• This topic has 78 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by paton.
Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Giving up sugar.
  • zilog6128

Leftovers from whatever I’d cooked the night before (or earlier & stuck in the freezer)

mikey74
    Free Member

What if you don’t cook the type of things that have leftovers?

zilog6128

Cook something different.

mikey74
    Free Member

The one thing that there should be less of in this world is probably my cooking :mrgreen:

corroded
    Free Member

I’ve always thought that ‘cutting down’ was a more sustainable strategy than ‘giving up’. By all means break the habit’s back with a month’s fast but in the long run you’ll need to limit yourself to X amount of sugar/booze/crack per month.

gerti
    Free Member

I’m with corroded. Each to their own and whatever works obvs. But for me, cutting down works better than cutting out. Good luck with ditching the sugar 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

If you gave up sugar entirely you’d die, but then it would be near impossible to not consume something that has natural sugars or carbs “that sugar”.

Moderation though. Since fairly young I just stopped adding sugar to tea, coffee, cereals etc, and I don’t have much of a taste for sweets, rarely eat puddings. I still get sugars through fruit, various carbs (bread is a high source, even with no sugar added). Can’t stand sugary drinks usually except pure fruit juices (which are very high in natural sugar admittedly).

However beer and wine is the replacement, and alcohol comes from fermented sugars, so that’ll be why I can never shift the belly 😉

p.s. I wouldn’t replace sugars with sweeteners, including “diet” drinks. They’re a pile of nasty also and besides are still sweet so may not help reduce the desire for sugary things.

Careful with coffee from coffee shops also. Some ask if you want sugar. They may be asking if you want *extra* sugar. Milky drinks like lattes are frequently crammed with sugar or syrup anyway.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

So, what would one have as a packed lunch on a no sugar diet?

I’ll be making batches of burgers, scotch eggs and some other savoury snacks, in the past I’ve tried a paleoish diet. I still have the books and there are loads of sugar and carb free ideas.( Fitter food books, very tasty recipes).

corroded, that’s pretty much what I hope to do, break the cycle over a month and then find something that’s sustainable. That’s what happened in January with booze and I’m happy with the way I turned out.

deadkenny, I gave up coffee and carbonated drinks(mostly) a while ago. Pretty much water, green tea and sparkling water with some diluting juice now and again.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What about the rolls with square sausage?

corroded
    Free Member

break the cycle over a month and then find something that’s sustainable. That’s what happened in January with booze and I’m happy with the way I turned out

Sounds fair. Been there, done that. I’d add that the more stuff you make yourself the better. There’s a lot of hidden sugar. Mix your own breakfast cereal. Add fruit for interest. Make your own bread / lunch. No pre-made curries / Chinese for supper (full of sugar). It’s definitely do-able.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Gave up sugar, white bread, rice and pasta in April/May this year. Only eat wholemeal brown bread, brown rice and whole grain pasta. Don’t eat any product with added sugar so no cakes,biscuits or puddings. Cut my carbs down to a third of what I used to eat. Eat a lot more veg, meat and fish. Pudding now consists of greek yogurt with a bit of chopped fruit mainly. Struggled for the first 8 weeks. After that the weight just fell off lost about 2 kilos a week at one point. Im leaner and fitter than I was in my 30’s now 46. You have to really increase your good fats intake so plenty of nuts and seeds, full fat no added sugar yogurt, butter, olive oil etc. Oily fish is a good snack food.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m just too lazy, I get home from work and 90% of the time can’t be arsed to do anything but microwave a ready meal. I do buy fresh ingredients but often end up throwing them out 🙁

philjunior
    Free Member

My brother was setting faster lap times in a pairs race a month or two back – for the first time ever.

I’ve vastly cut back on sugary stuff. I still allow myself puddings, but no piles of biscuits on my desk to graze on, and so I have to go for lower GI snacks and fruit. I hope I can keep it up until next year. I don’t think I’m going to lose any more weight because of it, but I’ve already lost about 3-4kg, which should be enough to close the lap time gap on him.

thomthumb
    Free Member

HFCS…but it’s relatively rare in the UK

I’m not so sure i see it on the ingredients list of a lot of foods, particularly condiments. Brown sauce, burger sauce.

normally labelled as glucose fructose syrup

trickydisco
    Free Member

If you gave up sugar entirely you’d die,

what a load of tosh. Carbohydrate is the only non essential nutrient.

I think the confusion comes about that the brain can’t survive without glucose but then that can be produced in the body by protein or fat (gluconeogenesis)

YoKaiser
    Free Member

10 days in and its been tough. I can now see how many times I was reaching for a sugary snack and it was a lot! I’ve been cycling a bit too and the legs have been feeling dead, yesterday was probably the best day. I have lost a couple of kilos so far so thats a bonus.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Your metabolism has to learn to rely on the fat in your diet to convert it to energy rather than carbs. It took me about 8 weeks to get used to this. First 4 or 5 miles for me is generally crap then all of a sudden I feel great and can just keep going for hrs, weird! It does get easier. Peanut butter is your cycling friend. I tend to have this on Nairns Super Seeded oatcakes. Whole earth 3 nut butter is very good and no added sugar in either of these.

welshfarmer

rather than the gels I have been buying the organic baby food pouches made with nothing more than stewed fruit. About half as calorie-dense as the gels but the pouches are just as handy to drink on the go, taste much better, and you know you are only fuelling yourself with proper food and not some sort of chemical sludge.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I have found Grenade Carb Killa high protein bars with only 1.4g of naturally occurring sugars. For a 60g bar that’s not bad. They are a bit dear though.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Really though once your body stops using carbs for energy it can fuel itself from your body fat. What did our ancient ancestors do for energy when hunting? Grab a sandwich or a gel! Your body needs carbs because it is used to getting them for energy rather than metabolising your body fat for energy.

skids
    Free Member

I don’t know how you can give up sugar, it’s in everything

jonba
    Free Member

http://xkcd.com/1744/

Seemed pertinent

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Nice erm, oh, er, baked goods? (Dammit – can’t think of a suitable innuendo!)

I think baps is the word you’re looking for.

Solo
    Free Member

trickydisco – Member

“If you gave up sugar entirely you’d die,”

what a load of tosh. Carbohydrate is the only non essential nutrient.

I think the confusion comes about that the brain can’t survive without glucose but then that can be produced in the body by protein or fat (gluconeogenesis)

Quite possibly one of my all time top 3 posts I’ve ever read on this forum!
    😀

Furthermore, the brain can and will “function” on ketones.

Further, furthermore, more endurance athletes are now looking into the benefits and advantages of training, ketogenically.

For endurance sports, the future’s bright, the future is fat!
    Enjoy.
    😉

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I read at the weekend that Joe Friel also has a low carb high fat diet.

Solo
    Free Member

YoKaiser – Member
    I read at the weekend that Joe Friel also has a low carb high fat diet.

While I’m unsure who you’re referring to. I’d suggest the phrase “low carb” is the “Significant[/i]” part of the message.

I’ve seen reports of ultra runners training their bodies to derive as much as 96% of their energy expenditure from fat.

When one considers the competitive advantages of maximizing fat burn during an endurance event. It’s 100% a goal.

Consider, storing fat brings the most weight efficient method of energy storage.
    While storing carbs also requires storing water, which increases body weight. Which in-turn is a bad thing for endurance athletes.

Utilizing and maximizing fat storage and useage during an endurance event, is the future. While carbs are still required, they will not be the mainstay, in future endurance event competition.
    Rather how well adapted an athlete is to utilizing fat stores, will be a determining factor, imo.

rascal
    Free Member

Used to have one sugar in tea and coffee…gave up putting sugar in hot drinks at the beginning of the year.
    Weird at first but you soon get used it to. Don’t really do sweet/chocs/cakes as savoury as more my weakness…then again most stuff is piled full of shite that’s no good to you (including sugar).

nedrapier

All very interesting, thanks all!

I clicked on this after starting another attempt last week at cutting cakes, biscuits, cookies – I can get stuck into a binge if there’s no-one watching. The subsequent peaks and troughs don’t do my concentration any favours at work.

I’ve always been interested (but not enough!) about training to burn fat not carbs during long efforts. I’m quite fit, and with the right food, I’m quite happy going for very long rides. If I’m riding relatively hard, my energy levels will fall off a cliff at 1.5 hours, and I’ll need something to eat.

My wife’s just started a low carb diet for different reasons, and she’s already saying how much “smoother” her energy and moods are. Thinking as typed above, her need for food on a ride is more acute than mine.

Could anyone recommend some good reads on this style of low-carb diet/nutrition for exercise both before exercise and during – as above, gels aren’t it. Maybe a nice saucisson hanging from the bars and a opinel on the belt?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

ned, I’ve tried this before and had fair success, admittedly it didn’t last though. But I used a book from the Fitter Food guys, there is also a second book out now. The general take on it is mostly paleo with some concessions and not a super strict adherence. So bit easier to live with. They have a load of podcasts which will give you an idea as well as Facebook and a website. Ideally I’ll get back into it but one bridge at a time, there was quite a lot of food prep which was my downfall, convenience food snuck back in.

coconut
    Free Member

I cut sugar out but use a bit of honey in coffee and tea, sounds strange but works well.Bit of honey in porridge in the mornings. Give up fruit juices and cordials as there packed with too much natural fruit sugars. I see no issues with rice and pasta, just cut out gels and energy bars. You soon realise the massive amounts of sugar out there!

Inbred456
    Free Member

A work colleague of mine is a fell runner and all round endurance event nutcase. He will recce an event and hide snacks around the course. One of his mainstays are cans of mackerel fillets. Protein being key with a bit of fat. Fat is the key here, it’s easier to store. You can only store and convert so much carbohydrate. Paleo type diets make interesting reading. It’s not for me solely but some aspects I would consider and have included in my diet.

kudos100
    Free Member

I cut out sugar completely about 7 years ago. I got pretty bad withdrawals, as I wasn’t even eating fruit. Sugar is a drug just like caffeine or any other.

My diet was basically, rice, vegetables, eggs, meat and nuts. Zero sugar

After a few months of this, I could bite into a lemon and taste the sweetness 😯

My health improved and I started introducing fruit back into my diet, and the extreme sensitivity to sugar went away.

I’ve now gone back to eating minimal sugar, after having a bit of a relapse of sweet tooth and feel better and have less bodyfat.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

So I managed the month without sugar or at least big sugar food foodstuffs. No cakes, biscuits, puddings, sweets, sugary cereals, a moderate amount of fruit etc. First week or so I had headaches and feeling tired,but by the end of week two I was a good bit more chipper. Cravings have passed too. As expected I’m feeling my energy levels are less erratic and I’d generally say I feel more engergised. I’ll weigh in tomorrow but I reckon I’ve lost 3-4kg which considering the month isn’t bad( probably the least cycling/exercise I’ve done this year).

What has happened though is quite a dramatic change in my taste buds! I tried a black coffee(after reading about the health benefits) one day as the kids were having some ice cream and I loved it. Normally a black coffee would have been way too bitter and pretty undrinkable but I was totally taken by it. I also had a malt whisky which in the past would have been wasted on me and also thoroughly enjoyed it.

So off the sugar and back on the booze and caffeine 😆 (not really the booze, twas one night away with the wife) I have taken to the coffee though.

hora
    Free Member

You may find what I did- have jelly babies mid ride or a piece of cake and you get a massive suger spike. I can’t eat sugar on an empty stomach now

zilog6128

What has happened though is quite a dramatic change in my taste buds!

Yeah, happened to me too! A lot of people I know with a very sweet tooth don’t like the strong flavours of “proper” food.

dynastar
    Free Member

Been trying to stay off sugar now for some time – or at least minimising it where ever possible. Another thing to try is large tablespoon full of organic cocunut oil and mix with near boiling water and lemon. Acts as a natural anti-biotic killing sugar/yeast overgrowth. Huge difference in weight and endurance in the gym.

Took some time to convince me but now try and get in daily.

MrSmith
    Free Member

A work colleague of mine is a fell runner and all round endurance event nutcase. He will recce an event and hide snacks around the course. One of his mainstays are cans of mackerel fillets. Protein being key with a bit of fat. Fat is the key here, it’s easier to store

sorry but i have to ask, what does he do with the can afterwards? take a jogging detour to the recycling centre?

cheers_drive

So I’ve had virtually no added and processed sugar this week, also no alcohol but that wasn’t really the issue. The plan isn’t to quit either just get sugar consumption back to sensible levels. I’ve always had a sweet tooth but I controlled this by not having sweets, cake, chocolate in the house but since my wife got nearly pregnant nearly 2 years ago and now whilst she’s breast feeding she developed huge sugar cravings and always has ‘treats’ in the house, this combined with the fact I work from home means that I was consuming about 500-1000 calories a day in sugary snacks, shocking. This is the contents of our ‘treats’ cupboard 😐 :
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/P6FRn3]'treats'[/url] by Rob Johnson, on Flickr

All week I’ve avoided that and whilst my wife had stuffed her face, I’ve been snaking on fruit, nuts and dried fruit instead, hardly low calorie but I’ve still lost over 1kg and thats’s with no exercise. I was feeling much better too, clearer headed and more alert.
    Hope to continue it for a few more weeks before returning to dark chocolate, home baked cakes, and maybe restaurant desserts. The real challenge will be Christmas with the Danish inlaws who will roll out several kilos of Haribo and other sweets.

Keep up the good work everyone!

paton
    Free Member

The Truth About Sugar BBC

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONXNKacNU_4[/video]

HFCS High Fructose Corn Syrup is just another type of refined sugar, probably no worse and no better than any other type of added/ free sugar or refined sugar.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/high-fructose-corn-syrup-vs-sugar/2013/06/18/fdbedb90-c488-11e2-914f-a7aba60512a7_story.html

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Giving up sugar.’ is closed to new replies.