Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Giving away parts to a mate?
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So – helping out my mate and getting him a better bike. I have already got some good upgrades for his existing bike cheap from here. Now I have a nice frame for him to transfer the nice bits onto.

he is a bit skint and the costs are adding up.

Would you give a mate a seatpost, clamp, headset, maybe a saddle? All from my spares collection

How about a wheel? lend the wheel? Again its a spare wheel

How far do you go?

Your thoughts appreciated – ta

redthunder
    Free Member

Do you want your hand held ?

Is he a general free loader or just skint. Do you reckon he would do the same for you ?

Are you truly benevolent or require conditions ?

meehaja
    Free Member

I do, simply because my spares are mostly lower quality than what is on my bike and if i break something i will probably upgrade anyway

MrNutt
    Free Member

Give him your helmet, he’ll need it, he’s new.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve given plenty of parts away in my time, if they’re for mates then whats a few bits and pieces? I guess it depends if you’re gonna have a need for them again anytime soon.

druidh
    Free Member

Happens on Mlehworld repeatedly.

Junkyard
    Free Member

tj i have seat clamps you can have and a headset
    depends my proper riding buddies could borrow a bike if they needed it
    an acquaintance a few cheap bits

Not really possible to put a price on friendship – are they proper skint or taking the piss?
    Only you know this

timc
    Free Member

yer i would, passed on a lot of spares to mates to upgrade their bikes, full set of juicy 5’s, tyres, don’t even blink at things like posts / stems / saddle

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i gave a mate a barely used rockshox psylo sl fork a few years ago so he could upgrade his old HT.
    he’s done quite a bit of mechanic work on my car(s) though, and always refused offers of payment for it.

porter_jamie

If you really don’t want/need it any more, then why not. you tend to help people that will help themselves. would he lend you a wheel/saddle or whatever back? don’t end up being his personal free wiggle/crc! i lend stuff to mates all the time, but then they lend me stuff all the time too – different length stems, tyres to try, that kind of thing. i have given an old mech i didnt need to someone before, but he gave me an old set of cranks for a ss. i guess i would rather give something to a mate and know he was going to use it, than sell it on ebay.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’ve given away whole bikes to friends in the past. Much rather someone else makes use of something than it just languish somewhere.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Yes.

Given away a frame, a fork, a wheel, some brakes, and last week some new bars

Why not?

GJP
    Free Member

If you need to ask on here you are not much of a mate IMO

julianwilson
    Free Member

we do that quite a bit between us but usually comes out in the wash in other things you can’t really ‘price up’: I build wheels and service forks for free, another mate sells vans and helped me a great deal (and haggled quite a bit off for me!) when I bought our t4. Expensive things will always pass between us at significantly less than we would ever accept selling them on the classifieds. A couple of interesting ales, homebrew or something gift-like and thoughtful seems an ‘OK’ exchange for what would probably be a lot more in ‘real money’ too. We also have a ‘team bike’, (16in scandal), which has several of our ‘team’s’ parts on it (for example I have a back wheel, most of a drivetrain and brakes ‘invested’ in it) and it sort of fits most of us. It lives with the owner of the frame and technically is his, but is freely loaned out and has been ridden and raced by quite a few of us.

theflatboy
    Free Member

the answer is surely dependent on a huge amount of extraneous factors that determine whether you would or not. as above, you presumably either know if you will or won’t… 😕

Cougar

Better being used than in a drawer.

I’m the same way with old tech; I’ve got a load of stuff that I’ll realistically never use but “might come in useful.” I’d class a mate needing parts as “coming in.”

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Are these bits actually ‘spare’ TJ or do you intend to use or sell them at some point? If, like me, you take stuff to car boot sales in the hope of getting 20p for them, then don’t be a tight ar$ed hoarder (like me) & let your mate have them. 😉

mefty
    Free Member

Its cynical-Al – so probably extracting the urine.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I’ve got a load of stuff that I’ll realistically never use but “might come in useful.” I’d class a mate needing parts as “coming in.”

seems reasonable

Ta

Just using this as a sounding board to straighten the ideas out in my head.

Edit – essel – the wheel will get used I guess – the other stuff – accumulated bits

kcal

yes. of course.
    stuff you mentioned is all small change really, as others have said..

MTFU 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

This is just blatant fishing for compliments, either give him the stuff or don’t, but for gods sake don’t clutter up cyberspace with your middle class minutae.

I know a top bloke who gave a skint needy (but fast) friend a dh frame. In the benefactors words: “I’d rather he had it than sell it to some seeyounexttuesday on singletrack” 😆

jb79
    Free Member

Depends. Is he a higher rate taxpayer? 😆

hilldodger
    Free Member

Parts in the box Vs warm feeling in the soul, tough call 😉

Go on, help him out, you know you want to……

pitduck
    Free Member

yes, my mate khani has upgraded my bike more than once 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

toys19 – Member

This is just blatant fishing for compliments,

No its not – Its a genuine sounding out of opinion – which seems quite a clear response does it not.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

If you feel he is taking advantage of your good nature then no. let him sort himself out.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Unless you are saving bits for something specific, yeah better a mate gets some benefit than just have them mouldering away.

dropoff

So, you have a big box of “stuff” that realistically you may never use, and your mate has a need for said stuff and can’t afford to buy it. Why are you even asking the question. Just think about all the space you’ll have that you can fill up with new bits. 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

Of course it is TJ, you are adult enough to not have to ask silly questions like this. You know if you love someone enough to give it away or not, and I know you are a caring/benevolent type so it’s a no brainer for you. I reckon the recipient hasn’t shown enough gratitude so you are fishing for some on here.

bwaarp
    Free Member

TJ…..being good to a few close friends will make you much happier than selling those parts for a few bob.

BikePawl
    Free Member

But he wouldn’t need these parts if you hadn’t badgered him to getting another frame. So of course you are responsible for giving him everything he needs. When do you need the front shifter?

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’d give spares away to a mate no bother. Just a case of deciding acouple of things. Is it a mate you don’t mind giving stuff to. Are you going to regret giving away certain items later on.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bikepawl – anytime – no hurry

tazzymtb

yep do it loads, and have given away chris king cogs and the like to folks on here to get them started with singlespeeding etc…or bartered lots of spare kit for beers or a donation to air ambulances and the like.

if it’s less than £40 it’s too much hassle to sell so I donate/give away to get get more folks riding.

BikePawl
    Free Member

I take it, you’re giving him the forks as well?

AlasdairMc

For some balance to this, loads of nice folk on the forum clubbed together and built a bike for someone they’d never even met at Christmas. You’re already friends with the guy this thread is about, so put it into perspective and give him the stuff you’d never use anyway!

trail_rat
    Free Member

I gave my work mate who i also ride mtb with a thorn raven enduro built up with my spares to ride to work – every day i see him riding to work on it it makes me happy – one less car !!

saleem
    Free Member

I’d give a friend the last penny in my pocket, he might not get much for it, but that’s not the point.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve been given a rather nice road frame with carbon forks and few other bits and bobs, tried to pay him for it but he wouldn’t take it. Kind of felt obliged to offer him something for it even though I couldn’t afford anything like what it was worth at the time.
    I have since given away a helmet, a stem, a mobi jetwash (that was broken, but the person I gave it to knew about electrics and made it work again) and some other bits, just good karma really.
    If it’s someone I don’t know, off here for example, looking for cheap bits that I have, specific bolts for instance, then I’ll ask for a donation to Ratcliff Donkey Sanctuary in return.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I gave my mate a Dirty Bristow, he’s been forever in my gratitude since. I would never lend him a bike though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Giving away parts to a mate?’ is closed to new replies.