Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Give us yer monies….even if it's pence..
  • sharki
    Free Member

Myself and some friends are doing a sponsored walk to raise money for the 'help the hero's charity'.

The walk is the 36 mile Coleridge way, which starts on the east side of the Quantocks, goes over and around the hills, into the brendons, then up over Exmoor to Porlock…

This is normally a 2 day walk at a push or a casual 4 day trip.

We're doing it in a day, starting and finishing in the dark.

If you can spare some change or a note or two please donate here http://www.justgiving.com/LeeOkopski/.

And if anyone would like to join us for part or all of the walk, then please do.

It's planned for the 1st December and will begin at a very very early hour…before the sparrows, in fact before most sensible creatures…

Thanks.

sharki
    Free Member

Thanks all

ton

dome mate…. 8)

Jamie
    Free Member

Its a bit of a nightmare trying to get people to donate/sponser these days. I did a half marathon couple of weeks back for Sue Ryder and it was tricky getting sponsored from people i actually know.

I think it stems from

a) people being skint

and

b) people being bombarded for donation requests, especially if they work in a big office. For example i asked a friend to sponsor me and she said no. I am like 'C'mon its for charity etc etc'. She then explained working for a Thomas Cook in a mahoosive building she is constantly getting asked to sponser people for a myriad of events and a fiver here and a couple of quid there soon ads up.

I guess what i am saying in a very drawn out way is i wouldn't take it personal or be surprised if strangers do not donate money to your walk.

Dobbo

Job done, nice one, hope it don't rain!

sharki
    Free Member

I'm more than aware of those things el presidente! and hopefully my OP showed my understanding if people can't donate for the various reasons.

I've not worked in over 6 mths and my financial situation is more dire than anyone in a civilised country would wish for….

Cheers Ton and Dobbo, it probably will rain..

BTW the dog won't be coming, we did a little charity walk and the pup bailed after 10 miles, i made a stretcher out of driftwood and a jumper to get him through the last 4 miles whilst he slept…Mind you the crazy mut chased seagulls and shadows for hrs…

Thanks to all do donate and i am sure everyone has charities close to their hearts that they give freely too, even if it starts at home..

epicyclo

OK done.

Keep this post bumped folks.

dmiller
    Free Member

donated £5 for anyone crazy enough to make a stretcher for their pup…

sharki
    Free Member

Again you're all ace and my feet are loving you all for it.

Philby

Another donation here!

Was at Bristol Rovers v Leeds Utd on Tuesday and there was a presentation to Help the Heroes there, including one young guy who was about 22 who was a triple amputee. It was incredibly upsetting to see someone so young having suffered so much fighting for the freedom and democracy of others!

Good luck with the walk and the fundraising.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

How does Help for Heroes differ from The Royal British Legion?

Seriously – just started to wonder this. Who does the best things with the money, which charity gives a higher percentage of donations to the cause?

sharki
    Free Member

Thanks for all the donations so far, between the 5 of us doing the walk we have already raised over £700.

We hope to reach £1000 by next weekend and the weather better improve a little so i can grab plenty of pics of the day…

DONATE HERE

Thanks again, Sharki xx

Kahurangi

/added. It's not a lot but I hope it'll help you get through 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion, not sure how they differ, but H4H has raised new interest in supporting the injured and ex servicemen in our forces…i believe the RBL help ex servicemen as a whole, where H4H focus's on helping injured soilders.

A break down on where the donations since H4H was started can be seen here http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/how_we_spend.html

Thanks Mr T.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Give us yer monies….even if it's pence..’ is closed to new replies.