Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Glentress blue, Carron Valley…where next?
  • lucasshmucas

I’ve booked a day off work next Friday so that I can go ride my bike somewhere interesting, preferably within 90 minutes travel of Glasgow, and the closer the better.

I’m new to mountain biking and have been to Glentress a couple of times and have stuck to the blue runs with a little bit of red thrown in. I’ve also been to Carron Valley, which was fun but a bit limited.

I’ve been thinking of going back to Glentress to try the red, visiting Comrie Croft, riding up the West Highland Way from Milngavie until I think it’s time to turnaround and head back, or heading south to one of the other 7 stanes. Any suggestions as to where I should go on my day off would be very welcome.

Ta.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

The blue at Comrie is great fun but very short, the red will probably be a good bit harder than what you’ve tried before. Maybe try and do a bit more of the red at Glentress?

iainc

^^^ agree, Comrie Red is a dark red !

WHW is a bit boring unless you get a local to show you some nice diversions.

Drumlanrig is a good option, but not if it’s wet as the roots are very slippery !

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Aye I’d say red and blue at glentress. Then think about Comrie. The xc trail at Inners is worth considering too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Apart from conic hill descent – which will be beyond you at this stage – that ride out from milngavie is a dullfest. Echo the above, do more of GT.

Gary_M
    Free Member

You could get to Dalbeattie 7 stanes in about 1hr 45 minutes or Mabie in around 90 minutes depending on where you are in Glasgow and the time you’re traveling. Glasgow to Moffat is very quick and it’s then a decent road to Dumfries.

On another unrelated point were you riding on the a77 last night Iain?

hainman
    Free Member

If you just take your time on the Red at Glentress you will be fine

BoardinBob

Blue at Ae is decent. My beginner girlfriend managed it. In fact I would recommend combining the green and blue for a decent run

tjagain

Glen tress red plus the gypsy glen circuit ( over the other side of the tweed valley – plenty of good maps online for it. A nice “natural” ride

fifeandy
    Free Member

Another vote for the Red at GT as the next logical progression.

Mabie Red wouldn’t be a terrible choice.
    Dalbeattie Red, like Comrie is rather dark red in places, so best avoided for the time being (but definitely do it when you are more confident!).

Bit outside your specified travelling distance, but:
    Glenlivet is also a sensible next step.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The red at GT isn’t really any more technical than the blue, it’s just longer, you’d struggle to tell the difference (especially given the blue had some fairly large jumps by trail center standards once you get upto speed).

Ditto the black, the surface is looser and narrower, and there’s a few bits that require a little more than just rolling through but if you’re taking your time rather than going flat out you’ll have time to dab/stop. But the only bits that really feel black were IIRC The Bitch and The Wormhole which are towards the end and run parallel to bits of the red/blue anyway so you lose nothing if you bail out onto the easier trails at that point.

BoardinBob

Glenlivet is also a sensible next step.

Not for a while it’s not.

It’s completely shut for the foreseeable future. Tree disease. Substantial felling needs to take place.

Plus it’s absolutely shit

epicsteve
    Free Member

Sounds like the red at Glentress would be an ideal next step.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Dalbeattie Red, like Comrie is rather dark red in places, so best avoided for the time being (but definitely do it when you are more confident!).

Could do a mix of blue/easyish red though that would make for a decent few hours riding.

iainc

On another unrelated point were you riding on the a77 last night Iain?

Gary – yes, I nearly asked you the same question on the car thread 🙂 I was heading north towards Mearnskirk at about 545ish, having come over Eaglesham Moor. Wondered if it was you flying past heading south !

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not for a while it’s not.

It’s completely shut for the foreseeable future. Tree disease. Substantial felling needs to take place.

Plus it’s absolutely shitAh, that’s a shame.
    I actually quite enjoyed it – rode 4 laps on my XC HT.
    Yes, its basically a very long blue trail with the odd red/black feature, and yes I can totally understand why some (especially more experienced/skilled/over-biked riders) may feel that it’s very bland, but for someone new I think the surface is nice, you can carry speed and its generally nice flowing fun.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh that was me, on the gnarmac weapon 🙂 Thought you might have come chasing me down 🙂

iainc

^^^ 🙂 not after hearing you caught up Obree !

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ah Thursday’s an easy day, tired legs, fat knobby tyres too, you should have given it a go 🙂

iainc

🙂 was my first attempt at riding after damaging ribs on Sunday – my slowest road loop for some time, fuelled by paracetamol… 😯

lucasshmucas

Thanks! Red at Glentress it is! I like the sound of the gypsy glen so I’ll check that out too. Cheers

ianbradbury

Glenlivet actually shuts at the end of October. ‘Crap’ seems unfair, though agreed it’s overgraded. Some good “natural” riding in the area, and all rather pleasant.

matt_outandabout

Dumyat? All the routes there from Bridge of Allan and back are on trail forks etc.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Glentress blue, Carron Valley…where next?’ is closed to new replies.