Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Gisburn forest any good?
  • Telemaster18
    Free Member

It’ll be the 5th ride back after a couple of years off from riding. Penmachno, Llandegla, Marin (All with some pushing) and then MBR and coed y brenin yesterday (without any pushing). Finally got the fitness back now.

Anyway, not too much info about Gisburn that I can find. Love all the downhill single track bits on the above trails. What trails are there at G?

Thanks in advance

willber
    Free Member

My advise – get to Gizzy and ride it. You won’t be dissapointed. Some good vids on utube

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

well worth a trip. a bit more natural feeling that some of the Welsh trail centres. quite varied too. I love the wooded sections

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Ahh yes, seen some of the vids! Looks top, I’m going!

stumpyjon

Load of info at http://www.pmba.org.uk/gisburn.htm including maps, car park location, trail guide etc.

It is good, but then I’ve helped build quite a bit of it so I may be a bit biased.

It’s not got massive downhill sections although there is quite a lot of elevation to be gained. Most people like the descent on Homebaked near the beginning, Hully Gully with the 30ft berms and the recently constructed Hope line. It’s developing all the time as well, new £ 300k car park going in at the moment and there’ll be some additional trail with that plus the volunteer group is working on a 1km section bypassing a fireroad descent we hope to have open in the summer.

Rockape
    Free Member

Gisburn is good alround. It makes you work and gives rewards. Brilliant for a night ride aswell. Keep up the good work stumpyjon and all the diggers. Are they doing work up in the quarry near the tole of the hope section? last night ride we did that section was closed.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Brilliant, cheers for the info and nice one stumpyjon for building the trails! I’m sure they’ll be top.

Looking forward to it now.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

the trail builders are not working in the quarry, they’re working to cut out the forest road descent much further round the fig of 8 loop (although, geographically not all that far away from the quarry). No one likes forest road descents, so it’s going to be an excellent new addition. The next dig day is next Sunday.

Stevelol
    Free Member

My favourite trail centre in England, it’s ace, rocky, fast, flowy, jumps, twisty, ace views too, bit of everything.

Aristotle
    Free Member

I like it. It feels (mostly) more like riding in a forest than on a big BMX track than some trail centres do. And it’s in Lancashire.

nick3216
    Free Member

It’ll be the 5th ride back after a couple of years off from riding.

At the risk of appearing rude you only seem to ride trail centres. Gishurn is very close to some “proper” riding in the Lakes or Dales.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

It’s fine, I know what type of rider I am and don’t hide from the fact. Even closer to me (manchester) is riding in the peaks but I’m still (after 5 years on and off of riding) waiting to get a map and try and ride some “proper” riding. If anybody wants to guide me in a good direction to start off I’d like that. That said however, I love what trail centres offer me.

I do really want to do some riding in Hebden bridge as I’ve heard that’s meant to be top notch.

stumpyjon

All the trails are open again. They were extracting stone from the quarry for the new car park.

Telemaster18 we’re working on something just for you out of Lee Quarry, sign posted natural routes aimed at trail centre riders to get them out into the countryside.

julians
    Free Member

I find it a bit too pedally in the main, too undulating, ie not enough that goes downhill, but the downhill bits that there are, are pretty good.

Definately worth visiting if you havent been before.

bspoked
    Free Member

I find Gisburn a bit strange. I rode there a couple of weeks ago – my second time around the ‘eight’ after a long break, although I’ve been and sessioned the hope line in between a few times. The reason for the gap was validated on the second visit. It always feels like there is more pedalling than there is reward. Good to hear that the fireroad descent is being chopped out. It is not a particularly bad one, but it comes at about the time in the ride that I have just come to the conclusion that the rewards aren’t worth the effort and is a bit of a last straw to camelbak interface.

Most of it is probably down to me not being a good enough rider, but I find it hard to keep momentum up on the track surface. Where somewhere like Coed-y-brenin, Whinlatter or Stainburn – and in my exepriece on natural rocky trails, the rocks are about picking a line through and riding over, at Gisburn they just seem to be square-edged momentum-killers. In between, the surface is very silty and further saps roll. When the ups are stop-start, the flat is a slog and the downs are short, it starts to lose enjoyment for me.

There is a decent techy descent just after a ‘cyclists dismount’ sign though 🙂

The track has it’s positives as mentioned above. Homebaked once it starts to point down, Hully Gully (massive grin time – looking forward to it gets you round most of the track) and of course the new hope line (top half will be better once it has dried out a bit) .

It seems a bit of a marmite trail centre. Some people hate it, others rank it as their favourite. The only way you will find out which is to go and ride it!

flyingmonkeycorps

If anybody wants to guide me in a good direction to start off I’d like that.

You’re welcome to join any of our semi regular jaunts in the Peak if you like 🙂

Aristotle
    Free Member

bspoked
    When the ups are stop-start, the flat is a slog and the downs are short, it starts to lose enjoyment for me.

Are you sure you went to the right place? I like a technical, ‘natural’ trail, preferably on a rock-strewn mountain or hill …but I also like Gisburn.

The only ‘slog’ is that track that links the upper and lower loops of the “8”, and even that isn’t very long.

ps. when the trails are smooth on the ups and on the flat, I don’t enjoy it.

bspoked
    Free Member

I don’t know it well enough to name the individual sections, but i don’t like the bit up to and around Whelpstone crag. Also the bit from the intersection of the 8 back to the car park, I always think that should be downhill, but it seems so flat and un-fun. Maybe I need to ride it when it is drier, or maybe it is just me. Plenty of other places to ride close by!

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Stumpyjon that sounds ace….are they based around the stuff that’s at lee quarry? That’s next on the list of places to go and my brother and I love that sort of stuff.

flyingmonkeycorps – sounds top, where do you ride from? Would the said routes be manageable with my current fitness as stated at the top?

stumpyjon

The routes I put together all start from the car park at Futures Park (hopefully soon to be the trail head for Lee Quarry). Some go through the quarries others don’t. It’s a bit of a work in progress that Tony Lund is now spearheading. The intention is to way mark the trails on the ground and produce maps. This will hopefully get people who are nervous of navigating out of the confines of the trail centre and onto the natural riding which is very different. Tony’s trying to use the project to get some funding to upgrade some of the existing bridleways.

Gribs

I’m not sure I like the idea of “upgrading” local bridleways. That generally just makes them duller, round the back of Brown Wardle being a case in point.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That BW round the back of Brown Wardle (we are talking about the Whitworth side aren’t we?) has been bolloxed to be honest but i don’t think it was through any ‘trail sanitisation’ project, rather that the drainage ditch was dug next to the trail and the brainiacs in charge simply dumped all the rubble onto the trail. It’s been horrible to ride for the last 2yrs but it seems to be settling down now due to the weather.

aguesty1
    Free Member

Gisburn is a great all rounder, yes there may not be as many decants as some would like but at the end of the day you need more hills to get the descents! I went up on Sunday and IMO it was the best ride I’ve had there, the trails were nice and dry and in excellent condition, the lads that do the maintenance are top drawer.

Mugboo

I think of Gisburn as an average place that will one day be great.

Also, a great example of the loving way that volunteers build & contractors just throw trail down. Having said that, without contractors, Whelpstone and Hully Gully would not exist.

Like I say, one day it will be truly great, and it’s defo worth a visit to judge for yourselves. 🙂

james
    Free Member

“I think of Gisburn as an average place that will one day be great”

I kind of got that feeling too. Plenty varied, but some kind of naff and eroded bits in that mix too. Flat but rough bits I didnt get. Maybe set up wrong but some bits made my 6″ FS feel rough going. Okay, so I what was I to expect being so overbiked? (I went to play on some of the DH stuff too .. )

Aristotle
    Free Member

People sometimes seem to be a little over-critical of these things. If the forest was a smooth sustrans trail, then I could understand people not liking it, but the place has been created by a lot of volunteers and allows punters to have a very varied ride, for no cost, without the need for navigation.

Maybe set up wrong but some bits made my 6″ FS feel rough going

You’ve either got your suspension set up very wrong or mountain biking has jumped the shark. I’ve ridden it on my hardtail and my hardtail and with various other people. Neither bike or any other people struggled.

Okay, so I what was I to expect being so overbiked

I don’t know, but I wouldn’t expect you to find it ‘rough’. Watch out on the DH bits!

Superficial
    Free Member

I can’t believe you’d want to drive to Gisburn when you’ve got the Peak on your doorstep.

stumpyjon

That generally just makes them duller, round the back of Brown Wardle being a case in point.

Not that sort of upgrading (and I think muddydwarf was right about what happened there and it is b****y awful), more filling in the odd 20m section of unrideable bog around a farm gate. I think Tony can be trusted with the bridleways, he was responsible for much of Lee & Cragg quarries 😉

Gribs

That doesn’t sound too bad then.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Interesting mixture of views on Gisburn. I’ve been going there for years from when it used to be just fire roads with some nice bits of cheeky trail.

Its not the hilliest of trail centres, but you actually know you have ridden round it by the time you get round the new loop.

I like the fact it takes some peddaling and requires a bit of effort, I think this in part makes it feel a bit more natural than other trail centres can do, I also think the trail as a whole feels more natural than some, with out loosing the fun element.

As to its rocky ness, I didnt think it was that rocky !??! Perhaps those who find it rocky are just going to slow on their 6″ travel full sussers 🙂

I live about 1 hr away and tend to go every few months, just for some thing a bit different to the good local natural riding.

martinhutch

It’s a great XC trail, with a little bit of everything – technical climbing, rock garden stuff, north shore, descents. The descents are pretty short, but most of them are pretty involving and enjoyable. I rode the last bit of the new section for the first time the other day, and it’s a scream. Quite literally at one point.

It’s certainly a bit bumpy in places – it doesn’t give away anything for no effort, and it’s cut up rough in a couple of places at the moment.

It’s even got free parking (although not for long…).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The parking will be free if you attend a few dig days (i think it’s 3), but then I think they’ve been assured that all the money raised from parking will go back into the trails, tools, materials, tea and buscuits etc. So, I think most people won’t begrudge paying if there’s a big sign in the car park stating as such.

Carlos45
    Free Member

When are the parking charges due to start. I am due to go there this weekend……

chestrockwell

Interesting mixture of views on Gisburn. I’ve been going there for years from when it used to be just fire roads with some nice bits of cheeky trail.

Its not the hilliest of trail centres, but you actually know you have ridden round it by the time you get round the new loop.

I like the fact it takes some peddaling and requires a bit of effort, I think this in part makes it feel a bit more natural than other trail centres can do, I also think the trail as a whole feels more natural than some, with out loosing the fun element.

As to its rocky ness, I didnt think it was that rocky !??! Perhaps those who find it rocky are just going to slow on their 6″ travel full sussers

I live about 1 hr away and tend to go every few months, just for some thing a bit different to the good local natural riding.

Exactly the same for me, the change over the years is a credit to the trail builders. Live around 15 miles off so visit often and it always puts a smile on my face.

stumpyjon

Parking charges will come in a couple months so you’ll be OK this weekend, they’re building the new car park at the moment. I think car parking charges may cover some of the costs of trail building and maintenance. Martin is pretty good, materials are provided and moved, tools provided etc. all at the FCs cost. Think of it more as putting a bit back in for everything that’s been spent and will continue to be spent.

You will be able to avoid car parking charges, 3 digs will give you a pass for a year at Gisburn, 5 digs will extend the pass to cover Hamsterly, Grizedale, Whinlatter and Kielder.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Carlos45 – Member

When are the parking charges due to start. I am due to go there this weekend……

You’d probably best give it a miss, just in case you do have to pay for something.

Carlos45
    Free Member

Aristotle – you got the wrong end of the stick there – this was all about ensuring I had change for the machines etc given when I have ridden there in the past there has been nowhere to get change etc …. It’s often early morning before the sausage butty van arrives – if indeed he still turns up….

Telemaster18
    Free Member

I did Gisburn yesterday……… absolute top place! Really liked it. I thought the description as a 17k trail meant it would be easy! It was actually pretty tough and I was knackered by the end. I really enjoyed the variety; plenty to test me. There was a couple of black bits that I struggled on; can’t remember the name but with the rocks and boulders, technical bit with the steep rock bit at the end. Hope line was top fun and did a few sessions on this.

Thanks everybody for advice and efforts!

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

It’s a good place, I go up there every few months, quite often just do a lap of the top half, it’s the more rewarding one (for the timebeing). I like it, the bit up to whelpstone cray and around is great. Used to be hard work, but occasionally spend a bit of time playing around up there. Probably my favourite bit as I find it a challenge to go fast over the rocks. I would also agree that the place will hopefully one day be awesome.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn forest any good?’ is closed to new replies.