• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DrT.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Glen Shira to Glen Fyne
  • DrT
    Free Member

Has anybody ridden this as a loop?

Just doing some on the map route planning and wondering how much of an encumbrance the bike will be getting between the heads of the Glens, looks like about 4k of push/carry/wade through bog.

DrT
    Free Member

I'll take that as a no then.

I will report back once I have dragged myself out of the bog 🙂

13thfloormonk

Yeah, sorry DrT, am very interested to hear how it goes, but can't offer any advice. Was thinking about exploring in the area over winter.

Looked on Geograph (a fool returns to his folly etc..) but it doesn't give much away.

Interested in the 'Eagle's Fall' gorge, looks quite exciting.

DrT
    Free Member

Cheers monk. Took your advice on the north shore of Loch Etive, probably better than 95% rideable with only a few short sections of pushing. It was a stunning couple of days I had too.

From the end of Glen Kinglass

Morning

From the North shore

13thfloormonk

Haha, I've got that first photo too, except I was mid-bonk at the time, and it shows…

Nice morning shot too, I can feel the chill in the air!

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Dr T

What was your route for Glen Etive?

Great pics btw. What camera are you using?

Cheers

Sanny

DrT
    Free Member

Monk, I suspect that is a popular spot to photograph, its about 3/4 of the way up the first climb after the cruise down Glen Kinglass, the point where you realise that the last few k along the Loch are going to hurt and a wee stop is due.

Sanny, I did it over two days, Day 1 was Inveronan/Glen Kinglass/Connell. Day 2 was Connel/Bonawe/Track Along North Shore of Etive/Kingshouse for Lunch/WHW to Inveronan. The track along the north shore is all good going apart from a couple of very short pushes up steep/loose parts of the track and a short bogggy/rocky section as you near the end of the Loch.

Camera is a Pentax Optio WS80 waterproof. Pictures are only good in good light, or underwater, but its pretty robust and obviously doesnt mind the scottish weather. It's also nice rinsing the camera under the tap if it gets caked in mud.

AlasdairMc

Dwayne,

When are you planning to ride it? I've not had an MXCT for a wee while and might be interested.

al

DrT
    Free Member

Al, probably towards the end of the month, Sunday 26th is the next free day I have or the following Sunday. You free then? Ill start a thread on mtbscotland nearer the time.

AlasdairMc

I should be free both days, I'll wait to hear from you.

al

PeteA
    Free Member

Dr T, was brought up in the Royal Burgh of Inveraray. Not sure how enjoyable that would be. You can travel up a track starting on the left hand side of the Dubh Loch on Glen Shira all the way to Elrig Beag ( The RHS is tarmac) From the locked Hydro gate at Elrig Mor its tarmac all the way to Shira Dam. Having climbed Ben Bhuide I cannot imagine it would be much fun carrying the bike over that terrain. However there is now a pretty large windfarm up there now so there could be tracks over towards Glen Fyne. The turbines look like they head towards the start of Glen Fyne but would be a pretty steep descent. From Loch Shira Dam over towards the start of the River Fyne at the head of the Glen would be pretty heavy going I would guess. If I remember its pretty much tarmac all the way down Glen Fyne but at least you can stop at Glen Fyne Brewery for some refreshments!!

DrT
    Free Member

Thanks pete. Im not sure if your description puts me off or makes me more keen.

I found the following description of Eagles Fall on t'internet which sounds interesting, 'The route took me up the dank, claustrophobic ravine leading to the Eagle's Fall, the floor of the defile a slimy, slithery obstacle course. Exit from the depths was an adventure in itself. That few people pass this way was obvious – yet what an unearthly, eerie underworld this was, quite unique in the southern Highlands.'

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Glen Shira to Glen Fyne’ is closed to new replies.