Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • giving up the fags tomorrow
  • aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

after a pic was taken of me the other week and I looked like i had swallowed a mountain (that and the interview with Lance Armstrong on the daily show putting all us unfit types to shame) I've decided to start taking better care of myself

out go the fags from tomorrow, on comes the exercise. think a bike ride will help blow the nicotine out of me a bit and take my mind off not smoking??

of course the whole cancer thing puts the sh!tters up me too 😯

walla24
    Free Member

good on you buddy!
    good luck, ride ur bike as much as possible will take your mind of it 😀

MikeWW
    Free Member

Good luck
    Quit 2 and half years ago now
    Feel a lot better for it

markfu
    Free Member

Good luck, it will be one of the best decisions you ever make.

robgarrioch

I'm hoping to join you in the ex-smokers club early next year, hesitate to call it a resolution, but been smoking for over half my life now & the C word is panicking me too. Figure I'd 'save' approx. £900 a year, about time for that Soul build I've been fancying 🙂
    Good luck.

fluided
    Free Member

go for it you won't regret it i have been off the fags for 12 days the real test was my birthday last week out to the pub with friends who all smoke so really glad i got through that.

sc-xc

robgarrioch – Member

I'm hoping to join you in the ex-smokers club early next year

for a start…change your language to something a bit more positive! You will be a non somoker whenever you choose to be!

Good luck to you both, I did it a few years ago (along with giving up meat, taking regular exercise, learning a new sport…lost 3 stone, am in the best shape of my life – and am hopefully going to be around for a while to see my kids grow up.

If the time's right, you'll do it no probs. Good on you.

warton
    Free Member

I'm cigarette free for about 4 months now, maybe a bit less. I really struggled with drinking and not smoking (I spent the last 5 or 6 years only smoking when drinking) but I think I've cracked it now…Keep strong and you'll do it!

BlingBling
    Free Member

Remeber when you lapse, and you will, dont think "oh well I've failed now might as well buy a pack and carry on smoking" you need to think "I tell you what, smoking one or two tonight and none for the last few days is still a lot better than 20 a day".

With that attitude you will succeed.

I still smoke now and again (I enjoy it. Sorry) especially on holiday and sometimes at special occasions but as soon as I'm back I stop.

Don't crucify yourself for sneaking a cheaky tab, remeber that.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Almost 10 years ciggie free for me, in that time I held the hand of my dad for the last time as he died from a smoking relate cancer.

Good luck fella, it's worth the struggle.

tomsk01
    Free Member

I quit about 3 weeks ago, first few days I was pretty grouchy, but getting out riding really does show you how bad for you smoking is, think you'll find those hills dont seem quite so steep after a few weeks of not smoking!

Strangelove
    Free Member

Good luck
    5 1/2 years for me. It took a couple of attempts, as BlingBling said if you do lapse just try again.
    The best advice i got was to take up jogging or cycling. As the weeks past I very quickly noticed the improvement in my fitness and this kept me motivated.

carlphillips
    Free Member

if you need any help then mail sponging machine off of here, he helps people quitting fags for a living and would be a good source of knowledge about all things as disgusting as the evil weed.

good on yer for giving it up, nowadays i look at people paying enormous amounts of money to breathe in smoke and then blow it out again as stupid morons and can't believe i used to do it, its just plain dumb.

starseven
    Free Member

First two days are the hardest, then six months
    Do it one hour at a time.
    Keep busy.
    Go to bed early.
    Reward yourself.

remember, non smokers have better erections.

john_drummer
    Free Member

why wait until tomorrow?

12 years since I gave up, haven't missed it a bit

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Best of luck, four years ago for me. It was my third attempt but no-one had forced me into the last time, just did it on my own. Cycling certainly became a lot easier afterwards, still struggle with the weight thing though.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

aslongasithaswheels – I'm going to join you.

I smoked for years then gave up but ended up doing the "I only smoke when I drink" thing. For ages I have wanted to kick it into touch.

And so I shall…..

Keep me posted on how you're getting on please.

Cheers

corroded
    Free Member

Good luck all. Been there, done that – and it is do-able. Within a week or two you'll notice your sense of taste come back so treat yourself with all the money you've saved. It'll take a bit longer for the fitness benefits to come, but I was amazed when exercise seemed increasingly effortless. It's basically a win-win-win situation.

Merak

Dont do it. Theres nowt wrong with the snout. Tabs are ace! Worst move I ever made giving them up, really, stick with it and knock it into people on the bike who dont smoke you cant beat that.

Surfr
    Free Member

Personally I disagree with BlingBling. I think you need to crucify yourself if you lapse, even for a drag. I found that taking a completely negative view of smoking helped. Just walking down the high street I hold my breath now when somebody is smoking around me. I have built myself up to absolutely detest the smell. I attempted to give up many times and often faltered then worked my way back up to 20 a day. The last time I gave up, I did exactly that. I stopped dead in my tracks and went from 20 a day to nothing. I've not so much as touched a cigarette in about 18 months now and I feel immensely better for it. I feel guilty if I DREAM about having had a cheeky cigarette, which does happen from time to time (the dreams, that is).

Best of luck, the first week 48 hours are the worst (chemical addiction). It quickly gets easier from then in (habbit).

Ti29er
    Free Member

Smoking's very socio-economic.
    There are, of course exceptions, but it's typically the domain of the less well educated, less affluent, less aspirational.
    There many other factors, but you only need read the stats over the years to get a very clear picture of who smokes, what income bracket, what level of education etc etc.
    It makes for quite depressing reading really.

However, I'm not sure announcing it to the forum is wise if it's thus far only an aim. Only time will tell, so I wish you well.

Everyone I know who has been told to quit by their GP's did so that day. For those of us who have never done tobacco – we simply have neither sympathy nor any patience with the filth. It's a life-style choice and much like sun burn, don't bother us when it all goes tits up – you've been told for years about it, so you pays your money and you spins that barrel.

Russian Roulette has never cost the Human Race so much pain and heart-ache and death as tobacco.
    http://www.ash.org.uk/

Ti29er
    Free Member

PS – Statistically, in the UK, 50% of all tobacco is consumed by people with mental health issues.

Del

+1 for surfr.
    you're either a smoker, or you're not.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Go for it. "I'm unstoppable!" That worked for me.

What tipped me over was my closest cousin who shared my birthday with but was 3 years younger than me, died a few years back. He was 36. C started in his lungs then spread to his spine. Last days were fubar beyond recognition. I still miss smoking but those last days are a horrific image in my mind.

Bizzarly – shortly after he passed on – I bought my first mtb (I still dont know why?) since I was 16. Now Im addicted to somehthing else – more exepensive more addictive (more dangerous?) but life expectancy is slightly better 🙂

My only advice – find others wanting to quit – especially guys. Talk it through with them. I think NHS do this but its better if you know them.

Also, as you're on a cycling site – your ability to climb will increase exponentaiiy! Honestly – a smoker on a £10,000 carbon trendy cult whatis bike will never ever EVER get up a hill as quick as me as on a post bike. With a camel in the front basket. And a sink dragging off the back. And the draggiest tyres in the world. And a ships anchor ….

As you can tell – I'm probably willing to help / encourage. If you need a challenge (and can supply the camel) I'm up for it.

BTW my crutch thru all of this was a very expensive humidor full of cigars that now I will never smoke. We all need some sort of escape / crutch.

Ronan

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

wow Ti29er, i didn't realise that being a non smoker could make you sanctimonious but i'll try to keep that in check, thanks for the heads up.

I like most people didn't take up smoking due to mental health issues, socio-economic circumstances or lack of aspiration…….really i just started smoking because i wanted to look cooler while wearing sunglasses and firing my 9mm handgun, 20 Marlboro seemed to be the answer

I'm going to give it a go and i'm sure i will fail, it's a human flaw but **** it and we'll see what happens

Swalsey
    Free Member

Very smart and considerate for your loved ones – be strong!!!

Ti29er
    Free Member

aslong – your reasons for quitting seem perfectly aspirational.
    I'm merely spelling out to you some cold hard facts and how non-smokers see smokers – like it or not non-smokers revile the drugs smokers use.

Why you stated is your own business. Let's see if you have the courage of your convictions as I have to tell you, statistically you'll fail. Fact.

Maybe by being the Devil's Advocate this evening it'll make the thread less sugar-coated, doing away with some of the hand shaking and back-slapping and maybe, just maybe make it a little more real.

I wish you the best in your quest – certainly the bike riding will go a long way to making this ambition more achievable & ultimately only you can do this on your own, so good luck and let us know in 1 year how you managed.

PS – When I gave up alcohol this year it was so very simple. A decision. Done. & so moving on with other things…. Yes. That simple, and I wasn't even surprised nor did I announce it to anyone. I just stopped.

lister-hooded
    Free Member

Good luck, but make sure you do it for yourself and no one else..

I gave up about 16 years ago and still manage to stay stopped 1 day at a time .. that's all you need to do … give them up 1 day at a time, or if that gets too hard try 1 hour at a time…

IMHO, it does get easier, but it's never easy

Strangelove
    Free Member

I feel guilty if I DREAM about having had a cheeky cigarette

I've done that, I dreamt i had a cigarette and felt very ashamed with myself when i woke up before i realised it was just a dream.
    I remember getting my sense of smell back was one of the first noticeable moments, after two weeks I smelt an orange for the first time in 15 years

samuri
    Free Member

Good luck. I gave up in July and it was the best thing I've ever done.

Ride, a lot! You'll get better so fast now you're not smoking you'll keep wanting to go out and do it again. Cycling is what got me through it. There are the odd times that I still want a fag, usually when I've been drinking but really, I'm so pleased with myself.

Edit: And really, if you've not smoked you can't understand the maddening drive it holds over you. I know people who have have shown the strength to get off Heroin, but still can't pack in smoking.

deserter
    Free Member

I'm coming up for 2 years now,had tried a few times,tried inhalers and patches,when it came down to it this time though I just accepted I would have cravings and told myself 'your not **** havin one and thats it'

bought a new bike after a week,again after a month,and again after a year,just about to buy myself my 2 year present 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Good luck.

4 months non smoking now after 30 yrs smoking – I am getting faster on the bike if also getting fatter. You willput on weight but you will lose it again – dojn't worry about that. Just enjoy being able to get up hills without sounding like a steam train huffing and puffing.

thejesmonddingo

I stopped in July after 40 years,not easy,but stll taking it a day at a time,found the smoking ban helps,as I liked a fag while drinking,good luck.
    Ian
    P.S. Ignore the sanctimonious pillocks who think that because they have never had a problem,noone else should ever have one either.

Kahurangi

Congratulations on your new life as a non-smoker!

There's loads of people on here who are with you so keep it up! 😛

RichPenny
    Free Member

P.S. Ignore the sanctimonious pillocks

+1

You do need to know that quitting smoking (not giving up, because smoking is not a good thing!) is EASY. The human brain is the most powerful thing on the planet. All yours needs to do is realise that every time you want a fag it's just a habitual response to a certain situation. See the truth in that, and the desire will ebb away.

And +1000 for the guy saying that the odd fag does not equal failure. I tried to quit for about 5 years, and every time it was this that did for me. Now at the stage I want to be at, where I can share the odd joint with a mate and it's not a big deal.

Coyote
    Free Member

Remeber when you lapse, and you will,

Not true. I gave up nearly five years ago. I set a date and then as of midnight that day I stopped. It was bloody hard. I don't mind admitting that but to say that you *will* lapse is rubbish. If you really want to stop you will, simples.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am of the absolutist tendency as to not lapsing at all. Previously I stopped for months – one weekend with a few fags and I was back smoking full time.

I believe that some folk have a much stronger physical addiction than others. After 4 months without fags I am only just able to go 12 hrs without NRT – just about ready to give that up as well.

I am sure I have cracked it this time however.

Be strong!

RichPenny
    Free Member

I am only just able to go 12 hrs without NRT

Come on now, that's just a crutch. The nicotine addiction is not the real problem, it's the lightbulb in your brain that says "I need a fag" when you've had a meal, during a walk, with a coffee. Recognise that link, and you're most of the way there.

one weekend with a few fags and I was back smoking full time.

Dammit, YOU made the choice to start smoking again! I had the same choice to make this september after 3 days caning it at a music festival. It is a choice you have to make though.

Sorry if this is a bit ranty, but you sound exactly like I did when I was struggling to quit. The mind is a complex thing, I think yours is looking for a getout clause. The absolutist thing is dangerous because it gives you an angle you can use when feeling low or weak to get back to smoking, which is self destructive. EVERY time you think about smoking, you can act on that habit or not. Most of your concious mind wants you to avoid smoking, just make sure that wins the battle!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

So how are you getting on then?

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

see: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/feel-a-bit-wonky

other than that i've nohad one and don't feel like one either

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘giving up the fags tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.