Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Gisburn or Ingleborough?
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    Heading up to the Dales (Ingleton) at the weekend with the family and I may get chance for a spin out for a couple of hours. Both these options are local and I’ve done neither before.

I saw a video on youtube of someone doing the Ingleborough descent on a DH bike and it did look a lot of fun, but if the weather is bad I think I’ll have to rule it out as an option.

What’s Gisburn like in terms of technical difficulty? Also does it hold up OK in the wet?

Any other opinions on which of the above options is the most fun? I like technical trials and don’t mind a bit of a push / carry if the DH is worth it.

Ta!

IamSam
    Free Member

wow local hey,

let us know what you end up doing may be able to dodge out for an hour or two.

not a lot of tech at Guisburn a short down hill track and the new hope line, but not ridden that. it is fun though.

Edric64
    Free Member

Ingleborough has one bridleway on it from the Ingleton side so its up and down the same way much of the lower part is a fairly well graded limestone lane .The top section will be a push or carry to the plateau and would be quite a lot of effort for a short blast before the lane takes over again

tomaso
    Free Member

There is plenty of good riding to be had if you start from Clapham and the boggy bits are frozen at the moment which should make it a bit faster.

grum
    Free Member

Looked to be a fair bit of snow on Ingleborough the other day.

Rockape
    Free Member

As tomaso says some good riding out of clapham look at tunnels and bridges route on this link http://www.mtbthedales.org.uk/mtb-home.htm Everthing is getting hard with frost now so better riding conditions. Gisburn is very slippery on top at welpstone crag we did it Tuesday night it was a hoot. Whatever you choose to do enjoy.

martinhutch

I was at Gisburn yesterday. Very slippy in parts on the top half of the 8 loop. Tracks suggested that some people were riding the ice covered boardwalks, but I wasn’t that brave! Hope Line looked a tad slippy right at the top but was clear beyond that. Bottom half of the 8 was pretty much OK, apart from the boardwalk on the blue near the end.

Ingleborough was plastered white above 1200ft, and I think some more snow is forecast Friday into Saturday.

Might be the opportunity to ride some the lower level stuff which has been a complete quagmire recently.

allthegear
    Free Member

I’m also in Ingleton this weekend – though I was actually considering *walking* rather than biking for a change.

Edit – no, I don’t have any red socks – should I get some??

Rachel

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Inglebrough is one way up one way down. If you like climbing is a nice constant climb. The DH is ok but nothing special, used to ride it quite a lot on a rigid, its nothing special.

Gisburn is a good ride. As above some bits might be interesting in the current conditions.

pennine
    Free Member

I was on Ingleborough yesterday. The main path is hard packed and icy with soft snow elsewhere. Walking with cycling shoes would be difficult. It was also very windy & one pair of walkers turned back after encountering clouds of stinging spindrift.

allthegear
    Free Member

mmm – remember to take glasses, Rachel…

Edric64
    Free Member

Glasses or goggles ,it was like those pics in December but shrouded in mist.Its an absolutely brilliant view from the top if it clears .It made a change to take in the view rather than dragging a cross bike up there in a race

ChrisE
    Free Member

Arrr Pennine – top pics. I wish I were there and not stuck in work! Still will be up there tonight I think

C

grum
    Free Member

Nice pics pennine.

I’d probably second going to Clapham and getting in a ride from there, there’s a nice loop you can do from there in an hour or two that goes up onto the moors which will be lovely and frosty by now.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Outlook for the Yorkshire Dales

Saturday
    Bright at first, but soon becoming overcast with sleet and snow spreading from the west. There may well be some significant accumulations for a time during the afternoon before the snow turns to rain at lower levels late afternoon. Fresh to strong southerly to southwesterly winds and hill fog developing. Freezing at all levels, rising to somewhat later in the day.

Sunday
    Somewhat milder and drier, perhaps with a little sunshine at first before outbreaks of rain and some hill snow arrive later. Sometimes brisk west or southwesterly winds. Freezing level near the summits.

I think we’ll head up next Monday or Tuesday for a ramble.

MadBillMcMad

Pennine’s pics answers the question for me.

domino

Meant to post this earlier – Pen-y-Ghent on Saturday. I’d imagine its still quite snowy up there now. Can see the snow from Skipton over towards Malham/Grassington direction, nothing on the near hills though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn or Ingleborough?’ is closed to new replies.