• This topic has 26 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Giving people injections.
  • zippykona

When my sister left the raf (where she was a wing commander and ferried injured servicemen home) and joined a doctor’s surgery she had to go on a giving injections course.
    My mother in law (former hairdresser,80 and poor eyesight)has been told that she has to administer injections to my father in law who has just had a heart by pass.
    This doesn’t seem credible to me. Hopefully she has misunderstood and a proper mepically person will pop by to do it.
    Is this normal practice?

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

My dad who is 75 had to administer his own anti clotting meds but that was an injection to the abdomen so I don’t suppose accuracy was paramount. It did seem a bit extreme though but he’s a tough old boot. Maybe it’s a similar situation but I’m sure they could request a home visit.

crankboy
    Free Member

Depends on the injection crankygirl had to inject herself for fertility treatment but I think only had to stick it into muscle not a vein.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Is it a blood clotting prevention drug?

I had daily Delteparin injections, as far as I can tell the nurses were just trying to stick them in the least sore bit I had, the area around the injection does get quite sore after a few weeks of them. I was having them in either the tops of my arms or in my stomach.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Us Type 1 diabetics seem to cope with it quite well….

It’ll just be jab a needle in a general area and squirt the meds in. Simple.

Alphabet

Not exactly the same I know but I inject my sheep a couple of times a year without any training or guidance. After the first couple of times it gets easier and I’m sure I could inject a person if required.

However I’m not in my 80s and have good eye sight.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Self injection of blood thinning stuff is very common. I had to jag my wife for 7 days after her c section.

northshoreniall

Not sure if it is same thing but it is now compulsory to attend annual immunisation training so could be that? Is nationwide requirement unfortunately , just done mine recently despite giving injections being exactly the same for past 18yrs.

Drac

Fairly normal. Someone will show her what to do and make sure she understands.

sandwicheater

I had to administer a week if injections to my wife after the birth of sandwichconsumer jnr. Was just in the abdomen but it scared the crap out of me. Two minute instruction by the nurse and away you go fella, get stabbing.

First injection caused a great deal of bruising (think Pulp fiction stab in the chest scene kind of force) but I got better by the end of the week.

zippykona

Shit,as sole person who has stood up and responded to the less favourable aspects of his condition it looks like I will be doing it.
    Tons and tons of advice please.
    Ps it is a blood thinning drug.

DrP

Just listen to the advice the nurse gives when you/they first administer it, and repeat it each time.
    The process isn’t hard, but I can understand the ‘idea’ is discomforting.

All the best

DrP

skiprat
    Free Member

Mrs skip needed to have injections. Shes a nurse and used to giving them to other people but not herself. I ended up giving her the injections.

Its strange at first as i had no idea how strong skin is when trying to push a pin into it. I found it easier to take it slow and to be methodical. Lay all the bits you need out and tidy up as you go along. Be firm and don’t shake, you want to go straight in rather than dragging a needle over the skin scratching them.

I think jabbing a person you care about is harder than doing it to a stranger. A nurse will give you “just a sharp scratch” but when you care about the person, a scratch is the last thing you want to give them.

zippykona

All information will be passed on secondhand from the nurse as we weren’t present.
    Does it go in the bum , would an ice cube rubbed on the skin dull the pain, pinch the skin or not?

mark90
    Free Member

Mrs skip needed to have injections. Shes a nurse and used to giving them to other people but not herself. I ended up giving her the injections.

Mrs 90 is a nurse, and needed daily injections after c-section. I think she (and I) was much happier doing it herself than having some squeamish needle phobic jabbing at her. Easier than getting an IV line in a baby apparently.

yunki
    Free Member

I was speaking to my girlfriend (a midwife) about this the other night.. She has a friend who ‘s young son is a haemophiliac.. The poor kid had to learn to access his veins daily at the age of five years old..

FWIW I learnt to inject myself at the tender age of 15 in a grotty bedsit, it’s really not as hard as you might think, although I’ve always felt uncomfortable injecting others

skiprat
    Free Member

Does it go in the bum , would an ice cube rubbed on the skin dull the pain, pinch the skin or not?

Mrs skips was for fertility so in the tum round the belly button. Quick wipe with a alcohol wipe, let it dry, pinch and jab. On one of the jabs you have to hold the needle in for 10secs so trying not wobble is pretty important.

Give them a call if you need to know more. I’m sure the nurse/doctor will be happy to advise or give you help.

andyl
    Free Member

I got home one night to a note from the OH asking me give the rabbit an injection in the fleshy bit of neck/shoulders. I had never injected anything before and a wriggly and fur covered but fragile rabbit all by myself was not an easy first time!

jota180
    Free Member

As others have said, it’s not too bad.

I do however think it’s a bit much expecting a 80 yr old with poor eyesight to do it.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

This is absolutely standard. And the kit used these days makes it really easy for a family member or friend to do it. Seen lots of people in 80s and 90s do it with no issues.

Happens more often as we are trying harder to prevent post-op clotting problems.

If he has certain kinds of artifical heart valves, some of the tablets we increasingly use to do this job are not an option.

luffy105
    Free Member

I’ve had to do the blood clotting jabs on a few occasions into the lower stomach area.

The key thing I found is not to rub the injected area straight after the injection as this is what always caused bruising for me. It’s always a little itchy/tingly for 30 seconds or so after the jab and if I left it alone it wouldn’t bruise but every time I scratched or rubbed I’d be left with a 5p coin sized bruise. The first couple of times I did it were a little intimidating but you soon get used to it.

Still absolutely hate injections though, can’t abide needles. Was glad I didn’t have to have them for long.

zippykona

Seen lots of people in 80s and 90s do it with no issues.

What about squeamish people in their 40s?

Northwind

FWIW, professionals having to go on a course and get certified in things doesn’t actually mean it’s difficult, it just means they need to demonstrate that they’ve been trained. If you’re working with the public there’s more risk of/from needle-sticks, I’d imagine there’s a bit of training on dealing with phobics too. Basically it’s not the same as doing it for one person.

When I was diagnosed diabetic (at 7) they demonstrated to my mum how to do it, told her to practice on an orange, and sent us home. I learned myself just by watching and started self-injecting at about 8. It’s really not hard and shouldn’t be painful either- don’t freak out! I think it’s better to do it yourself if you can- every so often you’ll get a sore one and it’s nice to be able to stop!

simon_g

I believe incidence of blood clotting is one of those things the NHS are measured on now, hence the emphasis on it.

Mrs is on Fragmin at the moment as she’s pregnant and in a cast with a broken ankle. The needles are tiny and easy to use – all pre-filled single use ones. We had a session with the nurse to go through it all and included a pack with instructions and a DVD.

That said, if your mum really can’t manage then do say so and they can make alternative arrangements.

natrix
    Free Member

At least people tend to stay still, I house sat for somebody who had a diabetic cat once. I think the cat figured that the daily insulin injections from me were a new game of hide and seek around the house, him leaping from bookcase to shelf with me running around chasing him with a syringe in my hand 😯

Bunnyhop

Mr. bh gave me injections for a month after my recent operation.
    Not much fun for either of us but he listened carefully to the medical advice and was fine.

Drac

All information will be passed on secondhand from the nurse as we weren’t present.

Ask if a Nurse can resist at a time your present.

FWIW, professionals having to go on a course and get certified in things doesn’t actually mean it’s difficult, it just means they need to demonstrate that they’ve been trained

As prescribers and administrators the regulations are very different to someone giving a family member an injection.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Giving people injections.’ is closed to new replies.