• This topic has 61 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Giro Montaro – have they sorted the pads yet ?
  • iainc

indeed 🙂

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Giro Chronicle, any idea if it shares the same issue? (one ride in and all looks fine, it’s very comfy!)

legend
    Free Member

Swirl in the bath? Bet you’ve got a beaker beside the bed too!

iainc

ooh err 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

leaving them alone after a ride did nothing either, so it seems neither just letting it dry or washing it stopped the inevitable happening and it just falling apart

this ones defo fairing better than the original after the same amount of rides though

iainc

well, top marks to Evans. Went in with lid and problem pads about 11 yesterday, had a call yesterday early afternoon to say that new pads would be getting sent, then a call at 915 this morning to say they were in and ready to collect.

So glad I bought this one from an actual shop rather than Wiggle as previously…

Will see how long the pads last this time – they look exactly the same (black ones)

onedpete
    Free Member

I am torn between getting a Chronicle or a Spesh Ambush for my next am lid. I was put off by the pad issues on the Montaro, sounds like a right ball ache!! The Chronicle pads are different to the montaro ones, wonder if they’d retro fit a Montaro??

onedpete
    Free Member

Anyone got a Chronicle or an Ambush? What’s the low down?

iainc

I tried the chronicle as well as Montaro. Chronicle was a bit weird at back of my head, almost too deep, montaro much better fit for me.

I don’t like the Ambush (my son has one) due to the fixed length ear straps. They fit some folk well, others not.

iainc

Ah well, first ride with the new pads yesterday and they have now started to come apart…. I have, through various warranties now got 3 spare sets so will use them all and once they all all knackered attempt a refund on the lid and buy something else.

Toxic sweat or crap design, who knows 🙁

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I’ve now done 2 rides with my Chronicle and I really like it, no signs of any issues with pads. I bought it before I was aware of the pad issues but I tried both the Chronicle and the Montaro on in the shop and I didn’t notice any difference in fit. However, I am moving from a Spesh Tactic which is now pretty dated in design, the modern style comes much lower rather than being perched on top.
    I was also told the Ambush is about to be updated so you might want to look into that if you’re thinking of getting one (maybe adding MIPS?). Or you can hold out for discounts on the older version.

iainc

….and that’s the end of my Montaro experience 🙁 All the replacement pads I got from both Giro and Evans have come apart, some lasted a ride or 2, some 3 or 4, but they have all split at the edges. Mailed Evans with all the saga and they are happy to give me a full refund, so popping in at lunchtime…

It’s real pity, as it is great fit on my head shape.

It’s now between an Spesh Ambush and POC Tectal, both ordered.

Murray

Ian, cheeky ask – can I have your gopro mount as your returning the helmet?

legend
    Free Member

It’s now between an Spesh Ambush

I just wish I liked the graphics on the Ambush, reckon it’ll be really good otherwise

iainc

^^^ I ordered the red/orange one as pretty plain graphics

edit

Murray – Member
    Ian, cheeky ask – can I have your gopro mount as your returning the helmet?

yes, assuming I can find it in my garage, drop me a mail with address etc (mail in profile)

Cheers

legend
    Free Member

You’ll need to let us know what you think when it turns up. The red and the green (? can’t remember, might be yellow) ones look better but wasn’t sure if they’d actually be more like RED and GREEN like everything else at the moment

Onzadog
    Free Member

Watching with interest as Saturday will be the last chance for mine.

iainc

legend, the Ambush is a very bright shiny finished light red and orange, nicely finished and featherlight. The only negatives for me are that the fixed straps don’t fit round my ears as well as the ones on the Tectal and the vents are off centre, meaning my Joystick would be slightly to one side, weight wise. It’s very comfy though with great adjustments. For me though the POC Tectal, albeit £30 more, is better, with a great fit, central vents and it has a bit more of a premium feel, which it should do at the price.

Dropping the Ambush back into Evans later on.

muddylegs
    Free Member

Spent 5 hours in total in the new lid and pads coming apart! 😐

iainc

muddylegs, yep, that’s about average in my experience. I returned first helmet to Wiggle as they wouldn’t replace pads. Second one was from Evans who were great about getting new pads, however they all fell apart too, and lid was refunded last week 😯

sokre
    Free Member

Guys anyone using Montaro or Chronicle M size?
    Can anyone measure it across (side to side)?
    Heard these come smaller due to MIPS.

I seem to be on the border with 58.5cm.

iainc

I had both in M and all my other Giro lids are/were M. The MIPS ones are maybe 1cm max smaller than the non MIPS ones. I am in the middle of the Medium range so no issue for me. Free returns on Wiggle and CRC anyway (you will likely need to use the service anyway if you buy a Montaro….)

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Giro Montaro – have they sorted the pads yet ?’ is closed to new replies.