Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Glentress night riding – How busy?
  • redfordrider
    Free Member

Are there many people on the trails midweek after dark?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by many but basically not in my experience

neil853
    Free Member

well worth it though, spooky woods in the dark was amazing

beefy

I found that there where quite a few people around, I think there is a regular night ride on a Wednesday. Definatly worth doing at night, +1 for spooky wood at night, spooky bit is more spooky!

ittaika
    Free Member

i was suprised at how quiet it was there in the evenings. i believe there is a group ride on a wednesday night though is there not?

pie-run is great fun in the dark =)

redfordrider
    Free Member

Any more info on Wednesday night rides?

bigjim

are you planning a solo nude ride?

phatstanley
    Free Member

i usually don’t see a soul, but was well freaked out last time i was down when a group of mx riders started shouting unintelligibly at me (and revving their motors!) as i came down to a fire road.

i immediately pictured toecutter and his gang:

GT’s awesome at night.

redfordrider
    Free Member

It’s far too cold for solo nude riding. Basically, I’d like to know that someone might be along shortly to call the emergency services should I wipe out in the woods. I’ve got a GTU 10 tracker which Mrs R can use to follow my solo adventures, but she can’t be relied upon to check it until I’m well over due…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

redfordrider.

anyone who crashes will be eaten by wolves so don’t worry

haggis1978

i did the black last year in the dark and never seen a soul, was on my one as well which probably wasnt too clever. crapped my pants a couple of times as well as i was sure there was beasties out there after me 😆

Northwind

Put it this way- Glentress on a Wednesday night is still busier than a lot of other trail centres are on a lovely warm summer day. But, you still don’t want to depend on being found by random strangers.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Redfordrider, you can tag along with our Wednesday night ride if you want. Leaving Peebles 7.30pm ish.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

+1 for spooky woods in the dark. Jumping in the dark is a wicked buz

redfordrider
    Free Member

And the answer is… Busier than expected. About 20 cars in the parking at 1900 tonight even though it was very windy and a little damp. I counted three groups with a total of 16 riders through Buzzards at 1930ish before going off on my own to explore the red and blue routes. Great fun. I’ll definately be doing it more often even though solo night riding is probably not to be or clever.

Gordy
    Free Member

I’ve arrived at the same conclusion about solo night riding being perhaps not too smart on any ‘exciting’ routes, especially given my somewhat novice status.

If there is a Wednesday night thing does anybody have any details? If not, is anybody up for starting a STW Wed (or Mon, Fri, Sat) night thing (at Glentress or elsewhere) to split driving (from Edinburgh) and/or ambulance-calling responsibilities?

Gordy
    Free Member

Not sure if nobody’s keen or if nobody saw this. One bump only, Captain Ramius. :mrgreen:

Northwind

It has occurred in the past… Yeah, I think I’d be up for it, have car and early-ish finish times and all.

beardy
    Free Member

Id possibly be interested certain nights too.

redfordrider
    Free Member

I’m interested. Pentlands is OK when dry. Some groups meet at the corner store in Bonaly. I’ve now done GT at night several times solo, but always keen for company. Also very keen to do Innerleithen which I’ve not plucked up the courage for yet.

Gordy
    Free Member

What’s Innerleithen got that’s putting you off – dragons? :O)

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Gordy – I’d be up for this. I tend to go on Wed night’s regularish anyway.

redfordrider – Inners in the dark isnt as much fun for some reason – minch moor on your tod in the dark is proper spooky btw. And Caddon bank in the dark solo is a real commitment job (luckily there is a parallel bit about 10m on the right of the entrance that is steep and twisty rooty and not as phobia inducing).

But with the late evenings the dark thing should be less of an issue for ages!

redfordrider
    Free Member

Dragons!?!? There are Dragons?

Gordy
    Free Member

Probably only wee ones. Nowt much for them to eat so if there’s a big one it’ll be really hungry.

I’m gonna go tomorrow unless life gets in the way but I imagine that’s short notice for abody else. Next Wednesday’s probably the next chance I’ll get.

Gordy
    Free Member

Heh – well it looks like Sunday nights are very quiet. Somehow got a sticky front brake tonight that I couldn’t fix so I was fair puffing on the way up!

br
    Free Member
    Gordy
    Free Member

Thanks, bruce. I’ll have a look.

If anybody’s up for it on Wednesday then shout. I’ll dig the big towbar rack out.

Northwind

Gah, curses, it’s my brother’s birthday on wednesday. Damned inconsiderate of him!

Gordy
    Free Member

At least you’ll get cake.

I’ve had no luck getting my front brake to unstick anyway. Dr Bike is coming to work on Wednesday so if he can fix it I’m on for Wednesday night. If not, I’ll have to get the shop to sort it. The old spare bike isn’t really up to the job.

MarkN
    Free Member

Dragons!?!? There are Dragons?

Yeah they toasted the bears a while back. 😆

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Gordy – Redford etc: I’ll be at GT on Wed around 7 is anyone want to hook up. email in my profile.

Gordy
    Free Member

I’m there if I can get that brake fixed. Otherwise, some other time.

redfordrider
    Free Member

I’m exploring the Yorkshire Dales this week. Enjoy GT.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

No problem Gordy. Email me if you get it fixed.

Gordy
    Free Member

Meh – not fixed. Have fun!

Gordy
    Free Member

Bike fixed and it appears to be Wednesday!

Short notice, I know, but I’ll there about 8:00.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Glentress night riding – How busy?’ is closed to new replies.