Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Glasses wearers on bikes: How do you commute?
  • SaxonRider

Last night’s commute was awful!

I can hardly see without my glasses, but when I was moving the rain was making it impossible to see through the lenses, and when I was stopped, they fogged up and made the situation worse.

I couldn’t simply tilt my head and look under or over the lenses, or I would have lost all the vision I had: even the ability to distinguish lights on vehicles.

In any case, I am wondering how the rest of you do it. Are contacts better? Do people without glasses have any trouble when it rains at night and the water is getting into their eyes? Is there a secret to safe and non-visually-impaired night commuting when it is raining?

aP
    Free Member

Sometimes whatever you do it’s very hard to see. I always carry a cycling cap and that helps a lot, but some rain particularly drizzle causes me a lot of problems. If you use some kind of visor spray then that can help the droplets to run straight off.

tthew

Wear gloves with chamois leather palms and fingers, wipe regularly. plus the cap peak is a good call.

deejayen
    Free Member

I ride a reclined recumbent which makes things even worse as I’m not really able to tilt my head down.

Wearing a cycling cap (under a helmet) helps a lot on a normal bike.

I tend to keep my glasses coated with anti-rain and anti-fog solutions – I’m currently using some from a company called Sal Clear. It seems to work well, especially when freshly applied, but the anti-rain stuff really stinks! I’m planning to try a different product (can’t remember the name) which seems to get good reviews.

I’m not sure anything works in fog/very fine rain. It lands on my glasses and turns them into soft-focus filters. There’s not enough weight in the water droplets to allow them to run off (that’s a technical explanation!) On a recent foggy ride I had to remove my glasses, but then I couldn’t see. I also found it difficult to balance due to the unusual vision!

My eyes aren’t suitable for contact lenses – I imagine they must be a good solution if you’re able to use them.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Mud guards, Cap, save one of your snot wipes, stay off the road where possible, slow down a bit.

edhornby

I wear an old pair of specs, it’s fine

as aP says, get a cycling cap under the helmet, it keeps the rain off and provides just enough warmth in these kind of conditions

also, use the snot wiper on your gloves – obviously you need the glove to be uncontaminated of snot

mintimperial

Yep, as above: cycling cap, Muc Off antifog stuff (this is the best of the many variants I’ve tried), gloves with wipey bits on them, take it easy.

hels
    Free Member

Contacts and clear lenses, treat them with the spray stuff so they bead the rain off. All helps, but sometimes you are better just stopping at the pub for an hour until it stops raining.

badllama
    Free Member

If it’s really bad I take them off but I’ve just got some sports glasses that are way better than standard ones in the wet (mine have a sealed gasket around them like swimming goggles.).

cookeaa

I periodically coat my riding glasses in Rain-X which seems to help the water bead up and roll off the lenses… a bit.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I cant ride in glasses tried everything, I now just use contacts, no problems in years of commuting and mountain biking.

crazy-legs

Helmet visor (or cycling cap) keeps the worst off. Wear clean gloves with an uncontaminated snotwipe that you can use to brush off the water although once the gloves become soaked they don’t help.

Wash your glasses clean and then use a proper antifog spray. Washing removes all the bits of dirt and grease that hold onto water.

I wear contacts for “proper” riding but can never be bothered with them for commuting and I wear glasses at work, much prefer them to contacts.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Glasses wearers on bikes: How do you commute?’ is closed to new replies.