• This topic has 51 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by tang.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Glastonbury is almost upon us
  • tenfoot

You should be ok Thursday.

We used to go back in the day when people were climbing over the walls. Always turned up on a Thursday, with loads of room to camp.

We’d then get up Friday morning to find we had tents all around us within a few inches of our own little set up.

The guy rope advice is good. Aside from the extra space, people tend to trip up on them in the dark, which can end up damaging your tent.

johnners
    Free Member

Yeah, Thursday will be fine. Have a word with the stewards, they’ll have a fair idea about where there’s space, to save you yomping all over fruitlessly.

I never bother fetching my own beer in, prices on site are not heinous (as event pricing goes). More to the point I cycle there, so carrying meaningful quantities would be a bit tricky without a trailer.

bullheart
    Free Member

Pop by and see my In Laws; they run the Lost Kidz programme in the Kidz Field. Anyone that turns up with a Bullheart tattoo on their person will get a free cup of tea and biscuits*

(*this may or may not be true. Give it a go anyroad…)

😉

Houns

Well I could’ve bet a fair amount on me not being fit. Did my back in last week building a dry stone wall, still flipping hurts, and currently have bum gravy due to a BBQ last night. Just about to start packing as heading down tomorrow. Both issues best clear up over night or it’ll be a horrible journey down

johndoh
    Free Member

It’ll be fine. It’s gonna be sunny*

*Possibly.

Edric64
    Free Member

It will be gridlock, and my missus will have trouble getting home from work .I can hear the noise from my house and Shepton Tesco will be full of unwashed sorts pretending its Woodstock.

edhornby

I’ve always used cheap supermarket/decathlon ones on the basis that should it get fallen on by a pissed up idiot or slashed by a toerag (yes I know that the likelihood is rare but it’s a consideration) then I’ve not lost a posh tent

pack light! it’s only a few days and there will be a lot of trudging, I used to have everything in a hiking rucsac (including packed down tent) and took a camelbak for the day to hold a jumper and hipflask

I wouldn’t bother with any kind of trousers, even when it’s cold June is warm enough, a baselayer, tshirt and waterproof cover many bases. Hiking boots are better than wellies.

red wine in a bag, bottle of malt and a hip flask is optimum booze/weight ratio

lots of socks and pants

johndoh
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with any kind of trousers, even when it’s cold June is warm enough, a baselayer, tshirt and waterproof cover many bases. Hiking boots are better than wellies.

Really? I don’t agree at all! I have been utterly bloody freezing at several festivals in June, July and August. I am planning on taking lots of layers and full waterproofs.

Juts taking a bottle of Scotch – a Tesco cheapo offer £11 for 70cl of Grants. Everything else I am buying in there.

Jerome
    Free Member

Take a Wheeley bag . I have a 60l one I got from Kathmandu .

johndoh
    Free Member

Take a Wheeley bag .

Nah, just taking my rucksack. I hiked around Europe for 3 months with everything needed (camping/cooking gear and clothes) so I am sure I can manage 4 nights in Somerset with it. I don’t plan on lugging in cases of beer and just have a collapsible water bottle in there (and the Scotch). All other fluid (ie alcohol) will be bought onsite 🙂

CountZero

Definitely do one trip from the car, don’t bother with a truck as they get ruined in the mud.

Certainly couldn’t have managed without mine, as my car was parked the other side of the Solent…
    One thing I learned was how to attach stuff to the trolley. I bought a wide long luggage strap, bundled everything together with it, then lashed it all on with the trolley bungee cords. Which promptly broke as soon as I started along the rough broken hardcore laid down from the bus stop. Bugger.
    Managed to re-tie them, but it was pretty rough, and there were already sad single wheels lying by the main tracks, and I had to walk about as far from the stage/arena area as it was possible to get, because all the closer fields were pretty crammed, and that was lunchtime Thursday! And a total attendance around 55,000, a hell of a lot less than Glasto!
    Lashed everything directly to the trolley with the luggage strap coming home, and it was a lot more secure, but I did see a couple of people who’d got hold of a roll of pallet wrapping and wrapped everything on their trolley with it. Brilliant idea, everything stays put, and is kept dry if it rains. Never thought of that, and I’ve got a roll in the shed…
    Still, four nights camping, my Gelert camping mat was brilliant, my £19 Aldi sleeping bag was toasty, and I’ve decided to save money by camping for a week in South Devon later this year, where I’ll have the car next to me, and fires are allowed.
    Pretty much wild camping, no real facilities, so just like a festival, but without a bunch of drunk Welsh yakking loudly until 4am, so should be perfect.
    Here’s to getting Glasto tickets next year, and have a fantastic time everyone who’s going.
    Not watched the IoW footage yet, but I’m very visible right at the front, a friend took a photo and posted on Fb!
    A bit more difficult at Glasto, though. 😀

tang
    Free Member

Just off the phone to my Dad, two brothers and my daughter, having a great time. Dad has been selling pots there since the early 70s. Despite being mainly in galleries he still does Glaston and Cropreddy(sp) every year to catch up with old friends and some music!

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Glastonbury is almost upon us’ is closed to new replies.