• This topic has 27 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Smee.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Glentress weather this weekend- sh*te?
  • hora
    Free Member

Gulp, Reading the Times…says its going to be realistically -3degrees. Gulp. Any better rose-tinted forecasts out there?

Drac

And?

hora
    Free Member

..any (accurate)weather sites for Scotland?

Drac

What’s wrong with -3 that you need to try and kids yourself it will be otherwise, which chances are it will be given they can’t get the weather to within a few hours never mind days.

uplink
    Free Member

Cold is OK most of it is in the forest so wind isn’t an issue
    -3 is fine if you’re moving along a bit

Stu

..any (accurate)weather sites for Scotland?

hora
    Free Member

Yes MTFU. If I decide not to take along the bike (weekend in Edinburgh) I know I’ll regret it.

Kit
    Free Member

To be fair, GT is probably the worst place to go at a weekend when its been snowing, unless you’re off the beaten path. All the regular trails will be icy as buggery. You’re better going to Innerleithen or Drumlanrig if you have time.

hora
    Free Member

Is Drumlanrig open?

MussEd
    Free Member
    uplink
    Free Member

The parking’s free at Drumlanrig too

ShinyRedOrange
    Free Member

The parking at Drumlanrig is only free if there is nobody in the wee hut charging.

I’ve been and had to pay and other times got it free, last time I was down it was autumn and had to pay. But the last time it was free, I tried to give Rik money but he wouldn’t have it. The Drumlanrig roots are nice in the winter.

Garry_Lager

There’s a wee bridge on the road round the corner with space for free parking. They actually prefer it if you park by there, frees space up for the kids in the main site.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i wouldn’t bother travelling too far to get to GT, we’ve had a huge dump of snow and more forecast all the way to the weekend plus it takes ages to shift from the medium to higher trails.

hora
    Free Member

Reminds me when I was there in December. On the way back to Manchester I took an odd turn (didnt turn the satnav on). I drove from GT back into Peebles Right upto the end of the high st and turned right (infront of the church?) anyway it was an amazing long and winding road with stunning views- not another car. Not one, with snowy wonderland. I cant remember using the brakes once on there -just used the engine revs/gearing down etc and let it flow. After along descent back down the value (left side exposed) I came out into a sleepy village. Anyone know the name of the road?????

druidh
    Free Member

A72 and I’m guessing Biggar

druidh
    Free Member

Good weather forecast here….

http://www.mwis.org.uk/forecast.php?area=5

ShinyRedOrange
    Free Member

There is a good chip shop in Biggar.

hora
    Free Member

Ta druidh, will monitor that. A72- if it is I hope I get onto it again on the way home!

uplink
    Free Member

Hora,

That’s pretty much the way you need to go if you’re heading back south M74/M6 from Peebles

Smee
    Free Member

Hora – that would be the Devil’s Beef Tub road (A701) and the village would be Moffat. One of the best bits of tarmac anywhere.

MussEd
    Free Member

Smee – I concur, sounds like Moffat.

hora
    Free Member

Its not the A74 (just looked at routeplanner). I drive that way on the way up. Its got a couple of 30/40mph’s which breaks the flow too much. Its definitely the A701/Moffat. Your driving very fast but theres no drama or even sensation of speed….soo smooth 🙂

Smee
    Free Member

You do realise that there are a hell of a lot of cyclists use that road. Probably not the best one for driving very fast on…

hora
    Free Member

I didnt know that -sorry. Noted. Most of it (from memory) is quite open though?

ml
    Free Member

Or else MetCheck.

Kit
    Free Member

You do realise that there are a hell of a lot of cyclists use that road. Probably not the best one for driving very fast on…

They must all hide when I drive that road then, as I’ve seen maybe a total of 10 bikes in the 20 years or so I can remember regularly going up and down that road. Have always thought it’d be a good cycle route though as its generally fairly quiet.

Smee
    Free Member

It forms part of the Southern Uplands Sportive route, Merida Sportive route and there are always a hell of a lot of roadies on it. Mostly Sunday mornings.

Cracking route when joined up with the Megget and St Mary’s loch roads.

It is mostly fairly open, but there are a couple of twisty sections that have some blind bends.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Glentress weather this weekend- sh*te?’ is closed to new replies.