Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Glazing too much?
  • onehundredthidiot

So just had a singled glazed window replaced with double glazed unit. Just the glass customers made for the existing frame. Frame is as was.

The window is at second storie height and scaffolding was used. Two blokes full cost £500.

Mrs thinks this is too much I think it’s OK.

Who’s right? (I know in the grand scheme of things I’m always wrong)

sharkbait
    Free Member

Depends on how big the DG unit is. If they had their own scaffold it wouldn’t have added much.
    2 x £200 plus £100 for the glass itself.

Sounds expensive – you probably could have replaced the entire window for that… maybe less.

edit: not sure how you fit a DG unit into a frame made for single glazed.

bear-uk
    Free Member

It will probably be a stepped unit, where the inner glass is smaller so it fits inside the frame. double glazed units are not that expensive. Obviously depending on size. Its the Scaffolding that knocks the price up.

MrPottatoHead

I thought all glazing fitted from the inside now, for security reasons. I’d say you probably could have replaced the whole unit for that price. I’ve been getting quotes for replacing my windows and they are coming in at about 500 for a window about 6ft x 4ft.

poolman
    Free Member

The actual dg glass is not much i got a quote for a pane c 3 ft x 2ft, factory price was only about 30 quid, couldnt believe it.

Its an opening window so next visit i ll take the window off and get them to replace the glass.

onehundredthidiot

It’s about 1m x 1m on a slant on the roofabout second floor height.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I was assuming it was a wooden frame? The old UPVC where externally beaded.
    The new units are internally glazed.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m afraid you were bent over.

lesgrandepotato

Does seem a mite toppy, but the labour calculations above don’t stack up. I expect there was also one or more site visits to measure up. That’s the bit of the service your also paying for… if you measure it and they fit then it’s t&m if they measure up and fit (at their risk) then it’s a service and they can charge to the value they choose..

onehundredthidiot

Yes they been out a couple of times measured and fitted.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Just bought a kitchen window and utility room window for my extension

Kitchen window is 1590mm*1230mm £425+vat

Utility is 1185mm*1250mm £355+vat

Supplied and fitted.

wrightyson
    Free Member

No offence bimbler but they are also pretty high prices. Where you based in that there south.
    I pay less than half that.

TheFlyingOx

Yeah, that’s a bit rich. We’ve got quotes for 6 window units, inc. frames, and it’s £1600+VAT. Fitting on top of that but no scaffold required as they’ll be fitted from inside.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Fitting should be circa £100 a frame regardless of size (within reason).

trail_rat
    Free Member

No offence bimbler but they are also pretty high prices. Where you based in that there south.
    I pay less than half that

I know your a builder but I’m quite impressed you can tell all that just from his post.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Tell what? I’m guessing (yes guessing) they are ground floor standard glass. Yes I did assume they’re in a standard colour and not foiled. Just trying to help but hey you advise him if you like.
    Carry on..

trail_rat
    Free Member

i made the assumption they were windows. no more no less…

bit like someone asking how much is their bike worth with the knowledge that it is indeed a bike and not a cake.

Edukator
    Free Member

£500 to go from uW of about 4 to uW of about 2. You can buy a complete triple glazed unit with a uW of 1 online for around £400 on line and then pay a tradesman to fit it.

Too late now but if you have other windows something to consider.

Given the multiple visits and fitting your £500 bill doesn’t shock. I just think you could have got a lot better for not much more.

onehundredthidiot

On the plus side there’s no longer a noticeable cold area on the landing and the Mrs has agreed to turn the heating down.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Glazing too much?’ is closed to new replies.