Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Glentress – How easy from Edinburgh + any lockers?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I'm up in Edinburgh (by train) next Thursday, basically with nothing to do whilst my wife sits an exam. I am half considering going to Glentress for the day and hiring a bike, but just have a few questions…

How easy is it to get to Glentress from the centre of Edinburgh (I assume by bus?), how long does it take & which buses etc?

Are there lockers at Glentress where you can dump gear?

Can you use your own SPD's on their bikes ?

Ta in advance

kimbers

id ring the hub and see what they say nice folks probably sort you out

soulrider
    Free Member

email the hub..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Plenty of buses. Every half hour taking around an hour.

Edit – thats into peebles – its a couple of miles along the road to GT but there is also bike hire in peebles itself so you could get a bike there

br
    Free Member

Where are you starting from?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Take your own pedals.

Not aware of any lockers.

hels
    Free Member

You can catch the number 62 at Waterloo Place from First Buses. It goes right past the gate at Glentress, I don't recall if there is a stop, but if you ask the driver nicely* they will likely let you out they are pretty good like that on rural bus routes. It takes just over an hour to get to Peebles if the bus is on time return £8.20.

Have never spotted lockers but if it's a slow day the Hub might be nice enough to look after your bag they have just taken money off you for a hire bike after all.

*try not to sound too much like Prince Charles

ivnickkate
    Free Member

There is a bus-stop at the entrance to Glentress, then you would have to walk only about 400m to the Hub.

Trekster

http://www.thehubintheforest.co.uk/

no idea how much but would cost the bus fare in diesel I would have thought; http://www.innerhaven.co.uk/transport/

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do all Peebles bus-drivers hate Prince Charles ❓

IA

Are there lockers in the shower block? I can't remember.

rs
    Free Member

how much to hire a car for part of the day, might make life easier?

hels
    Free Member

Cynic-al – not wanting to start a thread hi-jack, but I have observed in my many years in this country that bus drivers in Edinburgh and surrounds have little time for foreigners. One day I will learn to say "return to Edinburgh please" in a manner that means they understand me and doesn't make them grumpy. They seem to understand the locals right enough and even smile at them occasionaly, although in the Borders that is likely because they are related.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

bus drivers in Edinburgh and surrounds have little time for foreigners.

there are no road signs in Scotland admitting to the existence of England 🙁

jimmy

Dunc – which Thursday? 11th or 18th?

mcinnes
    Free Member

We got a taxi from Edinburgh to GT, and on the way back taxi to Peebles and then the bus back to EH. The extravagance of taxi there was because we only had the Sunday and the bus didn't leave early enough for us to get a full morning in.

Also worth saying they have showers so you can get sorted for a public transport journey back!

In short, it's very do-able – go for it 🙂

Northwind

The hub (bike shop not cafe) has let me stash some motorbike kit there when I took out a hire bike, it's not so much a service, just that they had the space and I asked. They might be able to do the same for you, assuming a small bag, can't hurt to ask.

rOcKeTdOg

in my experience (admittedly small, 8 visits in 5 years) everytime i have used the bus into Edinburgh and out again the driver has been from easten europe, so if P Charles is hated it's the former commies not the locals.

p.s. the driver will stop anywhere you ask (even if it's not safe!)

jimmy

jimmy – Member

Dunc – which Thursday? 11th or 18th?

BTW, I'm asking because I could be interested in riding if you want comp'ny. I'm in Edinburgh so can drive down. Not definite at this stage I must add…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Glentress – How easy from Edinburgh + any lockers?’ is closed to new replies.