Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Glentress – a knacker job?
  • carbon337
    Free Member

What is it like at the moment with snow? The Red, spook woods etc.

Got a few days off so may take a trip on Thursday – they were saying snow but it looks like that may hit the west the worst on recent forecasts.

jockhaggis
    Free Member
    carbon337
    Free Member

Bugger – presume trails are icy too then if roads are.

Northwind

We were up on saturday, there’s some rideable, some barely rideable, some fine- zoom or bust was almost completely clear, falla brae was fine, and most of falla brae needed just a little extra care- the bottom bit had more compacted snow on so was a bit iffy in places. The closures on the red were a bit of a bummer though, since they’re all in the “magic height” between the snow line and the ice down low. Bit of an odd ride.

Diane
    Free Member

Apparently pretty much all rideable once you get past Red Squirrel – (Guessing Red Route) but hurry up 😀

carbon337
    Free Member

Im off work Thursday and Friday and trying to find somewhere to ride. Hopefully this forecast wont hold up and I will get somewhere on Thursday.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I am heading down to GT tonight, will post back tomorrow morning with the conditions.

Trekster

Dumfries Stanes and Drumlanrig are all clear and riding loverly 😆

carbon337
    Free Member

That Snow on Thursday looks to be heading down the west side though, so it may not be ok for much longer.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

The conditions on Tuesday night are as follows:-
    Singletrack pretty clear until the climb up to Spooky Wood which had some deep snow in places, I had to get off and push a couple of times.
    The Spookywood decent was pretty much covered in 4″ deep snow, which was frozen in places and rutted from the tyre tracks, pretty much most of the singletrack after Spookywood was clear (Red route).
    The worst bits were the fire roads up to the top of the freeride, they were covered in ice and because it was raining, it made them super slippy.
    To conclude its worth going to GT if you don’t have to travel too far.

Trekster

Blue sky and sunshine here in Dumfries atm. 3deg this morning, very mild all night(night shift)
    D&G and Borders weather

on_the_rivet
    Free Member

I rode Innerleithen this morning and while there are a few patches of snow and ice, most of the lower trails are rideable with care. Caddonbank is almost entirely snow and ice free. Further up things aren’t so good. The climb up to the minch moor was unrideable IMO. I went about 3-400 yards and the snow was too deep to ride through so I about turned and took the shortcut to the SUW. On the whole though, as it gets less use than Glentress, Innerleithen would be a far better bet.

carbon337
    Free Member

Pleased i didnt set off to GT this morning. Just seen on tyne tees news that a bush has crashed between Inners and Peebles. Is it bad up there today.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Carbon337 – What kind of Bush?

hels
    Free Member

It was a 62 Bush.

carbon337
    Free Member

It wasnt a hairy one

iphone + fat fingers = bush.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Glentress – a knacker job?’ is closed to new replies.