grains and cut off the gluten-containing part with a big knife though.

(it turns out there is a link between gluten and avenin intolerance; in fact there seems to be a general genetic link between many autoimmune conditions, diabetics are far more likely to be coeliac than civilians frinstance. But it’s a connection, it’s not a co-condition)

Quite a lot of free from stuff is working smarter around gluten rather than removing ingredients- issues like this crosscontamination, or controlling gluten levels, or rather than avoiding using wheat, using simple processes to remove the gluten- lots of this in brewing, it’s what’s allowed the explosion of GF beers. Thanks, science!

There’s a standard called the codex alimentarius that basically defines at what level a product is considered effectively gluten free; so some things that are naturally nearly gluten free can just brush up their controls and tolerances and be officially gluten free- Coors Light beer frinstance is famously “pretty much” gluten free, but it’s not rated GF because Coors’ manfacturing processes and tolerances aren’t good enough to have that consistency. As consumers we can be pretty assured that it’s safe but as a company they can’t guarantee it. Higher quality beers have been able to make this switch without much bother but if you’re making a trillion gallons of fightin lager nobody really cares exactly what’s in it.

And other products benefit from using just enough gluten, without going over the limit- Glutafin do 2 ranges of GF flour, one is completely 100% GF and the other (Select) is “codex” GF but does contain a tiny amount- and it makes good bread while the other doesn’t. Just enough gluten to help, not enough to explode my intestine.

Also, Codex Alimentarius reminds me of this.

ulysse
    Free Member

Cross contamination is a bitch.
    Something got through 2 days ago and the roof of my mouth swelled up to what feels like the size of an egg…

Drac

Was it an egg?

ulysse
    Free Member

Could well be…

Northwind

A little tiny alien is going to burst out of your mouth. Make sure you film it!

ulysse
    Free Member

The temptation to skewer the bugger is almost overwhelming!
    But I wont

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Gluten free haggis’ is closed to new replies.