Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Glencoe mountain DH track
  • 2tyred

Anyone ridden this? Now clear of snow, and hosting DH races this weekend.

I'm planning a trip next week, bit of hiking and snowboarding at the top of the mountain and a bash at the track riding a hooligan hardtail. Ridden on a board there for years and seen the bike track take shape over the last couple of years and often thought "I fancy a shot at that" (from the safety of the access chair!) so I'm about to. Black-graded DH by all accounts, but no massive mandatory drops from what I've seen, so I intend to gingerly mince my way down a couple of times and avoid death.

Anyone been?

dmoffitt90
    Free Member

Hi, not sure about the chairlift opening times so prob best to call in advance as it might not be on in quiet periods. Rode the track last august and is great although it is very technical and steep, much harder than dunkeld, ft william etc as for drops there are a few which seem to be the better smoother lines for setting up/coming out of corners. Worth a ride though if your up that way. Aslo devils starcase is five mins along the road on the west highland way as is the immense descent down into kinlochleven, both on the West Highland Way.

IA

AFAIK Glencoe DH is closed except for the SDA – the whole resort is pending someone buying it.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Resort is open and but I would check first to check the lift is operating. I was riding it last Saturday on the DH bike and its a pretty brutal descent. But that was trying to charge through at speed…if you are picking your way down slowly then you should be ok, as it is similar in places to some Munro descents I do.

Top section is fine but the middle is steep with limited choice of lines, loose rock and tight turns. I did it in the dry but by all accounts its a monster in the wet.

They are planning to build a freeride trail and family route this year..but are limited to the material they have on site…the Nevis Range as a quarry onsite which helps….still I think Glencoe has plenty of potential and the staff are great!

Not riding the SDA this weekend…but heading up to the Fort William DH this weekend…can't wait!!!:-)

The Fort William DH would be more fun on the hardtail…maybe just try one run at Glencoe and then head up to Fort Bill???

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Was also up last Saturday- again, its pretty rough and a good challenge. Expect to fall off/get stuck!

Its been raining overnight which may actually do the track some good- it was too dry last weekend.

Last years race was dry and dusty on the ractice day- unfortunately it rained overnight and it turned into a bit of a mess!

Racing this weekend so fingers crossed..

doh
    Free Member

AFAIK Glencoe DH is closed except for the SDA – the whole resort is pending someone buying it.

sorry it's the mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1224684/Scotlands-oldest-ski-resort-Glencoe-open-winter-season-sale.html

benjamins11
    Free Member

that article was before the start of the winter season – its now been sold and the new management are running it beautifully from what i here

WackoAK
    Free Member

Press release about biking the new owners also have plans to make a red route in a similar idea to the Nevis Range red route.

Brycey
    Free Member

As others have said it's a wild track, but once you get in to your stride great fun. There are no drops as such, however there is scope for some fairly flamboyant (and sore) tumbles if you got a line or two wrong. One area where the track is a country mile ahead of anywhere else is the ease of uplift, and friendlieness and helpfulness of the staff. It's got a quality feel to the place.

Racing this weekend and praying it's not a wash out!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

What bike you on?

geoffj

technical and steep, much harder than dunkeld

😯

I'm amazed that mere mortals can ride down the Dunkeld track!

2tyred

The new owner is a real enthusiast and the winter saw the hill managed better than it has been for many years. They were fortunate with such a superb season of snow and are serious about expanding bike trails this summer.

Historically the issue with doing that (AFAIK) has always been reluctance on the part of the landowner, as well as lack of funds, but the new owner (of the resort) is very positive about the direction the resort's headed. Much of this depends on the plan to secure CIC funding status, which will change the whole picture for them. Fingers crossed.

For those who've ridden it, thanks for the knowledge!

Brycey
    Free Member

Green Commencal Supreme with white Boxxers. You?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

XTR grey Canfield Lucky with black Boxxers. Mates on Red Cove Shocker/White Santa Cruz V10. Say hello if you see us..

Brycey
    Free Member

Will do, counting down the hours (minutes) until I get away from the office and head north bound. Looking forward to it!

GavinB

Counting down too Brycey!

I'll be there with some mates, hanging around my red VW van – riding a neon green 224/red Boxxers. Say hi if you're passing!

Not ridden there before, although raced Dunkeld last year and thought it was a tough, tough course. If this is harder then it could be an interesting weekend!!

Brycey
    Free Member

Gavin was that you that did the winter series? Red T5 130 (I'm a Transporter geek)? See you up there.

GavinB

Yup, guilty!

Got a few days off afterwards too, so heading to Fort Bill for a play there. Can't wait!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Glencoe mountain DH track’ is closed to new replies.