Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Giving blood- how soon after should you ride?
  • hora
    Free Member

After thoughts really? Couple of days?

Jamie
    Free Member

Nah. Several hours and you’ll be reet. Not as if your going to be caning it.

matt_bl
    Free Member

I’ve ridden home a few times, just don’t push it and pass out.

Few hours and some fluid it all seems to be fine. I wouldn’t expect to be smashing strava PBs for the next week, IME.

Matt

hora
    Free Member

Just felt abit woolly/sapped this morning. Gave blood at 2 yesterday. Going/want to ride tomorrow too

carlos
    Free Member

Normally donate on a Sunday afternoon, then ride as always on a Monday night.

Maybe your having an off day?

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve never bothered with the advice from the donor nurses – probably stupid of me! I’ll give blood and happily play squash or football 1hr later, not had any issues, but I’m sure it will depend on each person.

hora
    Free Member

Normally takes 6mins. Took over 12 and I can tell he got the needle in ‘wrong’

DezB
    Free Member

Best idea is to go with how you feel..

oldnpastit

I’ve been fine cycling home as soon as they’ve let me go. But my legs felt like lead a few days later trying to keep up with a group ride as soon as we hit the first hill.

But then I’m old and useless, so it may just be me.

Flaperon

I’ve ridden the same day but felt crap afterward. Top speed down 10-15% for a couple of weeks, back to normal in a month.

Poor man’s altitude training.

badlyoverdrawnboy
    Free Member

1985 and 17 years old been in the army for three months ,told to report to the guard room with another lad taken to cambridge military hospital told im giving blood, and 45minutes later I’m back to Keogh barracks just in time for the afternoon stretcher run with comatosed log ,ah the good old days .

TiRed

Drink plenty and you can ride the next day if you are of reasonable fitness. You can’t really road race two days later – don’t ask me how I know… But the power plot doesn’t lie (down 10%) 😳 . Hamilton and US Postal used to reinfuse their 28day old blood so it wouldn’t go off.

bigblackshed

I’ve normally been back to normal within a day or two. Except last time, donation 53, needle was in wrong followed by a proper faint.

Did the Verderers in the sun the following day. I was not in a good place. Sick twice and passed out in the car park. If you don’t feel right just take it very steady. Lots of fluid and light easy food, nothing heavy.

footflaps

Should only take a few hours for your body to replace the fluid and a few days to get the red blood cell count back up to normal.

EDIT Not that I’ve been allowed to give blood for the last 10 years as I travel to Africa as least twice a year which, as far as the blood service are concerned, means I’ve had unprotected sex with hundreds of HIV hookers, so they don’t want my blood. I’ve given up even offering as business travel outside Europe seems to be a major red flag.

boxfish
    Free Member

I only tried once to go for a “proper” ride the same day after donating…I now leave it a minimum of 48 hours and take things easy.

hora
    Free Member

Ouch 😀

Flaperon

Update – just tried my favourite Strava hill and still running behind. This is 3 weeks (and a bit) since the donation so if you’re planning any big events, put it off. Though I guess by your photo that’s not really an option! 🙂

chunkypaul
    Free Member

full english with plenty of blood sausage is what you need boy…..

yunki
    Free Member

read ‘The Secret race’

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Giving blood- how soon after should you ride?’ is closed to new replies.