Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Glen Kinglass- Route advice
  • treka
    Free Member

Planning a “big country” route with with the kids (10 & 11 years old and competant riders). Any feed back would appreciated for the route starting at Victoria bridge to Taynault as to any likely difficulties (apart from Dad’s fitness levels). From the map it would seem that it is largely a LRT, but are there any particually rough sections or steep push ups for tired little arms, or even, is it better going from west to east, all be it with more climbing. We are planning to be dropped off and collected at the end to avoid the A85. Many thanks Treka. 😕

ononeorange

Did this ride with Mrs Ononeorange last month. Awesome. Definitely go from Victoria Bridge, as it descends far more that way. It’s a great easy track to begin with (we cut up through the first on the main track and then dropped through the farm to the first river crossing). After the loch, it’s a long but gradual pullup, then once over the top it becomes more technical for a while – although the trickiest bits can be walked.

After the lodge it’s an easy track again, along Loch Etive, although if they’re tired by then it’s very undulating for the last 5 miles (to a Southerner, anyway!).

We met a school party of I suppose early teens with teachers, they were tackling the other (hard) way, yours should be fine, it’s a big day but absolutely stunning. Recommended! Enjoy.

ononeorange

PS to avoid the A85 into Taynuilt, keep straight on through the park, when yuou get to the road turn right for half a mile, when you get to the smokery go through the car park out to the riverside walk at the back (hidden!), down to a fields and over the rather ornate pedestrian suspension bridge. Straight over the next field brings you onto a tiny road – turn right and this drops you into Taynuilt via the Bonawe furnace.

Steve_B

1st Route advice – go with someone else to assist – maybe you are – its not clear from your post.

35k off road is a fairly big ride in most peoples terms and planning to take 2 youngsters on a route that has no opt outs when expressing doubts on your own fitness levels seems a bit odd to me and thats without considering mechanicals, accidents, poor weather.

It is not a hard route but I wouldn’t go with a mindset that the last 5miles easy ( and I’m not a southerner 😉 )- it is LRT but it is very undulating and I have seen it sap the will of reasonably fit and experienced riders – mainly because when you reach L Etive your mind thinks that it is easy and downhill to Taynuilt – so allow plenty of time for that section.

The midges are fierce – not a problem when moving but they know how to find you if you have to stop.

(Theres also the option of train from Taynuilt to avoid long car pick ups tho the downside is that would add time pressure which is the last thing you want with youngsters)

treka
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback folks. We all have good fitness levels and well prepared for unforeseen circumstances. As you say it is a commited route, hense asking for advice on track conditions. I can see your point on the section after reaching Loch Etive may sap will power. We are looking for a full day with settled weather.

AntM
    Free Member

I did this with a group of 15 year old doing training for Duke of Ed’. They generally found it hard with the last section along loch Etive being a series of kicks in the teeth. The short steep climbs at the end are tough and can be very demoralising and are the only way out! I’ve used the train option for ‘uplift’ which worked well. The track is LRT vertually all the way with a ‘techy’ section not far after Loch Dochard but as Ononeorange stated it can walked. There is section that is a series of granite slabs to ride over which is simply superb. It will be a LONG day with kids that old, at least 7hours with no moble phone coverage. Take lots of food and a group shelter and be prepared to suffer alot of ‘are we nearly there yet?’ you all need to be fit for this!

ononeorange

Sorry yes, read my first thread again – I meant the Etive bit was easy in a non-technical, underwheel way – the hills are hard, indeed. Mrs Ononeorange had a minor outbreak of Tourette’s at each climb!

One other thing – there a number of river crossings early on, easy enough in good weather but if it’s been wet before could be problematic.

Our mobile phone suddenly started bleeping halfway down Loch Etive as coevrage came back, from a point where it was pretty much downhill to Taynuilt, so not a lot of use!

rickmeister

Treka, Any thoughts on this….

A cheeky pick up at the bottom of the track where it meets Loch Etive, find someone to ask explaining your with your kids for the sympathy / adventure angle. Its drivable all the way. Cant remember a gate on the road.

Or,

Again try and find someone who will do a boat pick up for a few quid. Would be a great way to end the day….

The bike out along the loch is a kick in the slats at the end of an amazing ride. Loch Tulla to Loch Etive is the way to go….

We dont have kids but if they are strong, getting rid of the last section which I reckon they will walk, with car/boat pickup … could you get dropped off at Rannoch Mor Ski carpark, food, snacks and Mum at Loch Tulla, pick up at Loch Etive by boat/car. An AWESOME day…., mostly down from Loch Rannoch too…

Someone will be along with a kids oriented reality check in a moment…..

Sort out a pick up and get the best of everything. Even a quiet evening as they will sleep quite well….

HeatherBash
    Free Member

If the grounds baked dry, you get a good day and your kids are very fit then would be ok but in anything other than perfect conditions that’s a big route for a 10 y/o. ( see previous poster comments re 15 y/o – huge difference in power / endurance betweena 10 y/o and a 15 y/o)

kennyp
    Free Member

There used to be a lovely, rocky, descent in the middle, just before the big slabs. However I’ve heard it’s all been smoothed out to enable stupid fat people to be driven in in order to shoot things.

allyharp

It’s not too technical and has some awesome scenery. Up to Glen Kinglass lodge it’s a great ride. When I was there last year it was very dull LRT from that point onwards, which I think might now start even earlier.

The last section by Loch Etive though was a bitch. Maybe I was just having a bad day but I really struggled and walked all the uphills and vowed never to do it again!

Personally I’d probably ride from Victoria Br to Kinglass lodge, then back again the same way. But out-and-back routes just never feel quite as good.

ononeorange

Thought about the boat pick-up angle on Etive – and have dug out his number. It’s Donald Kennedy and he’s on 01866 822430 or 07721 732703 (working hours). He’s a helpful kind of chap and you could probably work something out with him (he’s based at Taynuilt quay).

And there is a gate on the road – about a mile before you get to the country park there’s a metal barrier locked across.

rickmeister

On one, top info…. nice one. Would consider Glen Kinglass, boat pick up and transfer to the head of the loch and the Glen Etive Road, then back up to the car at Rannoch Ski Station…..

Tried the path on the east side of Loch Etive, heading north, lost the will to live and returned up Glen Kinglass… a long day….

Kunstler

I did this route on Sunday. A fantastic ride – in close proximity to some amazing mountains, the landscapes are immense.

We left a car at Taynuilt and took the train to Tyndrum (you have to faff with changing trains if going to Bridge of Orchy) and rode up the West Highland Way to Victoria Lodge. The onward track is rough LRT with a few little steps and loose rocks where it descends but is quite easy.

What might be helpful is qualifying what ‘undulating’ means on the track along Loch Etive. This was the term in the guide that I read and maybe plays down how much effort is required. The track climbs up to about 200 – 250 feet and then drops down to the loch again. It does this four of five times (after the third I lost the will to count). So that’s about a thousand feet of undulations. And in places it is steep. Mrs. K also had a good old fashioned bout of hysteria. It was nearly too much at the end of a great ride. I think it would be for kids.

The idea of a boat pick up is genius. There’s a bit of a beach where you reach Loch Etive and it would be a great place to wait for the boat with amazing views to Ben Starav and Beinn Trilleachan. There are also some nice little pools to swim in the river at the top of Glen Kinglass. Its mostly a very shallow river and so at present water is surprisingly not too cold.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Glen Kinglass- Route advice’ is closed to new replies.