Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Gisburn conditions?
  • heebyjeeby

Hi,
    Anyone know the current conditions at Gisburn was thinking of heading over there with my lads (last day of hols) but if it’s going to be icy like it is here it would be a wasted trip.
    Cheers

martinhutch

My rule of thumb is that if it’s 3 degrees or less here in Skipton, the fireroads at Gisburn will be pretty slick (and the boardwalks* lethal). It’s 0 degrees out there at the moment. Rest of the trails ride OK though, you’ll just have to be careful (and watch out for ice on the lanes as you drive in).

*which I believe may still be closed anyhow

This, however, will be in stunning nick today if you get out there and it’s rubbish. The start is only a handful of miles away from Gisburn.

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/visit-the-dales/get-outdoors-dales/mountain-biking/mountain-biking-routes/mtb-routes/mtb-route-tunnelsbridges/mtb-tunnels_and_bridges.pdf

Wrap up warm!

heebyjeeby

That’s great thanks Martin think it probably will be a bit slick.
    Cheers for the route advice might give that a go instead

martinhutch

Enjoy. Wish I could be out there today. Instead I have to help a truculent 14-year-old write CVs and covering letters. 🙁

mcnultycop

The boardwalks are still closed and will be for a while, I understand. I rode Gisburn on Friday and embarrassingly had a big fall on a straight section of trail bunny-hopping a puddle. I imagine it’ll be pretty slick up there today as there was a lot of water so if it has frozen overnight it won’t be ideal.

That route shared above looks decent, I may give that a go soon.

whitestone
    Free Member

Personally I’d ride the Tunnels and Bridges route the opposite way round to that shown.

The bit marked in red on that map is a vehicle track that is just about rideable going up (there’s a steep loose rocky section of about 20 metres by the words “Trow Gill” that usually defeat me). The BW between points 4 & 5 is OK going that way but much much better heading down to Wharfe. At Feizor (great cafe) better to head along the road to the mast symbol and take the BW to join up with the shown route where the green and blue sections meet.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn conditions?’ is closed to new replies.