Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Gisburn or alternatives ?
  • fozzyuk

On Paternity leave at the minute. In-laws are over tomorrow and it’s been suggested I get a day out on the bike…..shame 😉

Given the weather what would you suggest? I’m based just outside of Hebden, don’t mind a bit of rain but don’t fancy 6 hours of being blasted by freezing wind and rain.

squiff
    Free Member

I would stick with Gisburn, with the weather we are having, most of the time I have found Gisburn quite a sheltered place and it’s a place where I always think you have had a good ride and earnt yourself Pint 8)

fozzyuk

Thanks, I’ve never been before but have heard good things, what’s it like in comparison to somewhere like Grizedale or Sherwood pines, where I have been a few times ?

squiff
    Free Member

I would say gisburn is better then the Grizedale north face route, with Gisburn you get tech sections, lots of burns, up hill bown hill, not much flat and they have fixed a few bits on the route and theres a new bit they have just opened which is good, short but test your skills abit. I woukld go there you wont be disapointed 😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its loads better than Grizedale although when I rode Gisburn last (February) it was a bit messy in places. Like its been mentioned, its pretty sheltered apart from up near the slab so should be ok. Personally I’d jump on the train and head down the valley and stay sheltered in Headless Chicken, Copley etc. Then pootle along the canal/cycle path back with a pint on route. But then I’m biased 😉

santacrews
    Free Member

squiff

It cant be compared to sherwood pines !

Where as SP is relatively flat and featureless Gisburn is Fairly undulated but by no means mountainous, i would say the terrain is more adventourous than a traditional Trail Centre in that its man made and uses the land to follow natural lines and kinda has a hybrid feel of man made groomed meets natural materials !

Hell Fire: I,m not doing a good job of explaining this ?

Its pretty hard to put into words and has a mix of most terrain, fire road, berms, singletrack, its mostly man made but does a good job of blending in and keeping you on your toes !

Whilst there is nothing wrong with SP and i ride there myself sometimes for fitness more than skills development its just not the same.

Let us know your thoughts if you go ?

squiff
    Free Member

santaacres

I was comparing it to Grizeldae, I have never been to sherwood pines, They have put some new good stuff in and it make a great night ride during the week 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lee Quarry probably closer better draining better place IMHO
    VERY VERY EXPOSED.

Cougar

Watch out for the North Shore at Gisburn, it’s slippier than greased squirrel shit.

squiff
    Free Member

I find Lee quarry a bit boring, its more of a play about park than a route And yes Very exposed

squiff
    Free Member

Fozzyuk

I am going to Gisburn Thursday night if you want to meet up or anyone on here if you want to come 😀

neil853
    Free Member

squiff i’ll keep in touch in case my wednesday ride falls though 😆

ajf
    Free Member

Watch out for the North Shore at Gisburn, it’s slippier than greased squirrel shit.

+1

hit the deck before i realised i was falling straight into bog.

GavinB

I agree about Lee (and also Cragg) Quarry being rather exposed for riding this week.

Another idea, especially given the weather, is to do a route around the Rivington/Anglezarke Reservoir area, linking in with Healey Nabb. The riding will not be as technical as some of the harder sections at Gisburn, but it’s mostly all very low-lying and wooded, so even if its tipping down you’ll be fine.

I sketched out a rough idea earlier here

santacrews
    Free Member

Sorry Squiff i meant that @ fozzy
    😳

mrh86

Only been to gisburn a couple of times and it was very very muddy in places! Make a day of it and head up to the lakes. BWs in and around Grizedale are mostly rocky and very enjoyable!

fozzyuk

Choices choices, figured Sherward pines would be a bad comparison but I don’t really do much trail centre riding.

Gisburn looking the best choice I think at the minute, especially since it looks like my shifting problems will need the cables renewing tonight..limits the time for route planning.

Have been to Lee quarry and as above it may be rocky but I wouldn’t fancy it in this wind, would also agree with the comments that it’s more of a play / practice area to string together a loop, sure it works better once you’ve invested some more time to get to know the place though.

Squiff, thanks for the invite but can’t do Thursday night, I’d be interested at a later point though, is night riding popular there ?

neil853
    Free Member

is night riding popular there ?

Yes! good venue for it IMHO

fozzyuk

So, very remote. After mentioning to the better half where I was off to, I arrived at an empty car park with no mobile signal.

Quick drive down the road and I’d given location and eta to the Mrs.

Really enjoyed it, few sections were very muddy but given the recent rain that’s to be expected.

Lots of really good bermy sections and I loved the way it was so natural looking with river fords etc.

Will I go again, yes.

Was quite technical for my skills, can see why it is a great night ride location once you know it a bit more!

Thanks for all the advice.

neil853
    Free Member

it is quite technical for a nightride and a headtorch is definately needed (which i don’t have) but the roller coaster section is awesome in the dark!

That area gets LOADS of rain but as you says holds up well. It’s had some repair work done recently and is riding really well.

I might ride it tomorrow actually 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn or alternatives ?’ is closed to new replies.