Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • giving up the iPhone habit, anyone regretted it?!
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

I’ve had iPhones since the start and i’m now in a position where I have a new Samsung S7 Edge for my business and an iPhone 6s for myself. What was intended to be a way of keeping personal and business stuff separate just hasn’t worked at all and carrying two phones around is a pita.

So, my contract on my iPhone is nearing it’s end and i’m pondering just using the S7 and flogging my year old 6S 64Gb. I’ve given up on iTunes and on spotify these days so that was always my reason to stick with iPhones. I’ve got whatsapp so iMessage isn’t a hurdle.

I think the camera on the S7 is fantastic and blows the 6S out the water, but a part of me still wonders if i’ll regret getting rid of the 6S.

Anyone else done the swap from iOS to Android and got any advice, apart from stop being a nerdwomble….

trail_rat
    Free Member

i moved earlier this year when i realised i was really just using it for whatsapp and the internet – i do “most” of my calling from my shitty nokia c03 work phone.

ID stopped using Itunes and all my movies(i do alot of traveling) were on VLC…I no longer used apple TV as our internet at the new house cant handle it and because i didnt have music on my phone id stopped using the airport express……

So i bought a moto 3g for 140 quid and have not looked back.

Alphabet

I swapped from iOS to Android and didn’t die. YMMV 😆

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I swapped from iOS to Android and didn’t die. YMMV

dare I ask what YMMV means?!!

jamj1974

Your Mileage May Vary

trail_rat
    Free Member

your mobile may vapourise.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’ve done it quite a few times. Usually just after the new Galaxy model has come out. Always ended up back with an iphone once the novelty has worn off. (Pretty quickly)

bearnecessities

Your Mum Milks Vicars.

You gonna take that?

chrismac

Made the change 18 months ago and prefer it. Recently had to use my old iPhone again as I broke my phone and don’t like it now. Seems really clunky and not very helpful

CountZero

Spending many hours every day in cars, it amazes me that people are so keen to give up on having music stored locally on their phones, instead relying on streaming media, because during my travels across the South of England, from Norfolk to Cornwall, and into South Wales, the cellular phone networks are shit. I have to be able to update car movements via a phone link, and there are many times where there’s barely a phone signal strong enough to carry a phone conversation, with no data available for miles and miles.
    There’s no way whatsoever I would rely on something like Spotify, when I can carry gigabytes of my own music without having to rely on some fictional cellphone network.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve gone from Apple to Andriod and vice versa over the years, all the ‘huge’ differences in performance and features that seem so important on the internet aren’t really, it’s a bit maddening at first as they seem to do things differently for the sake of doing so but it only takes a little while to get used to it. Neither is perfect, sadly perfection for me would be a little of both, but they’ll never do it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CountZero, see also spending a long time on flights. No network for your music there! By way of illustration, during one week recently, I did 12hrs, 3.5hrs, 3.5hrs in to a 2hr stopover in to 13hrs.

No network connection to listen to Spotify/whatever. During that time, I was very happy with the massive memory card full of music on my personal phone. Work phone is an i, BTW. Travel with both, but using my work mobile to stream music overseas is a bit of a no no.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@Countzero with Apple Music you can chose to download media for any tracks you fancy, I do just that as I use it when I ride solo and there not always a signal. I’m sure the other providers do the same. You can also download maps and stuff for google maps – I’ve been looking at CarPlay and wondered how it dealt with signal loss.

johnnystorm

Another android convert here with an S7 Edge. Not going back anytime soon.

metalheart
    Free Member

I had an iPhone4. It cost £500. After 3 (or 4) years I needed a new phone. The choice was a new iPhone at min £550 or a Lumia 920 64Gb at £200. It lasted knocking on 2 years. So I bought another lumia (a 640) for £125. Which has a replaceable battery and storage. It does pretty much everything I need it to do and I’m not precious about having such an expensive item in my pocket. And I don’t have to use iTunes (boost!).

But I only really use it for email (linked to an outlook account it’s almost as fast as a blackberry but at least 10x faster than an apple), metoffice weather and occasional internet browsing. Oh and calling/texting, obv. Charge usually lasts me two days, three if I switch it off at night.

Camera isn’t brilliant but it’s good enough most of the time.

fisha
    Free Member

The reality is they are much of a muchness these days. I’ve been about 50/50 iPhone android over the years. I’d say that whenever i use an iPhone I’m impressed initially but the novelty wears off and I end up thinking that the android overall is that bit more flexible at meeting me needs.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

There’s no way whatsoever I would rely on something like Spotify, when I can carry gigabytes of my own music without having to rely on some fictional cellphone network.

Er you can cache your Spotify music on your phone to cover when mobile data gets unreliable

simon_g

There’s a big middle ground of stuff that both Android and iOS do well and in many ways they’re becoming more and more similar. You’re more likely than ever though to be using apps and services that are perfectly good on both. There’s also a lot of “stickiness” that keeps people on the same platform, whether that’s purchased apps or just the muscle memory of doing things on one platform or the other.

If you don’t make use of the iCloud stuff, don’t need to iMessage or Facetime anyone and don’t have a big investment in apps or Apple-integrated things (docks, Apple TV, etc) then it can all work pretty well on Android. Some things might even push you in that direction, like availability of dual SIM phones or microSD expandability.

Where Android is still lacking IMO is quality apps that aren’t tied to a service or subscription. When the app itself is the product, they tend to be first and better on iOS – things like games that aren’t just free-to-play (but spend on in-game currency, or are plastered with ads), or things like podcast apps (nothing out there to touch Overcast). Developers make good money on iOS os they target it first. Android is full of cheapskates and pirates so selling a decent app at a fair price is a much harder proposition. But there’s probably fewer people in general that care too much about apps in this category anyway.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Long time iphone user moved to s6 wouldn’t go back apple are a pain in the ass

Rockplough
    Free Member

Moved back to Android (S7 edge) recently after several iphones. Big differentiators for me are:

– expandability via microSD
    – being able to drag and drop media
    – being able to play said media
    – being able to customise the UI to better suit my needs
    – industry standard connectors

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Id admit I’m not a massive music person, I will generally flick between the radio and a few other things but it’s not that hard to get stuff on the phone. Been on 4 flights this week and just added some playlist to offline for what I was in the mood for and made sure my podcasts were up to date. The podcasts self destruct after playing so the space is kept free. But if you are the person who must have access to that version of that tune at a moments notice the anything other than carrying it all round probably doesn’t cut it, though you may be the exception rather than the rule.

stumpy01

CountZero – Member
    Spending many hours every day in cars, it amazes me that people are so keen to give up on having music stored locally on their phones, instead relying on streaming media

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    CountZero, see also spending a long time on flights. No network for your music there! By way of illustration, during one week recently, I did 12hrs, 3.5hrs, 3.5hrs in to a 2hr stopover in to 13hrs.

No network connection to listen to Spotify/whatever. During that time, I was very happy with the massive memory card full of music on my personal phone.

But Spotify let’s you download any music/playlists you want to the device. So you can have as much music on your device as you want, and stream other stuff when in a network/wireless area anyway…

jam-bo

128gb iPhone and offline Spotify playlists mean I can listen to as much as I like offline. I can even download a new album or playlist in the airport before getting on said flight…

It’s the future, I tell you…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘giving up the iPhone habit, anyone regretted it?!’ is closed to new replies.