Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Glastonbury 2013. Who's going?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

At 39 it’s finally time I got to Glastonbury. Going to go next year. Anyone else going? Would love to hear people’s previous highs and low experiences.

Mooly
    Free Member

Would love to. Experiences – All amazing and all different. Been to about 5 or 6. Be prepared to have an altered vision on life afterwards. And of course take plenty of D*$£s.
    Its what its for.

voodoo_chile

Are the beatles on loddrik?

john_drummer
    Free Member

who’s on? and will it be raining?

darrell
    Free Member

2000 was my last visit. it was great but for me there are far better festivals to go to now

bamboo
    Free Member

I’ve been for the last 3, it is great fun irrespective of the weather. I can’t say that it changed my view on life though!

Mooly
    Free Member

So come on darrell please let us know the better festivals than Glasto. Very interested and may be persuaded.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Thinking about it.
    Got the lottery of tickets first.

nealglover
    Free Member

Be prepared to have an altered vision on life afterwards.

Mmmmmm, been a few times, and love it.

But.

Seriously ??

darrell
    Free Member

i would recommend going to WOMAD if you live in the UK

I now live in Norway and go to Øyafestivalen in Oslo most years – which is good for a ageing old fart like me

🙂

johnners
    Free Member

who’s on? and will it be raining?

Nobody knows, nobody knows, and furthermore nobody’s even taken a punt at the ticket lottery yet so asking “who’s going?” is just a wee bit premature.

john_drummer
    Free Member

exactly.

I’ll only be going if Chasing Glass are playing* and I won’t give a hoot about the weather

*my band

johnners
    Free Member

I’ll only be going if Chasing Glass are playing* and I won’t give a hoot about the weather

*my band

If you play you’ll at least have some cover over the stage and a slightly less squalid place to camp so I see your point.

kimbers

its lost a lot since the wall went up

its cleaner, safer and more civilised, but definately lost its edge

still an awesome experience

you really ought to get as high as possible though and theres so much more than just the main stages, you have to see the sunrise at least once!

rudebwoy
    Free Member

its another corporate fessie these days, one of the better ones, but not my cup of cha

CountZero

its lost a lot since the wall went up

its cleaner, safer and more civilised, but definately lost its edge
    You mean it isn’t crawling with thieving scallies down for the weekend just to rifle through lots of tents to feed their crack habits.
    Sure, that makes it so much more edgy and exciting, wondering if all your possesions would still be in your tent when you got back.
    If you even still had a tent.

loddrik
    Free Member

Had quite enough ‘edginess’ in my life, clean and safe is good for me.

sc-xc

its another corporate fessie these days, one of the better ones,

I agree. I have great memories of Glastonbury from the hazy early 90s, but it’s just another big gig in a field now.

If you have kids, look at Bearded Theory or Beautiful Days…or any of the hundreds of smaller festivals that are popping up.

Mugboo

Bingley Music Live – its a short bus ride away and I get in my own bed, at 41 that’s perfect 🙂

Razor light last night, Charlatans Friday and Nero tonight.

I’ve got to that age where the smell of skunk is much better than the effects, I’ll stick to the real ale tent!

Beat herder sounds good too.

kimbers

You mean it isn’t crawling with thieving scallies down for the weekend just to rifle through lots of tents to feed their crack habits.
    Sure, that makes it so much more edgy and exciting, wondering if all your possesions would still be in your tent when you got back.
    If you even still had a tent.

went twice b4 the wall was up and neither myself nor any of my mates had anything nicked

there was also a marked change in the type of drugs being taken, cant imagine any people are doing acid these days but the last time i went was really surprised by the number of people with those little plastic inhalers full of coke at late night sound sytems

the end of the rave scene is probably to blame, to paraphrase ‘Es are no longer good’

the toilets are far less horrific though

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Glasto is also very elitist now, a safe place for the middle class to take drugs and imagine that its ‘enjoyment’

bigdean

Dont get festivals.. But then i am a misserable git who hates crowds and expensive beer.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve got to that age where the smell of skunk is much better than the effects, I’ll stick to the real ale tent!

although after a good while spent sticking to your second point I often tend to forget your first..

deluded
    Free Member

I’m going to give it a nudge this year along with about ten mates (+ wives & kids), using it as an occasion to celebrate our 40th birthdays.

A few of us are going to club together for an old ramshackle caravan that will get us through the few days that we’re there, which is good for me as I need my own space to retreat to now and then.

I must resist the temptation though of getting on decent Somerset rough, and then thinking it wise to bang out some moves in the Dance Tent. As a ever so slightly over-nourished middle aged baldy, I can’t imagine it would be as ‘sexy’ as it was in the mid 90’s 😛

tazzymtb

last time I went was in ’94 and it was turning into a right old bunch of bland commercial knackers then. God knows how horrific it is now!

deluded
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member

last time I went was in ’94 and it was turning into a right old bunch of bland commercial knackers then. God knows how horrific it is now!

You’re like one of those proper hardcore, old skool radicals aren’t you!

I doubt it’s horrific mate – people probably still enjoying themselves and having fun.

Edit – although Chumbawamba played in 94 and what a bag of old **** they were. That couldn’t have been fun or enjoyable.

tazzymtb

Edit – although Chumbawamba played in 94 and what a bag of old **** they were. That couldn’t have been fun or enjoyable.

chumbwumba were cack at any time! 😀

not saying that the identikit glasto kiddies don’t have fun listening to bland commercial pap, just that the decline (for me personally) from what it was in the 80’s and 90’s through to what it has become is really quite significant. I’m sure festival goers from earlier eras said much the same thing.

who want’s “safe” it was much more fun knowing that if you found the smelliest crusty with the rattiest dog on a string you could get the best acid. If your tent got trashed, you just made friends with a stranger and passed out with them. 😀

grtdkad

We need to go back. Possibly taking the (three) kids. Last time we were there was ’94 …
    Radiohead, Weller, Oasis (on stage mid afternoon), Blur, Manics all stick in the memory

… and The Pretenders. They were ace too!

yunki
    Free Member

As a ever so slightly over-nourished middle aged baldy, I can’t imagine it would be as ‘sexy’ as it was in the mid 90’s

LOL.. it was never ‘sexy’ in the 90s you poor deluded fool.. what it was was nourishment for the soul.. get some cyder in you, and a few cups of mushroom tea and get amongst it..
    the worst that can happen is that the teenyboppers will think that you’re some kind of weird performance artist.. 8)

deluded
    Free Member

LOL.. it was never ‘sexy’

yunki – you’ve never seen me dancing – that’s what I was referring to 😀

yunki
    Free Member

some simple dancing science:

if the dancer thinks their dance is ‘sexy’, it’s %100 guaranteed that the dance is anything but ‘sexy’

deluded
    Free Member

harsh but fair – I am only joking of course 8)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2Z09CiJLR_g[/video]

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Glasto is also very elitist now, a safe place for the middle class to take drugs and imagine that its ‘enjoyment’

Poor drones, eh? They probably can’t even comprehend what it is to be a free spirit.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Poor drones, eh? They probably can’t even comprehend what it is to be a free spirit.

CountZero

When it relies on a lottery to decide who gets tickets? Or are you suggesting that it’s only ‘the middle class’ who make an effort to register?
    Please, grow up.

manoirdelourde
    Free Member

It might be more commercial now, which might not appeal to the wierdy druggy types, but it can still be good fun.
    We have applied for tickets and will be taking our 8 year old son. Camper van is booked for the weekend, no tents for us this year, we intend to have some chilled out family time enjoying the music and the atmosphere . . . nothing wrong with that.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

To be fair, Dubstep wasnt around in the 80’s and 90’s so I doubt it used to be as good as it is now.

Northwind

I’m getting old, so might give it a pop. Always seemed to be a music festival for people who’re not that bothered about music- it’s an experience maaaaan, etc etc. But then I figured, last year at Reading the bill wasn’t that great and I still had a good time in the bits where there was nothing much I wanted to see, and it’s not like there’s much else to do at Reading now that you can’t blow **** up. So, maybe it’s time to give it a sniff.

yunki
    Free Member

Always seemed to be a music festival for people who’re not that bothered about music

oh definitely not.. it’s an extraordinary feast of musical delights, from your favourite superstar acts, to the drum and bass live jazz fusion act in a giant skunky teepee in a corner of the green field, right down to the late night paralytic skiffle band, drunkenly peddling their wares around the campsite at 4am like medieval minstrels.. there is other stuff to do if you want to though..

I guess that perhaps in days of yore you had to be a bit more streetwise to fully enjoy your experience, as it was traditionally a lawless, self policing city.. and a place for very real modern outlaws to gather and celebrate life..

maybe some of that has been bred out of it over the years to make it more accessible to all…?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ynot festival for us next year, taking the kids too. Load of us going for the wife’s 40th. It’s a great festival and having just done v again this year which seemed to have an influx of a certain type of **** from a certain area, I don’t think we’ll be going back. 😐

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Glastonbury 2013. Who's going?’ is closed to new replies.