Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Gisburn Forest – problems
  • catcher
    Free Member

Will all the fat, weekend warriors that insist on taking crisp packets, sandwich boxes and plastic bottles with them on such a long ride to seemingly throw at random round the forest please take a look at themselves. I avoid the place at weekends but once again today the trail is full of litter; the lads that were there today rebuilding some of the trail were frankly disgusted. I know it’s really hard for some people to last an hour without a bag of crisps and a pork pie but seriously, take your crap home with you! The worst area is the ‘secret’ jumps area were the teens hang out. The area at the bottom where it turns sharp right to a dead end was littered with around 7 bottles. You’ll spoil it for everyone; grow up.

easygirl

Better post on the mbuk forum!

timc
    Free Member

what about the skinny ones?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

what about the skinny ones?

They probably dont need lots of crisps and sandwiches to ride round a trail centre

lipseal
    Free Member

You could always try this with the pork pie wrappers 8)

amasaback
    Free Member

catcher I totally agree with you and posted about the litter near the jump section a few weeks ago. Have a look over the wall next to the jumps as it’s even worse. I rode past the jumps last Wednesday night and it looked horrific. I also posted on the CycleJunkies website thinking that it might catch the eye of some of the downhillers/freeriders that ride that bit of the forest. I only got a couple of replies. The problem is not restricted to the unofficial bits of track as plenty gets dropped around the official red route.

A local (a non-mountain biker) once said years ago that they would spoil the place and I’m thinking that they might be right. I think people forget that the forest is used by other people (walkers, horse riders, husky trainers, bird watchers etc.) and has been for a long time. It doesn’t exist solely for mountain bikers to use and abuse and I’m saying that as an avid mountain biker.

I adopt the same strategy these days and try to ride during the week. It’s a shame as I’m sure that the majority of riders out at weekends are decent people. Also, I’m not sure what good posting on here will do as I’m sure the culprits won’t be reading a thread about dropping litter.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Unfortunately these are the sort of side effects of making Gisburn a more accesable place to go and ride.

Cast back 15 years ago and you never saw any one else, let alone rubbish.

Perhaps signs in the car park “Take your rubbish home you dirty people” would help?

stumpyjon

I think new signage is due in the carpark, I’ll mention it to Martin (doubt he’ll be that impressed with the state of trails given the work he has put into them).

Trouble with popularity though…..

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Ranting on here about litter – pointless.

Take a bag next time and collect it. At least that way it won’t get any worse. Or camp out there in the hope of catching someone and admonishing them.

Personally I’d save the sweeping generalisations as well. They’re rarely correct or even useful.

😎

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Wouldn’t worry about the litter because the midges will keep the people away. Was up there last wednesday and was eaten alive by the little critters 😀 . On a serious note I do agree with the litter problem. How hard can it be to take your litter home with you?. After you’ve eaten the contents the packaging doesn’t take up as much room as before so TAKE IT HOME !

catcher
    Free Member

Cheeky monkey, it’s hardly pointless surely and the sweeping generalisations, though maybe not helpful, are an expression of anger. After all, many riders are capable of doing the ride in around an hour so why people should take so much crap with them is astonishing. However, I havn’t posted on here to get into an arguement with someone in cyberspace, which seems to be how these threads go. My point is that in places like New Zealand, a rider dropping litter would be abused by his fellow-riders (and not invited along again), yet in Britain certain people still think it’s cool and rebelious to leave litter that clearly won’t degrade. Maybe some cameras hidden could shame them, especially if the footage got posted on here?

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

What do you think posting on here has achieved? Most likely nothing and therefore, surely by definition, it’s pointless.

Sweeping generalisations just tend to indicate lazy writing or worst a bigoted mindset. One’s generally irrelevant though sometimes misleading, the other is as bad or worse that the problem, probably.

You can’t have any idea (unless you saw them) about how or why the litter got dropped or whether it’s done by lone riders or those in groups. If you did see them why not say something? Again, if you’re that bothered go and stake out the trail, poised to pounce on anyone daring to drop litter.

And then I got to this bit of your post:

yet in Britain certain people still think it’s cool and rebelious to leave litter that clearly won’t degrade. Maybe some cameras hidden could shame them, especially if the footage got posted on here?

And just kinda gave up on the concept of sensible discussion 😉

Personally, I pick up stuff that’s lying around so the situation, hopefully, gets no worse. I don’t like the fact I’m doing it it but I’d rather there was less litter. Plus it always seems more useful than posting on here about how unhappy I am about litter. Hence my suggestion you pick it up yourself.

amasaback
    Free Member

I think posting on here could achieve quite a lot actually if the right people read the post. I know this contradicts my original post, but since then StumpyJon has replied saying that he’s going to have a word with Martin about the problem. The Martin he refers to is Martin Colledge Head Forester. He could actually make quite a big difference. E.G. By putting signage up at Cocklett Hill. He also spends quite a lot of time up in the forest so I’m sure he could even go to the jump spot in question and talk to the culprits directly.

I’ve picked up litter myself in the past, but have stopped because a) why should I pick up someone else’s litter? b) picking up other peoples litter isn’t going to solve the problem at the source and will just mask the problem from the FC.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Pffft, my arse ;-P

I know Martin and Jon and I’m sure they will make some good efforts. Sadly, IMO, tthe litterings down to people of a certain mentality who won’t give a toss about a sign telling them not to litter. The sort of people who wouldn’t think to use a bin if was a foot away from them.

Whilst your approach to picking up litter is perfectly understandable I disagree. Who else should pick up, if you accept the dirty twonk who dropped it isn’t going to? Personally I’d rather there was less litter full stop so if that means grabbing the odd bottle and wrapper then I’m fine with that. I’d rather not “have” to but if the alternative is leaving it to accumulate on some point of principle or on the assumption that some other person / organisation will do it for me then I’d rather not.

Personally, I thnk you’re kidding yourself if you think anything FC can do or the idea that leaving it there will make them take extra notice will make the blindest bit of difference in this sort of situation.

Hey ho, your views may vary etc 😎

catcher
    Free Member

Thanks for the sensible, constructive and supportive messages. Thanks also to the above people that are prepared to talk to those involved in the work at Gisburn with regard to signage and having a word with the culprits involved in littering what was once a very pristine forest.
    The following is taken from the Charter of Singletraction, the Chairman of which seems a little unsupportive and dismissive of my simple wish that riders act responsibly – ‘To promote mountain biking opportunities that are environmentally sound and socially responsible.’ That promotion should surely start with the message ‘take your litter home with you’.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

the Chairman of which seems a little unsupportive and dismissive of my simple wish that riders act responsibly

ROFLMAO 😆

If you can, try to differentiate between my view that posting on here to bemoan litter is pointless (which I’ve tried to explain) with the idea that I might, in anyway, condone littering.

Hey ho, it takes all sorts 🙄

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn Forest – problems’ is closed to new replies.