Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Giving up ale for a month :-(
  • chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Drink far too much so giving it a miss for a month, to start! Not going to change eating or exercise habits, just going to see how much I lose simply from not drinking any alcohol.

Weigh exactly 16 stone at the moment 🙁 am reckoning I’ll lose half a stone?

Anyone else tried this with success?

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Managed two days last week, which I thought was a good effort

I know of someone who gave up drinking beer but replaced it with coke, ginger beer etc… surprisingly giving up the booze didn’t have the weight loss effect that they were after 🙂

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Two days – good effort mate!! That takes me to Tuesday, which is cricket training with a few beers with the lads after! We’ll see!

hmanchester
    Free Member

Get your psychology right.

You’re not giving up for a month – you are choosing not to drink because of reasons X, Y, and Z. Write the reasons down and refer to them when you think you want a drink.

druidh
    Free Member

If you can’t do without alcohol for 4 weeks you are already an alcoholic and should consider professional help.

stratobiker
    Free Member

If you can’t do without alcohol for 4 weeks you are already an alcoholic and should consider professional help.

Oh Shit!!!
    SB 😉

willard

Had a couple of glasses of wine last night, but that was the second time I’ve had alcohol in the last month. Once you start not drinking, it’s easy to carry on. Just make it easy on yourself and avoid hanging around with people that drink.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Good advice Willard – only thing is it means I won’t be able to see the other half, no comment!

“If you can’t do without alcohol for 4 weeks you are already an alcoholic and should consider professional help” – oh, bollocks!

Cougar

I gave up ale for a month.

Not consecutively, obviously.

DT78
    Free Member

Currently on a break from any form of calorific drink. 2 weeks in, plan to make it 5 then have a stag do ( could be very very messy)

It’s not as hard as I thought, worse day was visiting 2 pubs in one day and only drinking tap water.

Weight is dropping off at the moment, dropped from 13st 1lb to 12st 9lb in that time. I’m also solely riding the new road bike and following a rough idave though…

CaptJon
    Free Member

willard – Member
    Had a couple of glasses of wine last night, but that was the second time I’ve had alcohol in the last month. Once you start not drinking, it’s easy to carry on. Just make it easy on yourself and avoid hanging around with people that drink don’t understand not wanting to drink.

yossarian
    Free Member

I like periods of drinking loads. But then I like periods of not drinking too.

Remember : all generalisations are dangerous, especially this one.

loddrik
    Free Member

Utterly pathetic that it’s such a big deal to stop drinking alcohol for a month. Get a grip, seriously…

will1
    Free Member

You will never manage it!!

Edric64
    Free Member

God im finding it hard enough to stop drinking Monday to Friday .Im drinking Saturday and Sundays only at the moment .The trouble is I love real ale to much.

Janesy
    Free Member

Loddrick has a point. I used to drink ALOT when I was 20-25 now 30 and fit as a fiddle. Lost a lot of weight.
    It’s not difficult…

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Janesy – can’t comment about Loddrik on the point that he is a total arse, in my opinion.

Why did you stop drinking? Have you stopped totally now, and is that why you are as ‘fit as a fiddle’?

cynic-al
    Free Member

What about if you are fitter than a fiddle and still drink “too much”?

Anyway, day 1 off the ale going great here, am enjoying some white wine :mrgreen:

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve just started an alcohol sabbatical, I’m on day thirteen today. I’ve not changed my diet (indeed I’ve probably eaten a teeny bit more than usual) and I’m exercising the same as usual – five times a week.

I’ve lost about 1/3rd of a stone already…the handles have disappeared and I’ve got some muscle definition showing on my midriff.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I didn’t drink for a month last year. To make sure I could, I suppose. The first Friday night felt strange. I did miss having my mid-ride pint a little. But it was easy. Make your mind up and do it, you’ll be fine.

colournoise

Haven’t had any booze since mid-May now. Little potential health scare suggested I give it up at least until I got things checked out. Got the all clear last week but haven’t really missed it enough to mop up the few ciders still in the fridge since then.

Half a mind to leave it for good now.

Not sure about weight loss (don’t own any scales) but seem to be dropping inches – belt has gone in notch or two and my Sombrio shorts are now in need of replacement by a smaller pair.

slainte 😀 rob

Janesy
    Free Member

I drank larger at that age and wanted a life style change.
    I may have probably 3 pints per week tops. I just Don’t feel the ‘need’ to drink. I fill my time with other priorities.

Such as cycling.

I was 15 stone, stopped drinking and now 11.5stone. I think around 13.5% body fat. I ride 150-200 miles a week and other fitness stuff.

I think stopping drinking was the catalyst for the change in the last 5 years. I’m now 30.

Cynical al – you can’t be as fit as you could be with alcohol. Just my opinion.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Good on yer Janesy. You’ve got ten years on me but I think I could take a leaf out of your book 😆

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I have cut down on my ale intake as I measured my belly and it was 40″ 😯 after three weeks I got it down to 35 then after a few more ales than I should of over a few weeks I put another couple of inches on, so with me alcohol is the main culprit for putting on weight around my middle.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Almost a couple of years for me since I last had a drink.

Really don’t miss it at all; so many benefits from not drinking.

Weight loss took a bit of time but I’m in as good shape now as I was 15 years ago.

loddrik
    Free Member

Janesy – can’t comment about Loddrik on the point that he is a total arse, in my opinion.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Last drink for me for a week tonight, start 7 nights tomorrow & won’t even think about alcohol until next Monday night. I then have 6 days off then do another set of nights. Might try & stay off the sauce for 3 or 4 weeks!
    One guy I know at work has a couple of cans when he gets in from work on a morning!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Been on the wagon since 1st March, business socials are the hardest for me – long day at an exhibition and everyone grabs a beer. I found it easier to tell everyone I was stopping, no timescales, takes them a while but soon they just start bringing you juice.

To stop hitting the red wine in an evening, I subbed it for cranberry juice but in a wine glass.

Lost a couple of pounds and think I feel fitter – Good luck

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I had a month off last January, then jan feb and march this year. Felt great, but I don’t know if I could actually give up? I didn’t actually lose much weight, but that wasn’t the aim.

stany
    Free Member

Have given up the bottle a couple of times for Lent (religious girlfriend, no other reason) and yes, the benefits are amazing. After about 3 weeks detox! Weight loss, feel brighter and fitter, increased appetite. My problem is, I like beer.
    I’m now nearly 40, juggle a drink and bike pleasure, and feel the fittest I ever have in my life (since late teens)
    Biggest problem with not drinking? Feeling like an alien in the pub! Simple as that….

cfinnimore
    Free Member

alpin
    Free Member

i’ve tried drinking less, but i am weak. feierabend bier (after-work beer) is a given here in germany. i’ve got two beers left of a 20 bottle case that i bought on thursday this week. had four beers already tonight. six yesterday and i’m not due how many the nicht before that.

i could stop, but i then need something to replace it with. i could drink orange juice or watered-down apple juice but then i’ll be shitting buckets.

the GF doesn’t often drink and when she does she’ll have a couple of beers or three or shandies and then stop. odd, seeing as she is bavarian….

i used not be able to go a day with somking a “J”… i’ve not had an urge to smoke in quite some time, but if i had someting to smoke i would drink so much…..

catch 22.

alpin
    Free Member

One guy I know at work has a couple of cans when he gets in from work on a morning!

six of us finished work at 4:45 on monday and cleaned off a crate before going home…. ❓

druidh
    Free Member

chris – let me know when you’ve stopped editing your post

chipsngravy
    Free Member

LOL at any suggestion that you’re an alcoholic if you can’t go a month without a drink. Try giving up masturbating, the car, TV, the web, STW, bread, riding, wearing women’s underwear, being miserable. Would it be any easier than giving up booze? I doubt it.

Moderation.

druidh
    Free Member

In denial eh?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Post edited DruidH, tippety-tapping on dial-up decade old Highland technology. Best start again.

I’m new to your opinion that if abstinence can’t be maintained, then addiction is the cause.

Can you explain further?

irc

What about not wanting to do without? As in most things moderation is what matters. I doubt I’ve gone more than a couple of days without a drink in the last 35 years. Only been drunk once in the last year though.

Cutting out my chocolate and cheese habits and riding my bike every day is enough to drop my weight at the rate of two stones in two months or so while still enjoying a couple of beers most nights.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

six of us finished work at 4:45 on monday and cleaned off a crate before going home….

Excellent! Can I join in??

solarpowered
    Free Member

you can do it……if you WANT to!! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Giving up ale for a month :-(’ is closed to new replies.