Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Glentress & Inners. What condition are they in currently?
  • imnotamused
    Free Member

Planning on going down on Sunday so thought I’d check re snow/ice/rideability status. Other option is cathkin braes which I believe is completely snow free.

radoggair
    Free Member

cathkin is completely snow free, glent isn’t nor will be for another 2 weeks i would guess

imnotamused
    Free Member

Is it rideable?

radoggair
    Free Member

judging by the rangers comments andy, No !! stay away . 6″ above buzzards

http://www.trailscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=5486%5D

imnotamused
    Free Member

Wow good link. Cathkin for the first time since the course build it is then. Thanks radoggair

stucol
    Free Member

Cathkin will be snow free because i am not going there on Sunday.

3 Trips there in the last month, snow and/or blizzard conditions every time.

Perhaps in July i will get to ride on the actual gravel.

The tunnel is in and ongoing trailbuilding towards the wind turbine.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Oh I thought it was finished? How much is completed then % age wise?

Northwind

Last week there was good riding from the buzzard’s down- zoom or bust barely ridable in places but the red, blue and fort stuff all nice.

radoggair
    Free Member

95%, there building a wind turbine just now so about 300m is missing, apart from that its all done. There’s easy to follow trails around wind turbine to get you onto the trail. Note: when you get onto the trail head under the tunnel right to left and follow the trail that way. If you go over the tunnel into the trees your going the wrong way. You should go under the tunnel, back up a climb ( about 10metres) then head sharp right down a rockyish trail. Remember this and it’l make sense when you are there. Oh, and once in the car park head go towards the BIG commonwealth sign. trail goes right from there. This took me 20 minutes to understand which way everything went

imnotamused
    Free Member

Cheers will try and remember that!

trekstar
    Free Member
    BrickMan

We went there yesterday, sort of thought there would be snow and read the rangers report, but still went regardless.

Alarm bells should have been ringing when the car park on an easter sunday had all of about 15 cars in it!!

The snow started almost straight away, but was only 1-2″ and well compacted & grippy until the other colours split away leaving just the red. To begin with it was fine & enjoyable, looked like a few hundred bikes had been through, but as we made our way up the climbs it got deeper and more lethal, one person dropped out after it took us all about 10 minutes to navigate down 1x 100m ice chute, which was probably the wise choice!.

The rest of us carried on regardless, the trails became less and less well trodden until it looked like there had been maybe only 2 or 3 bikes through before us since it had last snowed. ANd the snow was in the 5-10″ range.

Very hard going, and took us 4.5hrs to get around the red. But spooky woods (and esp the bit below it) was still very good, lots of almost fully flat on the ground (and sometimes on th ground…) cornering going on, but crashing was fun & comfortable.

Would suggest its going to be worse as more people ride teh upper sections turning them to ice chutes until it melts fully (maybe 3-5 days from now?)

BrickMan

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Glentress & Inners. What condition are they in currently?’ is closed to new replies.