Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Glasgow – South Side – Opinons
  • Miggs
    Free Member

I find myself moving to Glasgow with my pregnant partner, and having looked at 5 properties today find that there is a really wide varience between areas – Not being an expert on Glasgow’s southside I’d appreciate folks opinions.

Looked at Pollockshields, Shawlands, and Mount Florida today – very different Ghetto’s in their own way…any pro’s or con’s between these areas?

Cheers

Miggsy

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I think about 50% of the Scottish STW crew live in Shawlands..

Much better to the North, under the Campsies 😉

downgrade
    Free Member

Some estate agents will try to get away with calling everywhere Shawlands as it is probably the most popular area in the southside (and so probably the most expensive).

Mount Florida I would say is just as nice but Shawlands has more shops, pubs etc

Otherwise you seem to have picked out the nicer areas already

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Also check Dennistoun. Cracking area in the east end just a mile from the city centre. The flats around here are excellent value for money just now.

And it’s not bandit country!

klegg
    Free Member

you might’ve noticed the abundance of tenement flats at those places, If you have viewed the interior of any these places then don’t assume the size will attenuate any external noise because it doesn’t. Great flats but local 24hr party animals could soon test your patience. The closer you are to the A77 then you’ll always be close to amenities, unless you move to Newton Mearns which might need a travel dist of 2 – 3 miles for amenities.

stevomcd
    Free Member

burnsybhoy: Aye, right – so it’s no!

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

stevomcd-nae bother in the 6 years I’ve lived here!

skidartist
    Free Member

Southside has some very attractive pockets – seek out the ‘bungo’ – the leafy streets around Moray Place/Regent Park Square/ Queens Sq / Marywood Square. If you are buying theres a few places available including one of the Greek Thompson houses

I’m just about to leave glasgow, so my garden flat there is coming up for rent, poss a bit small if you have an ankle biter on the way. But it has a garden and a secure shed for bikes. So come on, what are your priorities here! Its going to be be ages before he/she/it is running around fast enough to bump into anything and by the time they are you can tether them in the garden – Search for ‘Strathbungo’ on Gumtree and you’ll find it. That said its the Strathbungo Convervation area thats attractive, the strathbungo district is larger and takes in a lot of what people more commonly know as Govanhill. Govanhill is a bit Ghetto in places but close to the park is nice – Queens Drive, Niddrie Sq, Queen Mary Ave

On the opposite corner of Queens Park check out Camphill Avenue and Mansionhouse Road. Some of the flats there have astounding views that you can’t appreciate from streetlevel, but from the top floors you can see for miles. Bell Street has a charm to although the parking there is chaotic.

From there wander towards Millbrae Crescent its nice around there too – another bit of your Greek Thomspon

Moving out of town Newlands – Newton Mearns along the left hand side of the A77 gets more and more suburban and spacious

MikeT-23
    Free Member

I used to live there, namely Battlefield Gardens, Millbrae Crescent, then Eastwood Ave, and all had their appeals/drawbacks.
    Parking’s a **** bind in all three, and the last location had the thrill of wondering if your car would be undamaged after a Friday/Saturday night when some random drunks would take great joy in performing some indiscriminate car-running or wing-mirror karate. If I’d had a high-power sniper-rifle at the time…..

That said though, the first two were quieter locations, and all three handy for the size-able Queen’s Park, which is a great space for letting the wean run around. A bit further away (but still close) you have Pollok Park – a chunk of countryside in the city. In fact, if you drive, you’re spoiled for parks (Maxwell, Rouken Glen, King’s).

I don’t know what you saw today, but after being in a top-floor for the duration of our daughter’s being (four-and-a-half-years and counting…) I’d recommend a ground or first-floor option, as all that stuff to carry becomes wearing after a short while.

Any other points you may want clarified, just ask again.
    Hope you make a sound choice, and welcome to your new city when you do.

klegg
    Free Member

I wan’t too sure about mentioning this but only yesterday I was twatted with a bottle by some passing N.E.D.S (None Educated DelinquentS)… no way to defend myself as i had both hands on my handlebars at the time. This happened in Shawlands pretty much right on my doorstep. You can still be in the wrong place at the wrong time even on your bike even in what might seem a nice area…….not to put you off or anything…….There is a grey side to most areas even where your coming from where ever that may be… If i could afford i’d be in the suburbs mate!!!

piemann
    Free Member

I lived in PollokShawlands (border of Pollokshaws and Shawlands) for three years. I loved it, but have now moved South for work. I would rate it very highly; much, much better than the West End and a lot less “neddy” than the East End. Queen’s park is great, and Pollok park even has some trails in it (ok, they’re really short, but they helped get my missus into trail riding so they will always be special to me :-))

BoardinBob

I’m in Shawlands and I’ve stayed in the southside for the past 6 years (Shawlands, Shawlands, Battlefield then back to Shawlands again!)

Personally I love the southside. Nice selection of bars and restaurants, lovely parks closeby, great transport links, decent areas with decent people and the property is a lot more reasonable than the west end.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I found the price of 2bed flats in the quiet country about 7-9 miles north of the city is the same price as box-room studio flats in the southside. I recently started looking to buy a place but I’ve yet to find anywhere on the southside that looked half as appealing, quiet or ned-free. Personally I’d go west-end if I were looking for a near-city place and could afford it, otherwise I’d stay way north.

cbike
    Free Member

Near Govanhill park here – Good one bed flats still going for about £38 to £43000 Very good factors. Govanhill HA – all tenements reroofed in the late 80’s, improvements ongoing. shhh Don’t tell anybody.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lived on the edge of Queens Park for a while, nice placed

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I lived in shawlands for a while but am now moving north as soon as we can get our flat sold (currently in mosspark). For renting, shawlands is great. Look to hector road and surrounding area for peace and quiet and very spacious flats.

I’m going to be buying somewhere in Lenzie / Torrance area…quite good fun going up there to check places out!

Good luck
    D

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Glasgow – South Side – Opinons’ is closed to new replies.