Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Gisburn trails for a newbie
  • Potdog
    Free Member

Looking for somewhere to take my daughter out on the bike that’s in easy reach of Blackpool. I’m guessing that Gisburn will be the nearest. She did Llandegla blue a while back and really enjoyed it. Rest of the family are heading to my nightmare destination of Blackpool for the day so the ideal opportunity for me and the young’un to sneak off for a few hours to reduce the pain!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

A natural loop from Staveley?
    Rivington would probably be the closest if that matters.

Potdog
    Free Member

Looking at Gisburn mainly because I’m thinking it will be similar in style to Llandegla with some swoopy bermy stuff that she enjoyed. I’m not so sure she’ll be as happy on a more natural ride just yet and don’t want to risk spoiling the potential addiction 😉

Potdog
    Free Member

Any one got any other suggestions for the area, or any info on Gisburn? Is it worth the trip?

martinhutch

Gisburn in the morning, this in the afternoon (start is about 20 mins from Gissy in the car).

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/visit-the-dales/things-to-see-and-do/get-outdoors-dales/mountain-biking/mountain-biking-routes/mtb-routes/mtb-route-tunnelsbridges/mtb-tunnels_and_bridges.pdf

Gisburn will only take you an hour and a half tops for the blue (I think it’s harder work than Llandegla, not as smooth and swoopy anyway), the route here is a couple of hours. It’s awesome for beginners, not particularly technical, and unlike 90% of Gisburn, has some amazing views.

chestrockwell

Plenty to ride at Gisburn, including steady fire road. The lower loop from the main car park is probably the best bet. Plenty of natural trails nearby but Gisburn is the easiest option.

mcnultycop

The first bit of blue (shared with the red) from the hub car park is a bit trickier than Llandegla blue. Not hard, but people in the car park have said it is trickier than their kids expected.

Potdog
    Free Member

Cheers. We’ll probably only get a few hours after lunch anyway, but may save the other for the next trip before school starts.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IMHO it is too far to drive for the ride you will get
    you really could get to the lakes in the same time as Gisburn takes ages to get to from that side- It will take at least 1 hr 30 mins to get there whatever the sat nav says IME

I would ride Rivvy for natural – can sort you out routes if required or drive to stavely and ride there.

There is very little swoopy stuff on the blue at gisburn though I only did it about two years ago so other will be better informed. Kids walked the first bermy bit I think and it took us a lot longer than 1 hr 30 to ride

There is a cycle route along the prom from Blackpool to Fleetwood and a decent BMX track in Stanley Park

thepodge
    Free Member

As Gisburn red is a figure of 8, if I’m short of time I just do the lower half, I can’t remember anything too taxing on that red, the harder stuff seems to be on the upper loop.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn trails for a newbie’ is closed to new replies.